Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 02:20 It is currently 17 May 2024, 02:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Ding / Reject Analysis - Advice & Reviews Welcome [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey there neashub1

I totally understand the sting of a ding in R2. But hey, that's why we're here – to support each other and strategize for a knockout R1 application!

Let's dissect your profile and see how we can make it shine even brighter for those top schools.

First off, your GMAT score is killer! A 750 puts you head and shoulders above the average applicant at M7 schools. Your experience in sales & trading, especially with a technical background, is impressive. It's awesome that you have a clear post-MBA goal to transition to the buy-side – that shows focus and ambition.

Here's the thing though, for these super competitive programs, well-roundedness is a big deal. Admissions committees want to see you crushing it outside of work too. Think about leadership positions you've held, volunteer work that fired you up, or hobbies that showcase your passions and ability to contribute to a community. While your recent promotion is a fantastic development, maybe we can explore how to weave it into a broader story about your professional growth and achievements.

Honestly, with your current profile and a competitive applicant pool, it might be a bit of a stretch for some M7 schools in R1. But by focusing on building your extracurricular profile and highlighting the impact of your promotion, you can definitely present a much stronger application next round.

Speaking of which, if you'd like to get down in the weeds and analyze your R2 application in detail, I highly recommend scheduling a free 1:1 ding analysis session. It's a fantastic way to understand why things might not have gone your way and craft a winning strategy for the future.

CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A FREE DINGED ANALYSIS SESSION WITH US.

Remember, this ding is just a bump in the road. With some focused effort, you can absolutely crush your applications next round!
neashub1 wrote:
Hi All - after having used Gmat Club extensively over the past year (thank you for all your help!) this is my first post.

I applied in R2 to Harvard and Wharton this year, ie. Class of 2026. Unfortunately, I was declined without interview.

I would like someone to review my profile so that I can understand whether I have a reasonable shot at getting into either of these schools (+ a few select others) this year in round 1. I have received a promotion this year, so that would be the one major change in my application.

M, 28 years old working in London
Gmat - 750
Work - 5 years in sales & trading (sales)
Post MBA - move to buy side in the asset class that I work in (my sales role is one of the more technical sales roles on the trading floor).
University - top 10-20 globally, 2.1 degree

Other - spent 6 months in another financial hub as well as volunteered abroad post university. Relatively limited extra curriculars or awards.

Realistically do I have a better shot at getting into Harvard, Wharton, GSB, Booth in R1? Or given the facts that I am from a competitive cohort and that my application is not likely to be significantly different to when I applied this year, will applying to these schools this year also be a stretch?

Thanks in advance for the frank advice - I’d also be grateful for recommendations of consultants that you may have used for similar work.

Posted from my mobile device

­
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hey there,

You have a competitive profile on paper. As you call to attention, you do belong to a competitive cohort. So do you know if you have significant points of differentiation, and have called it out in your applications?

If no, then brainstorming a bit more on the essays so that they communicate your achievements a bit more impactfully may help.

If you feel you've communicated your EC's and leadership, etc. adequately well, then essentially we are down to playing the lottery.  Sure - by all means you may play again, and play at more shops. That increase your odds of success this time around.

Meaning - consider applying to HW again, but don't have high expectations. Also apply to 3 - 4 more M7/T10 colleges that are of interest to you.

If you wish to chat more, feel free to reach out: https://bit.ly/GM_AugAcd_Profile_Evaluation

Best,
Karthik
neashub1 wrote:
Hi All - after having used Gmat Club extensively over the past year (thank you for all your help!) this is my first post.

I applied in R2 to Harvard and Wharton this year, ie. Class of 2026. Unfortunately, I was declined without interview.

I would like someone to review my profile so that I can understand whether I have a reasonable shot at getting into either of these schools (+ a few select others) this year in round 1. I have received a promotion this year, so that would be the one major change in my application.

M, 28 years old working in London
Gmat - 750
Work - 5 years in sales & trading (sales)
Post MBA - move to buy side in the asset class that I work in (my sales role is one of the more technical sales roles on the trading floor).
University - top 10-20 globally, 2.1 degree

Other - spent 6 months in another financial hub as well as volunteered abroad post university. Relatively limited extra curriculars or awards.

Realistically do I have a better shot at getting into Harvard, Wharton, GSB, Booth in R1? Or given the facts that I am from a competitive cohort and that my application is not likely to be significantly different to when I applied this year, will applying to these schools this year also be a stretch?

Thanks in advance for the frank advice - I’d also be grateful for recommendations of consultants that you may have used for similar work.

­
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
neashub1:

Q: Realistically do I have a better shot at getting into Harvard, Wharton, GSB, Booth in R1?

A: These are some of the hardest schools to get into in the world, so it's not surprising that you didn't get in without interview. It's THAT tough. It's also not necessarily a poor reflection of you as a candidate. Competition was high this past year.

Q: Or given the facts that I am from a competitive cohort and that my application is not likely to be significantly different to when I applied this year, will applying to these schools this year also be a stretch?

A: That your future application is not THAT different from this upcoming one could be an issue. You need to show some change, growth, etc. That said, it sounds like it might be your essays and how you advertised yourself in them that could have been a difference maker. Often times, we review dinged candidates and see very quickly all the ways in which we might have approached things differently.

Let us know if you want to chat. It might be very helpful for us to review your past and future candidacy.
https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Update - looking for a consultant that can assist with next years application. I have budget, but can’t come to terms with spending double dight thousands. If anyone has any recommendations at a lower price point pls do advise.

Thanks to all that have replied.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Please refer to my earlier post to review my thoughts. Feel free to reach out at: https://bit.ly/GM_AugAcd_Profile_Evaluation

We can chat, and then take it forward if you are comfortable.

Best,
Karthik
neashub1 wrote:
Update - looking for a consultant that can assist with next years application. I have budget, but can’t come to terms with spending double dight thousands. If anyone has any recommendations at a lower price point pls do advise.

Thanks to all that have replied.

­
GMAT Club Bot