GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Oct 2019, 18:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Do Coursera/edX hold any value on the application?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.98
Reviews Badge
Do Coursera/edX hold any value on the application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 11:36
Hi Everyone,

I'm just looking for some advice or opinions on taking a Coursera or edX online course. Currently, I'm considering taking a course on economic development in third world countries. This subject is one I am personally and professionally interested in. The workload will be moderate, roughly 13 weeks of about 6 hours of work each week, and MITx is hosting the course. To obtain the official certificate after passing the course, there is an extra fee. I'll probably take the course regardless, but is the extra fee worth the official certification? Do top business schools put any weight or value into into these courses? Any form of help with these questions would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Do Coursera/edX hold any value on the application?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 17:31
Depending on your background, these courses can show your ability to handle grad level material. That said, they will not completely change your profile so I only recommend them if you are also interested in the material, vs just doing it to improve your profile.

Reach out with any other questions about what you can do to improve your profile.

Best,
Scott
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 13:31
This course will not improve your profile it may showcase a passion of yours or align with a career goal which is a nice addition. But the ones schools like to see are for candidates who need to showcase quant proficiency. But again these won't significantly move the needle but can help a bit showcasing your ability to handle grad level work.

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 10:42
If we do take these courses online, where on the MBA application should we share this information?
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 13:35
doneil13 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm just looking for some advice or opinions on taking a Coursera or edX online course. Currently, I'm considering taking a course on economic development in third world countries. This subject is one I am personally and professionally interested in. The workload will be moderate, roughly 13 weeks of about 6 hours of work each week, and MITx is hosting the course. To obtain the official certificate after passing the course, there is an extra fee. I'll probably take the course regardless, but is the extra fee worth the official certification? Do top business schools put any weight or value into into these courses? Any form of help with these questions would be much appreciated.
Agree with others here that this course itself is unlikely to alter your profile overall. However, taking the course- especially if it aligns with professional interests can add to your story. Depending on how much it costs to get that extra certification not sure it is worth it- but if you can show through a grade that you can handle MITx work level that could be a plus if your overall profile needed an academic boost. If you have a strong GMAT/GPA combo already then I don't think you'd need it.
Thank you!

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 20:20
Usually you can upload in the transcripts section if you receive some similar type of documentation or list it in the additional coursework section of the application

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 12:03
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Do Coursera/edX hold any value on the application?   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2018, 12:03

Do Coursera/edX hold any value on the application?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi