It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 10:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell ($) vs McCombs vs Foster ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Cornell ($) vs McCombs vs Foster ($$) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 09:22
Thought I'd see if others have more opinions or ideas about my current situation. I've been going over pros and cons but am worried I have some inherent biases, so I welcome any ideas or thoughts that I should consider.

Schools:
McCombs in Austin, where I currently live, offered no scholarship money (I did email them asking for some to offset the other schools). Strong presence in tech, no cost of living additions, but it has strong placement in TX where I do not want to live post MBA.

Cornell offered a small scholarship compared to overall cost. Would be borrowing near full amount to include cost of living expenses. Ivy League weight is heavy, but for my goals it's at a disadvantage compared to the other schools.

Foster offered basically a 50% scholarship plus in state tuition. Adding cost of living amounts and it is still a little cheaper than staying in Austin and paying full in state for McCombs. Location is also desirable and placement is great into Microsoft.

My info:
5.5 years of engineering (3 of leadership) in a high tech manufacturing environment.

Goal is to move to PM/Strategy role at Microsoft (dream company) or other large, high tech company. Backup plan is 2-3 years tech/strategy/ops consulting then leveraging into tech.

I would love to get a job in Colorado, Pacific Northwest, and am open to roles in Minnesota and non-NYC east coast. My wife and I have zero desire to live in TX. She will continue working/living in Austin regardless of my choice because she is a high earner and in a leadership engineering position.
Intern
Intern
Re: Cornell ($) vs McCombs vs Foster ($$) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 13:29
How do you feel about possibly working for Amazon?

I think if you went to Foster, you'd have a pretty good shot at Microsoft or Amazon.

You could go back to Austin via Dell. Foster usually sends a couple people to Dell.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 18:56
sampson wrote:
How do you feel about possibly working for Amazon?

I think if you went to Foster, you'd have a pretty good shot at Microsoft or Amazon.

You could go back to Austin via Dell. Foster usually sends a couple people to Dell.

From what I've heard of people at Amazon, I don't think I'd want to work there. Microsoft's culture feels more like a fit to me.

For Dell, I'd prefer not to live in Austin (or Texas in general) like I said. I'd really prefer to not live in the south.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 10:31
To the user that PM'd me, it looks like private message receipt is disabled on your side so I can't actually respond.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 14:08
What school did you go with?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 14:16
indecisive wrote:
What school did you go with?

Still uncertain, but I think I've narrowed it to only McCombs and Foster. Hopefully Welcome Weekend at Foster in early February clears it up.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Booth '17 (M)
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 17:35
will you qualify for in-state tuition at mccombs? if so, it's a no brainer.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 19:10
jessepinkman wrote:
will you qualify for in-state tuition at mccombs? if so, it's a no brainer.

I actually have a house in Austin. That's why I think they didn't offer any scholarship since I already live here.

But the main reason I'm so torn is because I really don't want to live in Texas long term. I'm worried UT will lead me to stay.
Re: Cornell ($) vs McCombs vs Foster ($$)   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2018, 19:10

Cornell ($) vs McCombs vs Foster ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: jessepinkman, Wilch, teleste

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap