GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United State

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Re: Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United State  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 09:09
Hi expert,
I couldn't dissect the argument.What does the second sentence explain?
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United State  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 21:19
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
I couldn't dissect the argument.What does the second sentence explain?

The second part of the second sentence (the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas) is important for arriving at option C.

The (domestic) machine tools industry wants the government to ban or hinder imports of machine tools so that the domestic industry flourishes. In order to support its petition (to persuade the government to hinder the imports), the industry has cited that national security may be compromised if machine tools are imported.

Option C explains why the industry did so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2017, 08:45
olive wrote:
Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war would be seriously endangered if the machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industrys raising the issue above regarding national security?

A. When the aircraft industries retooled, they provided a large amount of work for too builders.

B. The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry.

C. The machine-tool industry encountered difficulty in obtaining governmental protection against imports on grounds other than defense.

D. A few weapons important for defense consist of parts that do not require extensive machining.

E. Several federal government programs have been designed which will enable domestic machine-tool manufacturing firms to compete successfully with foreign toolmakers.

To explain : he machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

A. When the aircraft industries retooled, they provided a large amount of work for tool builders.
Out of scope . Topic is related to defense .

B. The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry.
Irrelevant

C. The machine-tool industry encountered difficulty in obtaining governmental protection against imports on grounds other than defense.
This choice explains machine tool industry raised national security issue because it was unable to obtain protection against any other factor except defense.

D. A few weapons important for defense consist of parts that do not require extensive machining.
Irrelevant

E. Several federal government programs have been designed which will enable domestic machine-tool manufacturing firms to compete successfully with foreign toolmakers.
Irrelevant

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 22:02
Even after going through the above explanations, I am not able to understand the following argument itself. Can anyone please help in explaining the argument only.

Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war would be seriously endangered if the machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

My understanding :

Defense Department is worried about the ability of the US to wage and support a prolonged war is endangered if machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. (Some Machine Tool manufacturing Base is shrinking which will endanger the ability of the US to wage(?) a prolonged war, this is causing Defense Department to worry)

Now, there is some connection of security issue with some import quota issue (I am not able to get this statement at all, please can you explain). In earlier statement we were talking about the worry of DD which was related to wage a war. Now security issue I get, but what is the meaning of import quota?
Security Issue - US not able to wage a war, so it can be a security concern
Import Quota Issue - As per my understanding, the import of machine tools by machine-tool manufacturing base, as it is shrinking

The machine tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas. (As cannot follow the above line, so this conclusion does not make any sense to me) Even I did not get what does it mean "National Security Issue for Import Quotas". The security issue was that US was not able to wage a prolonged war, than how that is linked to import quotas.

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 23:17
TGC wrote:
pqhai wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Can some expert pour in and explain please.

I am unable to get the stimulus itself,answering it is another step.

Plz Advise!

Rgds,
TGC !!

Hi TGC,

First of all, we need to understand the logic of quotas. The reason for setting import quotas is to protect internal industries from competition of foreign competitors.
There are two cases:
(1) No quotas: Internal industries will have difficulties because foreign competitors can sell products without any restrictions.
(2) Have quotas: Internal industries will NOT have difficulties because there are some limitations for foreign competitors.

This is resolve the paradox question, so what is paradox here? The paradox is: If there are import quotas, Machine Tool Industry (MTI) should be protected and will grow. But why MTI still maintains that the import quotas policies do not help?

The reason is:
Machine Tool Industry products = Defense products + Other products.

MTI will have difficulties if
(1) Sales of Defense products decline
(2) Sales of Other products decline
(3) Sale of both Defense products and Other products decline

In this question, MTI asks for help because the industry's sales of other products account for bigger portion of the industry's sales. BUT this segment does not have protection from government ==> MTI industry cannot grow ==> It will affect the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war.

C says exactly the same reason. Hence, it is correct.

Hope my post helps you.

Hi,

Although your explanation is appropriate,I am still unable to get the stimulus as to why it is a paradox.

Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

Above statement says that "Before DD connected security with import , MTI raised NSI in its petition for Import Quotas".Somehow I am unable to get this statement because of the usage of "However".Don't know where the contrast lies when MTI and DD both are connecting Security Issue with the Imports.

