It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Currently finishing undergrad.... When to take GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Currently finishing undergrad.... When to take GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 07:27
I will be graduating with my undergraduate degree in engineering in 2018 and am wondering about when to take the GMAT. I was wondering if it makes any sense to take it within my final year of undergrad as I feel like I will be in more of a test taking mindset than I will be after a few years in the workforce. I know that I want to have 2-3 years of full time work experience before returning for an MBA and a GMAT can last 5 years, so is there a downside of taking it the year I graduate with my bachelors?

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3421 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Currently finishing undergrad.... When to take GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 13:39
Hi knewman,

Since your Official GMAT Score will be valid for 5 years from the date that you take the Test, there's a potential advantage to studying for the GMAT in the near future (while you're in "School mode"). By taking care of the GMAT now - and 'locking up' a competitive score - you won't have to worry about studying later on (when you're already working a full-time job and juggling other aspects of a busy lifestyle). Of course, this type of plan completely hinges on the idea that you'll be applying to Business School in the next several years, but you appear to be forward-thinking enough to have an idea of what your plans are going to be.

1) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3421 [0], given: 172

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 23:20
knewman wrote:
I will be graduating with my undergraduate degree in engineering in 2018 and am wondering about when to take the GMAT. I was wondering if it makes any sense to take it within my final year of undergrad as I feel like I will be in more of a test taking mindset than I will be after a few years in the workforce. I know that I want to have 2-3 years of full time work experience before returning for an MBA and a GMAT can last 5 years, so is there a downside of taking it the year I graduate with my bachelors?
Do you think that your GMAT prep will negatively impact your academics? The GMAT is not the only thing schools consider.

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 4

BSchool Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 104

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 01:16
knewman wrote:

From my personal experience, I know that the final year of an Engineering degree can become very stressful. Since the GMAT score is valid for 5 years it might be better to postpone it until after you graduate. Focus on one step at a time and don't rush things. This is especially important since most MBA programs require a few years work experience before you apply to Bschool.

Kindly click on the +1 Kudos if you found my post helpful. Thank you! :)

|
|
|
V

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 104

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 2

GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 05:43
knewman wrote:

If I'd the chance to take it while i was still studying, I would taken it. Work can get stressful once you start and you may never find enough time to study. Plus, you lose grasp of a few basic concepts which would again require time to regain. So, go ahead! All the best :)

Hit +1 Kudos If you like my post! :)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 22:02
From my own involvement, I realize that the last year of an Engineering degree can turn out to be exceptionally unpleasant. Since the GMAT score is legitimate for a long time it may be smarter to defer it until after you graduate. Concentrate on with extra special care and don't surge things. This is particularly essential since most MBA programs require a couple of years work understanding before you apply to Bschool.

Re: Currently finishing undergrad.... When to take GMAT?   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 22:02

Currently finishing undergrad.... When to take GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap