Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3066 [82]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [8]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 679 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1237 [1]
Send PM
Re: Crimes are mainly committed by the young, and for this reason merely [#permalink]
Kudos
agree with A.

The original passage states nothing about prison terms (b), military constriction for 17-19 y/o (c), leaving school (d), educational or recreational activities.

The original passage states:
- Young people commit majority of the crimes
- Increasing police expenditures will not reduce the crime rate
- Only way to reduce crime rate is to reduce the number of people in the age range 14-30.

These statements would support the the argument AGAINST having any law enforcement program (expenditure) to reduce the crime rate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: Crimes are mainly committed by the young, and for this reason merely [#permalink]
Kudos
Initially, I was confused too after reading the question. But looks like "A" is the best choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
How can A be the answer here? Option B increasing prison terms for young people found guilty of crimes is one of the law enforcement programs that can be taken to control crime. option B is actually a sub-set of option A. If B is disqualified, A must be wrong also.
the likelihood that any law enforcement program ... word any includes all possible measures. Experts please confirm.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
A seems plausible: the likelihood that any law enforcement program will be effective in reducing the crime rate within a short time

from which paper test did u get this question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
empanado wrote:
eyunni wrote:
Crimes are mainly committed by the young, and for this reason merely increasing the number of police officers or expenditures on police services has little effect on reducing the crime rate. In fact, the only factor associated with a crime-rate drop is a decrease in the number of people in the community aged fourteen to thirty.

The findings above can best serve as part of an argument against

(A) the likelihood that any law enforcement program will be effective in reducing the crime rate within a short time
Best answer.

(B) increasing prison terms for young people found guilty of crimes
Increasing prison terms will reduce the number of young people in the streets, therefore decreasing the crime rate.

(C) introducing compulsory military conscription for people aged seventeen to nineteen
Again, this will reduce the number of young people on the streets --> reducing crime rate

(D) raising the age at which students are permitted to leave school
Will reduce the number of young people on the streets --> reducing crime rate

(E) a community’s plan to increase the number of recreational and educational activities in which young adults can participate
Will reduce the number of young people on the streets --> reducing crime rate

Can someone please help me with this?
Thanks.

Unless I am missing something here, it is a pretty straightforward A.

The findings can actually be used to support all other answer choices.

yup buddy its A :) check the similarities of all answers, and check what questions stem demanded : question stem wants to decrease the number of youngsters between an age group and all wrong answers make youngster engage in activities to decrease their numbers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
simi200207 wrote:
Crimes are mainly committed by the young, and for this reason merely increasing the number of police officers or expenditures on police services has little effect on reducing the crime rate. In fact, the only factor associated with a crime-rate drop is a decrease in the number of people in the community aged fourteen to thirty.

(A) the likelihood that any law enforcement program will be effective in reducing the crime rate within a short time
(C) introducing compulsory military conscription for people aged seventeen to nineteen
(E) a community’s plan to increase the number of recreational and educational activities in which young adults can participate

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

hi please make "expenditures" singular as it does not fit the verb "has".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This argument is AGAINST an increase in law enforcement to deter crime and FOR measures that protect the community against criminal youth. A is the only argument FOR law enfocement while the rest are FOR measures against youth. Again, this argument is FOR measures against youth and looking to DISPELL the police theory. Since A is for and and the prompt is looking to DISCREDIT the police theory, the correct answer is A (to discredit)..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [2]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

What I think is : this is sort of reverse question. The given statement work as a weakener and you have to find a conclusion for that, which weakens this conclusion. (as it is against)

A - any law enforcement program will not be effective in reducing the crime rate within a short time. :- The arguments says that only factor which is responsible for crime rate drop is "Age" nothing else will help. so Law enforcement will not help effective in reducing the crime rate. In long run crime will reduce because by that time, youngsters cross their age and will reach beyond thirty.

(E) a community’s plan to increase the number of recreational and educational activities in which young adults can participate :- Will the argument is against this? The question stem only provides link between crime rate and age.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja I am not able to understand the question type and how exactly am i supposed to weaken/approach it.