Shrinkage of MTI => USA ability decreases to wage a prolonged war.

Plz Advise

Rgds,
TGC !

Q says before DD connected, the MTI complained. Option C is correct because even if defense products were smooth and sales were good, other products could have a problem where the import quota isn't there. So MTI raised the issue.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 23:31
vnigam21 wrote:
Even after going through the above explanations, I am not able to understand the following argument itself. Can anyone please help in explaining the argument only.

My understanding :

Defense Department is worried about the ability of the US to wage and support a prolonged war is endangered if machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. (Some Machine Tool manufacturing Base is shrinking which will endanger the ability of the US to wage(?) a prolonged war, this is causing Defense Department to worry)

Now, there is some connection of security issue with some import quota issue (I am not able to get this statement at all, please can you explain). In earlier statement we were talking about the worry of DD which was related to wage a war. Now security issue I get, but what is the meaning of import quota?
Import Quota Issue - As per my understanding, the import of machine tools by machine-tool manufacturing base, as it is shrinking

The machine tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas. (As cannot follow the above line, so this conclusion does not make any sense to me) Even I did not get what does it mean "National Security Issue for Import Quotas". The security issue was that US was not able to wage a prolonged war, than how that is linked to import quotas.

Let me attempt:

You are correct in understanding the security concern and the import quota issue.

What happens if there is import quota? Some reservation will be there hence no competition for those seats from foreign > This prevents the shrinking of manufacturing base. Makes sense?

Now, the link between the two that you are looking for is:

If the import quota isn't there > manufacturing base could shrink > leading to security concern.

Now - before DD could connect, the MTI raised this issue to NSI. Why do you think this could have happened?

Probably there is a chance of other departement/ products declining because he did not know about the import quota, competition etc so he jist raised the issue to NSI.

Does it sound logical?

Others can second/correct if needed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 18:58
vnigam21 wrote:

My understanding :

The link that you are missing is the link the question assumes (and even other questions will assume). The link is between the imports of goods and the impact on the local industry. What happens if there are imports of goods? It negatively impacts the local industry. Right? What if we limit the imports through some import quota? It'll be better for the local industry. Right?

Now, if your security is at stake if an industry shrinks further, isn't it logical that you'll start thinking of import quotas in that industry so that the local industry is saved?

- Chiranjeev

My articles:
My experience with GMAT (Score 780) and My analysis of my ESR
Three pillars of a successful GMAT strategy
Critical Reasoning and The Life of a GMAT Student
The 'Although' Misconception
Dear GMAT Aspirant, You need not swim against the tide

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 20:29
DD - shrinking of machine tooling industry will have a negative effect on national security - ability to defend the country.
MT Industry - Import of goods are negatively affecting the industry.

MT issued a warning before DD connected defence to import goods as an issue.

Link - MT could not get protection before on other grounds.

A - irrelevant
B - trick option really. They might have been marginally concerned before, but they did get concerned by the end of the argument. OUT.
C - yes. Keep.
D - irrelevant. OUT
E - doesn’t help answer the question. OUT.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 13:21
Paradaox -
Import quota - minimum limit on import.
It is important to understand that " Import Quota limit" can be good for one group and bad for another.

current supply for defense = Manufacturing industry + import

Manufacturing industry suppy may decrease so defense department wants to increase import hence increase import quota limit.

Import quota limit is bad for Defense Department because manufacture industry may shrink and for prolonged war defense department required more defense supply.
On the other hand,
import quota limit is good for Machine tool industry because it will help against foreign competition. Hence, machine tool industry wants the quota limit to be present or not increased.

Now, Paradox is-

Defense department wanted to use national security to increase quota raising security concern.
Machine tool industry gave same national security reason to put quota.

Why?

Option C explains that it will be easier to get the quota implemented by giving defense related (national security related) issue.

No other option explains this paradox.

Difficult part - It is difficult to comprehend that what is import quota and it can swing both ways good or bad for different groups.

Cheers!!
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 11:29
I spent 3:30 minutes on this question and got it wrong.

I narrowed down the choices to B and C. Ultimately, I chose

My rationale: if the The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry, then maybe The Defense Department did not connect the dots between declining machine tool industry and the effect of that on national security. Therefore, the machine tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas in order to bring the Defense Department's attention to the issue and get support required.

Obviously this is incorrect, but am not sure why. Can anyone please clarify?

Thanks

Migatte no Gokui

VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 04:58
oasis90 wrote:
I spent 3:30 minutes on this question and got it wrong.

I narrowed down the choices to B and C. Ultimately, I chose

My rationale: if the The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry, then maybe The Defense Department did not connect the dots between declining machine tool industry and the effect of that on national security. Therefore, the machine tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas in order to bring the Defense Department's attention to the issue and get support required.

Obviously this is incorrect, but am not sure why. Can anyone please clarify?

Thanks

Hey friend, let me try to help you. What I don't like about this question is that it is expecting someone to know somethings such as below lines, else its hard to do.

An import quota is a type of trade restriction that sets a physical limit on the quantity of a good that can be imported into a country in a given period of time.Quotas, like other trade restrictions, are typically used to benefit the producers of a good in that economy.

Premise: for prolonged war they need machine-tool manufacturing. but this industry is shrinking. with import quota issue whole situation become gigantic. DDP want to raise this one but machine-tool industry raised first.

Pre-thinking: Why indeed machine-tool industry raised this issue? Well this industry is shrinking , this means either demand for tools is less or imports are too high. as industry raised quota issue, i think its high import problem. So if we focus on why there is high imports, it will take us in right direction.

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industry's raising the issue above regarding national security?

(A) When the aircraft industries retooled, they provided a large amount of work for too builders. ---- this is not addressing the real problem on import fronts.

(B) The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry.---- this is not addressing the real problem on import fronts.

(C) The machine-tool industry encountered difficulty in obtaining governmental protection against imports on grounds other than defense. --- this is interesting choice. let say tools this industry make are used both defense and commercial purpose. but industry has been encouraged by gov only for defense sector, while commercial sector is relying more on imports and gov is not doing anything about it. this industry is shrinking because that one is glooming.

(D) A few weapons important for defense consist of parts that do not require extensive machining.---- this is not addressing the real problem on import fronts.

(E) Several federal government programs have been designed which will enable domestic machine-tool manufacturing firms to compete successfully with foreign toolmakers.---- this is not addressing the real problem on import fronts.

Hope it helped, If not please raise a specific question. thanks!

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 08:42
Guest wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: CR 13
Page: 502

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industrys raising the issue above regarding national security?

(A) When the aircraft industries retooled, they provided a large amount of work for too builders.

(B) The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry.

(C) The machine-tool industry encountered difficulty in obtaining governmental protection against imports on grounds other than defense.

(D) A few weapons important for defense consist of parts that do not require extensive machining.

(E) Several federal government programs have been designed which will enable domestic machine-tool manufacturing firms to compete successfully with foreign toolmakers.

Spoiler: :: OE
Since the size of the machine-tool manufacturing base presumably has implications in area beyond national
security, one might find it surprising that the industry raised the security issue in its petition. C, the best answer,
explains that the industry turned to this issue because others tended to be ineffective in efforts to obtain
governmental protection. A explains why the industry might NOT raise the security issue, since it suggests that it
might have raised the issue of jobs instead. B explains why the industry might NOT raise the security issue
about import quotas, since it suggests that the Defense Department had no interest in import quotas whatsoever.
Neither of D and E is relevant to the industry’s choice of strategy for securing import quotas.

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industrys
raising the issue above regarding national security?

A. When the aircraft industries retooled, they provided a large amount of work for toobuilders.
B. The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreigncompetition on the machine-tool industry.
D. A few weapons important for defense consist of parts that do not require extensivemachining.
E. Several federal government programs have been designed which will enable domesticmachine-tool manufacturing firms to compete successfully with foreign toolmakers.

Stimulus states 2 different aspects - one from Defense Dept point of view and other from machine tool industry point of view. Defense dept says that US cannot sustain a prolonged war and needs to import;however, machine tool industry says that import would pose a threat to the national security. Now, we have been asked to find an explanation as to why machine tool industry raised this issue in its petition.

The reason why machine tool industry raised this issue may be because of the fact that industry tried to obtain the same in the past but it might have been rejected on grounds of national security. So, answer goes in favor of C
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United State &nbs [#permalink] 03 Sep 2018, 08:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United State

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap