GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 19:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Dallol Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places with a recorded

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
Dallol Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places with a recorded  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 12:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (00:52) correct 44% (01:03) wrong based on 145 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 66 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Dallol, Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places, with a recorded annual temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit, which is higher than in any other country on earth.

A) which is higher than in

B) which is higher than it is

C) and higher than that of

D) higher than that of

E) higher than in

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up.
--Jesse Jackson

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Dallol Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places with a recorded  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 22:16
Which should be used to refer to 94 degree Fahrenheit other wise it would be an independent clause after the comma, which is incorrect.
That eliminates options C,D and E.

Option B doesn't convey the correct meaning.It doesn't compare temperaturea between the two countries.

So option A correctly does that and is Correct.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User
Dallol Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places with a recorded  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jan 2019, 00:40
Dallol, Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places, with a recorded annual temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit, which is higher than in any other country on earth.

Meaning of the sentence is pretty clear. We just have to pay close attention to the modifiers and entities they modify.
Basic rule of "which" modifiers:
- they modify the noun that precedes the comma or if to be more accurately, "which" can modify noun+prepositional phrase that immediately precedes the comma.

Please see more about "which" in Ron's video (perfect explanation)

In the given sentence only "which" correctly modifies prededing noun+pp "annual temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit", so we are perfectly fine with it.

POE

(as we discussed "which" is fine, "higher that" correct constraction for comparison, "in" preposition of a place - we are comparing temperature in Ethiopia and in other parts of the world, so comparison is also clear)

("it" -? - refers to? -"Ethiopia"? "Temperature"?, pronoun ambiguity is not a catastrophic disaster on GMAT SC but we don't need a IC (independent clause) here, moreover which has already started dependedt clause)

("and" //ism marker and indicator of the presence of the list, but there is no conctraction to be made //, "that of any other country on earth"-illogical, we need "in" place preposition)

D) higher than that of
(,+higher - is not a better option to start IC or DC whatever, that of any other country on earth"-illogical, we need "in" place preposition)

E) higher than in
(,+higher - is not a better option to start IC or DC whatever, "in" is fine)

A is the answer

(please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, thank you)

Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone!

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

Originally posted by GKomoku on 11 Jan 2019, 23:16.
Last edited by GKomoku on 12 Jan 2019, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: Dallol Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places with a recorded  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 00:33
IMO D

Comparison is between recorded annual temp of Ethiopia with recorded temp of any other country

Higher than .....Noun modifier...correctly modifying the 94 degree Fahrenheit

Posted from my mobile device

"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 08:55
Meaning Analysis : -

- The author wants to convey that Dallol has the highest temperature as compared to any other place in the world
- We are comparing temperature in dallol vs all other paces

Now lets see the options

A) which is higher than in---> Incorrect. The option is comparing the temperature to all other places

B) which is higher than it is---> Incorrect. What does it refer to?

C) and higher than that of---> Incorrect. This option does compare the temperature in dallol vs the temperature in all other places. But the "and" in the sentence is not connecting two independent clauses

D) higher than that of ---> Correct. bingo! now the comparison is correct.

E) higher than in---> Incorrect. The option makes the same mistake as option A

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 20:32

D) higher than that of
E) higher than in

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Note: The OE from the source has a strange error that I am going to rewrite. The typeface in blue is mine.

The sentence is supposed to compare the average temperature in Ethiopia to the average temperatures of other countries

• Options A and E compare the average temperature in Ethiopia to other countries.
average temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit is different from a country.

In options A and E, the temperature itself is "higher" than any other country.
The temperature is not higher than any other country.

The temperature needs to be "higher" than a temperature in any other country

• choices C and D differ only in that C incorrectly uses and to introduce a contrast.
Eliminate C.

Between B and D, D is more concise and is therefore correct.

We need the sentence to say:
E is one of the world's hottest places, with an annual temperature of 94° F, higher than [the annual temperature of/in] any other country.

• We can use a relative pronoun, which, to refer to "temperature of . . ." followed by a verb, as is the case in option B.

Option (B) in the sentence
Dallol, Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places, with a recorded annual temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit, which is higher than it is any other country on earth.

OR
• We can make a "copy" of temperature with the pronoun that, as is the case in option D.

E's temperature is hotter than the temperature of all other countries.
E's temperature is hotter than THAT OF of all other countries.

D) in the sentence
Dallol, Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places, with a recorded annual temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit, higher than that of any other country on earth.

Option D is better.

COMMENTS

This question is a challenge. Option B is not wrong.
Option B is not as good as option D.
(No pronoun ambiguity exists in B. The logical referent is "average temperature." That antecedent is fine.)

pikolo2510 wrote the best answer. Kudos!

--Jesse Jackson

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 22:59
generis wrote:

D) higher than that of
E) higher than in

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Note: The OE from the source has a strange error that I am going to rewrite. The typeface in blue is mine.

The sentence is supposed to compare the average temperature in Ethiopia to the average temperatures of other countries

• Options A and E compare the average temperature in Ethiopia to other countries.
average temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit is different from a country.

In options A and E, the temperature itself is "higher" than any other country.
The temperature is not higher than any other country.

The temperature needs to be "higher" than a temperature in any other country

• choices C and D differ only in that C incorrectly uses and to introduce a contrast.
Eliminate C.

• Between B and D, D is more concise and is therefore correct.

We need the sentence to say:
E is one of the world's hottest places, with an annual temperature of 94° F, higher than [the annual temperature of/in] any other country.

• We can use a relative pronoun, which, to refer to "temperature of . . ." followed by a verb, as is the case in option B.

B) in the sentence
Dallol, Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places, with a recorded annual temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit, which is higher than it is any other country on earth.

• We can make a "copy" of temperature with the pronoun that, as is the case in option D.

E's temperature is hotter than the temperature of all other countries.
E's temperature is hotter than THAT OF of all other countries.

D) in the sentence
Dallol, Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places, with a recorded annual temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit, higher than that of any other country on earth.

Option D is better.

COMMENTS

This question is a challenge. Option B is not wrong.
Option B is not as good as option D.
(No pronoun ambiguity exists in B. The logical referent is "average temperature." That antecedent is fine.)

pikolo2510 wrote the best answer. Kudos!

Thank you generis
I've learned alot from it :thumbup:

(please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, thank you)

Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone!

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 09:32
GKomoku wrote:

Thank you generis
I've learned alot from it :thumbup:

GKomoku , thanks for the feedback. I am glad to know that my analysis was helpful. :)

--Jesse Jackson

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Dallol Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places with a recorded &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jan 2019, 09:32

Dallol Ethiopia is one of the world's hottest places with a recorded

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap