Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 16:04 It is currently 14 May 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Disappointing R1 results. Apply for R2 or wait for next year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MBA_Asp_2026:

Agree with the previous response that it could be due to factors beyond those you have shared. Your essays, in particular, need to be reviewed ASAP to help make a determination.

Also, we're not a huge fan of consulting for an immediate post-MBA goal given its popularity. That probably isn't the main reason, but it could be a contributor factor.

You can definitely continue to apply but I would focus on your Ross and Darden results as an indication of whether you are punching above your weight this time around.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank You for the feedback! Can you help with reviewing my essay too?

And can you please clarify what you mean by the last para. Do you think I need to apply lower than T15 to get an admit?

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBA_Asp_2026:

Yes, we can absolutely help review your essays. How do you want to connect offline? You can also PM us here to get things started.

Sorry, didn't see you were waitlisted at Darden. That probably means you are right in the T15 range. I would be curious to see how you do with Ross since that's on par with Darden. If you are also waitlisted, again, that means you're in striking distance. If you are rejected, then you might need to reconsider.

We can explain more when we connect offline.

Admissionado
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello MBA_Asp_2026,

I hope you are doing well. Certainly, your profile exhibits strength with a robust GMAT score, a commendable GPA, and pertinent work experience. While your extracurricular activities are somewhat average, your leadership roles during your undergraduate years are an asset. Your aspiration to become a Chief Sustainability Officer for a biotech/life science company is well-defined, and your involvement in sustainability-related projects underscores your commitment to this goal.

I suggest applying to several more T15 schools in Round 2. Your likelihood of admission will hinge on the quality of your applications, but you stand a good chance of gaining acceptance to some of these institutions.

To bolster your applications, consider the following:

Refine Your Essays: Ensure that your essays are well-crafted and engaging and distinctly convey your motivations for pursuing an MBA and why each school is an ideal fit.

Emphasize Leadership Experience: Highlight your leadership roles during both your undergraduate and work experiences, illustrating to the admissions committees that you possess the skills and background to thrive as a leader in the business realm.

Secure Strong Recommendations: Seek recommendations from individuals capable of speaking to your academic prowess, work history, and leadership capabilities.

GMAT Retake Consideration: If you harbor concerns about your GMAT score, contemplate the possibility of a retake. However, I would advise against it unless you are confident in a substantial improvement.

Furthermore, networking with alumni from your target schools is highly recommended. This can provide invaluable insights into the cultural aspects of each institution, aiding you in making a more informed decision about where to apply.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

MBA_Asp_2026 wrote:
Hi All,
I applied to Booth, Darden (EA), Wharton, Yale and Ross for R1. Rejected from Booth after interview, waitlisted by Darden after guaranteed interview and haven't heard from the rest (so a waitlist at best). Wondering if I should apply for a few more universities or if my profile is too weak right now. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Asian ORM

GMAT - 740 (1st attempt - should I try again)

GPA - BS and MS in Mech. mid 7/10 from NIT in India, 4/4 in MS from top 50 university in US.

Work Ex - 1.5 years in automotive company as manufacturing and automation engineer. Did a few high impact projects and have $ savings and leadership to show. 2 years in Biotech/Life Science R&D. Niche and high impact field but don't have too much leadership to show here. No promotions to show since I switched roles just before I was promoted and promotions in my current role are on 3-5 year cycles

Extracurriculars are average. 2 significant leadership positions in undergrad but nothing significant after that.

ST goal - Consulting
LT goal - Chief Sustainability Officer for a biotech/life science company. I have done a few sustainability related projects in both my roles, which I highlighted and tied back to why I would like to do an MBA and why this is my LT goal

I am only targeting T15 or better since the ROI drops off pretty quickly beyond that considering this is my second Masters and I am an immigrant. Thoughts?

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Disappointing R1 results. Apply for R2 or wait for next year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MBA_Asp_2026 wrote:
Hi All,
I applied to Booth, Darden (EA), Wharton, Yale and Ross for R1. Rejected from Booth after interview, waitlisted by Darden after guaranteed interview and haven't heard from the rest (so a waitlist at best). Wondering if I should apply for a few more universities or if my profile is too weak right now. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Asian ORM

GPA - BS and MS in Mech. mid 7/10 from NIT in India, 4/4 in MS from top 50 university in US.

Work Ex - 1.5 years in automotive company as manufacturing and automation engineer. Did a few high impact projects and have $ savings and leadership to show. 2 years in Biotech/Life Science R&D. Niche and high impact field but don't have too much leadership to show here. No promotions to show since I switched roles just before I was promoted and promotions in my current role are on 3-5 year cycles

Extracurriculars are average. 2 significant leadership positions in undergrad but nothing significant after that.

ST goal - Consulting
LT goal - Chief Sustainability Officer for a biotech/life science company. I have done a few sustainability related projects in both my roles, which I highlighted and tied back to why I would like to do an MBA and why this is my LT goal

I am only targeting T15 or better since the ROI drops off pretty quickly beyond that considering this is my second Masters and I am an immigrant. Thoughts?

Hello MBA_Asp_2026,

Thanks for writing in.

A 740 is on the lower side for the schools you are targeting. Practically, if you do not wish to look beyond the US top ~15, you must look at improving your GMAT score and applying.

Of course, the GMAT is only one part of the application and how well you would have portrayed your strengths in your application will also determine your overall chances; it is tough to comment on this because we have not gone through your essays.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
MBA_Asp_2026 wrote:
Hi All,

Asian ORM

ST goal - Consulting

Hey MBA_Asp_2026:
I am not a fan of encouraging where circumstances might be screaming that you may need to course-correct.
You may already have some inkling of your Ross results by now, and it is a good time to see whether you want to go further.

1. Your GMAT of 740 is strong enough; You neither have the time for a high ROI improvement before R2, nor will the time given to GMAT (at the COST of your application strength) help so much.
2. From what I understand, you already have TWO Masters degrees. It is important to weave a compelling story on HOW the specializations may help you become a better candidate (for whatever career goals you project).
3. Add to that your 1.5+2 years of WE in unrelated domains. Again, showing that the experiences have helped you evolve and mature will take thinking and crafting your story well
4. As for the Extra-Curriculars, my work across a spectrum of Indian applicants has only shown how we are taught to undermine our achievements. I would think you have quite a bit under the hood, which needs to surface, for a stronger application.
5. With your profile, very competitive, ORM and 2nd/3rd Masters, it really makes a LOT MORE SENSE to apply to several more schools (Broadly, I agree with the T15 perception, but then again, your career goals should really determine a lot there; It is always better to make an informed decision, not based on just rankings, but also the schools which will both help you achieve your goal, and yet look very favourably at your profile.
GMAT Club Bot