The little i have deciphered is :

ONLY by decreasing the no. of Young ppl --------> Decrease the Crime Rate

( Merely increasing no. of police officers or expenditure on police service would have little effect )

Question says: The findings (FACTS ) above will WEAKEN which of the following ARGUMENT below? = (I assumed now that the ans. choices would weaken the argument i framed above)

Here,
if it were X leads to/ causes/ will lead to Y, an Alternative cause wouldn't have worked.
ONLY X ---> Y kind of a question. Since the word ONLY is mentioned , we can have an alternative cause to weaken the effect.

I only find choice A as a potential alternative cause and a weakener for the above argument as it in someway (law enforcement program will be effective) can be linked with increasing police officers giving the desired result.

Could you kindly guide me on the logic I used and whether my approach is correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sahilbhatia21 wrote:
GMATNinja I am not able to understand the question type and how exactly am i supposed to weaken/approach it.

The little i have deciphered is :

ONLY by decreasing the no. of Young ppl --------> Decrease the Crime Rate

( Merely increasing no. of police officers or expenditure on police service would have little effect )

Question says: The findings (FACTS ) above will WEAKEN which of the following ARGUMENT below? = (I assumed now that the ans. choices would weaken the argument i framed above)

Here,
if it were X leads to/ causes/ will lead to Y, an Alternative cause wouldn't have worked.
ONLY X ---> Y kind of a question. Since the word ONLY is mentioned , we can have an alternative cause to weaken the effect.

I only find choice A as a potential alternative cause and a weakener for the above argument as it in someway (law enforcement program will be effective) can be linked with increasing police officers giving the desired result.

Could you kindly guide me on the logic I used and whether my approach is correct?

I think you're on the right track. Just remember that (A) is not a weakener itself. The question stem states, "The findings above can best serve as part of an argument against..."

So, looking at (A), we need to argue AGAINST the likelihood "that any law enforcement program will be effective in reducing the crime rate within a short time". In other words, we need to argue that it is UNLIKELY "that any law enforcement program will be effective in reducing the crime rate within a short time."

The statements in the passage would certainly support that view. We are told that 1) "merely increasing the number of police officers or expenditures on police services has little effect on reducing the crime rate" and that 2) "the only factor associated with a crime-rate drop is a decrease in the number of people in the community aged fourteen to thirty".

A law enforcement program would NOT decrease the number of 14-30 year-old people in the community. Also, increasing expenditures on police services (such as a law enforcement program), "has little effect on reducing the crime rate". Therefore, it is UNLIKELY "that any law enforcement program will be effective in reducing the crime rate within a short time."

That's why (A) is the correct choice. I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

Thank you for your great explanation.

However, in A , how can we know that "any law enforcement program " would not include program that can reduce the number of the young?

Please explain.

Thank you.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
ballest127 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Thank you for your great explanation.

However, in A , how can we know that "any law enforcement program " would not include program that can reduce the number of the young?

Please explain.

Thank you.

A law enforcement program that decreases the number of people in the community aged fourteen to thirty would have to involve law enforcement literally ending the lives of these young people, moving them out of the community, or somehow reversing or accelerating their age.

It's highly unlikely that this kind of action falls under the author's definition of law enforcement programs meant to reduce the crime rate (like increasing the number of police officers or increasing expenditures on police services).

Also remember that our task is NOT to pick an argument that must be true in 100% of potential scenarios. Even if reducing the number of youth falls under the range of potential law enforcement programs, (A) is still the best-fitting argument, and every other choice can be eliminated.

I hope this helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
B is supported by the passage, so its out. If an answer choice is supported by the argument then it cant really serve as an argument against here
C is incorrect because if anything it misses the full-scope of the argument.
D is incorrect because its not really related to the argument - we would need to assume some sort of tie between crime and kids at school and we would need to assume that people who have finished school but are in the age bracket of 18-30 don't commit nearly as much crime.
E is incorrect not remotely related.

A is correct as the passage states that the only way to reduce the crime is by reducing the number of those aged X in the community and this obviously won't happen overnight, so the claim that it does happen quickly will be argued against heavily by the information in the passage
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
dcummins wrote:
B is supported by the passage, so its out. If an answer choice is supported by the argument then it cant really serve as an argument against here
C is incorrect because if anything it misses the full-scope of the argument.
D is incorrect because its not really related to the argument - we would need to assume some sort of tie between crime and kids at school and we would need to assume that people who have finished school but are in the age bracket of 18-30 don't commit nearly as much crime.
E is incorrect not remotely related.

A is correct as the passage states that the only way to reduce the crime is by reducing the number of those aged X in the community and this obviously won't happen overnight, so the claim that it does happen quickly will be argued against heavily by the information in the passage

Please could you help me understand why (E) is incorrect?

I Thought (E) increases the number of people aged 14 - 30. This in turn would increase the crime rate and the argument is all about decreasing the number of people aged 14 - 30 in the community in order to decrease the crime rate

Thus, the argument would clearly go against such a community plan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Crimes are mainly committed by the young, and for this reason merely [#permalink]
Conclusion: The only way to reduce crime is to reduce the number of young people
Support: Any action taking to confine young people or to make young busy with other activities will support argument.
Against: Any alternative action that is talking about reducing crime will be against the argument.

POE:
(A) the likelihood that any law enforcement program will be effective in reducing the crime rate within a short time Correct
-Gives alternative way to reduce crime
(B) increasing prison terms for young people found guilty of crimes Incorrect
- Support the argument. It talks about confining young people.
(C) introducing compulsory military conscription for people aged seventeen to nineteen Incorrect
- Support the argument. It talks about confining young people.
(D) raising the age at which students are permitted to leave school Incorrect
- Support the argument. It talks about confining young in school
(E) a community’s plan to increase the number of recreational and educational activities in which young adults can
participate Incorrect
- Support the argument. It talks about making them
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
Hoozan

Hi Hoozan,
Don't know if your doubt is resolved or not. I came across your query and thought to add my 2 cents.

The entire passage focuses on the crime rate in the city, police personal, and expenditures.
In short crux, increasing the police officers or spending is not a good idea because crimes are committed by the young.

Now option E is giving you a plan to increase the number of adults in the community by indulging in some activities. This has no relation with police services, crime rate, or expenditures. The passage presented above is not written with the view that we should decrease the number of adults in the community, but with a view that increasing the personal or expenditure is a futile idea. The last line of the passage is just given as a suggestion for crime rate drop, which I assume you are getting confused with.
Hope this helps.

KarishmaB Ma'am,
Request your evaluation.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
The question stem complicates the simple argument. The question means the findings above go against which of the following statements? What can not be inferred from the statements above?

The statement says -
Crimes are mainly committed by the young.
    Merely increasing the number of police officers OR
    expenditures on police services
- has little effect on reducing the crime rate
Only factor associated with a crime-rate drop is a decrease in the number of people in the community aged fourteen to thirty.

(A) the likelihood that any law enforcement program will be effective in reducing the crime rate within a short time - the likelihood of a decrease in crime rate within a short period is not supported by the argument. How can we decrease crime when the only way that shows the crime rate is to decrease the number of people? All the statements in the argument go against this statement.
(B) increasing prison terms for young people found guilty of crimes - if we increase the prison term, there will be fewer young people > less crime rate. This can be inferred from the statements.
(C) introducing compulsory military conscription for people aged seventeen to nineteen - if we introduce compulsory military conscription, there will be fewer young people > a lower crime rate. This can be inferred from the statements.
(D) raising the age at which students are permitted to leave school - if we raise the age, there will be fewer young people (they need to be with an adult ) > a lower crime rate. This can be inferred from the statements.
(E) a community’s plan to increase the number of recreational and educational activities in which young adults can participate. - if a community plans to increase the number of recreational and educational activities, there will be fewer young people (fewer young people roaming outside freely) > and a lower crime rate. This can be inferred from the statements.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts