Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q40 V39
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 2.89
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Seeking Advice - The better date to retake the GMAT? [#permalink]
Hi Evan,

This was my first GMAT, and I am definitely retaking it! It's just a matter of when at this point! I have two options which I would greatly appreciate any available advice on!

I'm currently living in Australia and we're making our annual trip back to the US to visit friends and family. We arrive to Indiana on September 25, and depart for Sydney on October 24th. During this visit home, we have the following planned:

- September 25 - Arrive home to Indiana
- October 1 - Drive 13 hours to North Carolina for wedding with wife
- October 7-8 - Drive 13 hours back to Indiana
- October 10-11 - Wedding in Indianapolis (1 hour from home) - Groomsmen
- October 18 - Wedding near home
- October 24 - Fly back to Australia

The way I see it, is that I have two options:

1) Take the test when I'm home (likely October 20-21) an hour from home
Advantage - No work, can theoretically study as much as I need to. Family is around to help with 3 year old child and pregnant wife (~15 weeks by this point)
Disadvantage - A lot going on during timeframe. Less time to study. Testing in unfamiliar location

2) Take the test when I'm back in Australia (Nov 12 - allowing for jetlag to wear off and back into routine)
Advantage - More time to study. Familiar location (I've already taken the exam here). Better study set up/less distraction
Disadvantage - Dragging the study out longer. Back at work in management position in the middle of a few large projects that I'm leading that span the country. Hard to allocate time to study with work here, primary point of contact with Swedish partner, and pregnant wife (will be ~19 weeks by this point)

At this point I'm planning on going through ALL my study material again (Manhattan GMAT books, Veritas Prep Books/Online, OG13) Then adding in GMATClub Quant/Verbal PDF, E-GMAT Sentence Correction) and keeping an actual error log, which I didn't do the first time.

I have been working on the rest of my application and plan to apply in R2 to LBS, Chicago-Booth, and Berkeley. Either route leaves enough time to retake the test one more time prior to the deadline if needed.

Ending consideration: I think I actually know why my verbal dropped so much. At the end of my study (just prior to my 610 practice and 610 actual) I was methodically going through answer choices on verbal using A-E on almost every question. The first pass was only excluding the "definitely" wrong answers, and working from there using decision points and POE. When I was at the end I wasn't using this process on OG questions and that carried over to my actual exam. It didn't hit me for a few days, but I'm about 90% sure that is why I went backwards. All my other higher end scores (670, 680, 660, 680, 680) I used my method approach, and then BAM dropping scores just looking at the screen and deciding an answer

Ready.Set.Go!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Additional information (whether relevant or irrelevant)

Official GMAT AWA: 6.0
Official GMAT IR: 7

I also attached a document of what it likely looks like to get through everything in time if I were to take the exam while home on October 20. The one weekend prior to leaving, I've been given a 'pass' by the wife to spend the entire day in the office studying.
Attachments

Theoretical Study Plan - Test October 20.xlsx [12.17 KiB]
Downloaded 50 times

GMAT Club Bot