Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Do I fit in? [#permalink]
cxa0897 wrote:
Anveshaa wrote:
i'm 30 years old from Arts background. i have no work experience (I, know, it's shocking). What did I do all these years ? - was preparing for a competitive exam without any success.
Now i'm thinking of doing MBA. Will any IIM select me if my CAT score is good - around 95% and my academic record is good ( 10th - 88% ; 12th - 86% ; UG - 76% ). Even if I'm selected, do I fit in there with all those young smart kids? Will any firm be interested in hiring me - neither a fresher nor experienced?
I have Banking career in mind - am I just too old for that now?

Posted from my mobile device

An mba is not the right program for you. While some students do get in and do well without work experience, they are generally fresh out of undergrad and have strong leadership around campus. Even if you did get in, you'd be competing with kids with bachelors for jobs rather than your fellow mbas. It will be a struggle most likely.

Find a subject you like and take a master degree in that, they are designed for people with little to no work experience in that field.

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1988 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Hi

IMO getting into MBA that too IIMs will be tough as the first question will be about work experience. You have to have a really solid reason for not having work ex for so many years. Even without an MBA you can get into a banking career. Looking into those options would be a better option in my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PMI, APICS
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Were you prepping for the civil services group-I exams? Because if you were, the knowledge that you have obtained in that process will work well for bank exams. SBI probationary officer exams should be a cakewalk if you were in fact doing moderately well on the group-I exams (and yet couldn't break into the desired cadre).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
alphavictor86 wrote:
Were you prepping for the civil services group-I exams? Because if you were, the knowledge that you have obtained in that process will work well for bank exams. SBI probationary officer exams should be a cakewalk if you were in fact doing moderately well on the group-I exams (and yet couldn't break into the desired cadre).

Yes, group - I.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
souvonik2k wrote:
Hi

IMO getting into MBA that too IIMs will be tough as the first question will be about work experience. You have to have a really solid reason for not having work ex for so many years. Even without an MBA you can get into a banking career. Looking into those options would be a better option in my opinion.

Thank you Souvonik2k for the suggestion.

Questions on work experience?! - yes , i have had the same fear.

I was thinking of investment banking. i don't think, there's any exam to get into it ,only the professional courses can lead to me that.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tiffani wrote:
Anveshaa wrote:
i'm 30 years old from Arts background. i have no work experience (I, know, it's shocking). What did I do all these years ? - was preparing for a competitive exam without any success.
Now i'm thinking of doing MBA. Will any IIM select me if my CAT score is good - around 95% and my academic record is good ( 10th - 88% ; 12th - 86% ; UG - 76% ). Even if I'm selected, do I fit in there with all those young smart kids? Will any firm be interested in hiring me - neither a fresher nor experienced?

:-) I don't see this as a problem. I'm 30 years old, too. I am on maternity leave now. A year later I'm going to work. I don't consider myself old. ;) I advise you try to go to work. Everything will be fine. :thumbup:
Good luck.

Thank you, Tiffani. Yes, 30 is not an age to brood over. i will hold up myself.?

Wish you and your baby, all the best. ?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
cxa0897 wrote:
Anveshaa wrote:

An mba is not the right program for you. While some students do get in and do well without work experience, they are generally fresh out of undergrad and have strong leadership around campus. Even if you did get in, you'd be competing with kids with bachelors for jobs rather than your fellow mbas. It will be a struggle most likely.

Find a subject you like and take a master degree in that, they are designed for people with little to no work experience in that field.

Thank you, cxa0897. MBA isn't for me ! - i get that. That's a valuable suggestion.

GMAT Club Bot