It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

do I have to take extra classes to prove quant skills?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

do I have to take extra classes to prove quant skills? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 14:46
Hi all,

Here's a brief rundown of my profile: I graduated from UC Berkeley with a 3.8 GPA in Political Science. I took the GMAT and got a 730 (47Q, 44V). I've worked at IBM for three and a half years as a marketing professional, and have been promoted twice. My ECs include being on the board of an education tech nonprofit.

At UC Berkeley, it is mandatory for Pol Sci undergrads to take a course called "Political Science 3 - Introduction to Empirical Analysis and Quantitative Methods." Basically, it is straight up statistics applied to political science, and my professor taught straight out of a standard stats book that our normal "Intro to Stats" also used. I got an A. However, this course shows up on my transcript only as "Pol Sci 3 - Empirical Analysis," so I'm not sure if adcomms will immediately recognize that as essentially stats course.

I also took a lot of courses within Pol Sci that were heavy on micro and macro econ (I passed out of the 101 Econ course in the Econ department through AP credits). That said, I didn't take calculus in college.

Is it necessary for me to take an extra statistics and/or calculus class at a community college or extension program in order for my application to be competitive? My concern is that adcomms may "doubt" my quant skills otherwise. Is this a valid concern, or am I overthinking?

I'm aiming for a corporate marketing career post-MBA at a top 500 firm, and am aiming for M7 and t15 programs.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 6

Re: do I have to take extra classes to prove quant skills? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 21:16
This post received
KUDOS
captainahabmoby wrote:
Hi all,

Here's a brief rundown of my profile: I graduated from UC Berkeley with a 3.8 GPA in Political Science. I took the GMAT and got a 730 (47Q, 44V). I've worked at IBM for three and a half years as a marketing professional, and have been promoted twice. My ECs include being on the board of an education tech nonprofit.

At UC Berkeley, it is mandatory for Pol Sci undergrads to take a course called "Political Science 3 - Introduction to Empirical Analysis and Quantitative Methods." Basically, it is straight up statistics applied to political science, and my professor taught straight out of a standard stats book that our normal "Intro to Stats" also used. I got an A. However, this course shows up on my transcript only as "Pol Sci 3 - Empirical Analysis," so I'm not sure if adcomms will immediately recognize that as essentially stats course.

I also took a lot of courses within Pol Sci that were heavy on micro and macro econ (I passed out of the 101 Econ course in the Econ department through AP credits). That said, I didn't take calculus in college.

Is it necessary for me to take an extra statistics and/or calculus class at a community college or extension program in order for my application to be competitive? My concern is that adcomms may "doubt" my quant skills otherwise. Is this a valid concern, or am I overthinking?

I'm aiming for a corporate marketing career post-MBA at a top 500 firm, and am aiming for M7 and t15 programs.

Thanks!

Hey captainahabmoby not an admissions consultant here (just a recently accepted applicant) but thought I'd give one tip I've picked up since I hadn't seen anyone else reply yet. I have seen recommendations from consultants like MBAPrepCoach on here for MBA Math. It takes 15-20 hours, transcripts can be sent directly to the schools you are applying, and schools take it pretty seriously. It's supposedly a good way to demonstrate quant ability and likely less of an investment and commitment than a community college class or extension program.

Can't speak to whether adcoms will doubt your quant skills currently. I've read on here that the "rule" to get 80th percentile or higher is no longer really true since averages have gotten so high, so if it was me personally I'd think the 47Q/63rd percentile was close to ok/borderline. Maybe someone else with more expertise can chime in and apologies if I'm totally off. Just my gut feeling. Calculus would probably be a positive sign with a 47Q to where I'd feel more confident, but you can't change that now. I'd do MBA Math just to be sure and get it over with, but not worry beyond that. I'd especially think this if you're applying Round 2 and have a lot less time to add anything to your application. Hope that helps.

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 6

Admission Consultant
S
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 60

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
do I have to take extra classes to prove quant skills? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 22:11
captainahabmoby wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Hey captainahabmoby,
1) Decent GMAT
2) UG from a top rated Univ.
3) GPA decent too

What you really need to think about is your goals, and show clarity and ambition there, not about points that are already taken care of. Hope it helps.

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)

Interviewing soon? Connect for Unlimited Mock Interviews at your convenience, and preparation with Interview Questions.

Applying for Fall 2019? PM me your resume for a FREE detailed profile evaluation.

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 60

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Re: do I have to take extra classes to prove quant skills? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 13:40
Hey man i don’t think you’ll need any extra courses. You have a strong GMAT and a strong from a top UG institution. So this should not be a major concern for you. If there are opportunities to highlight any analytical related accomplishments you had in your resume that might worth including just for coverage but you should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Re: do I have to take extra classes to prove quant skills?   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2018, 13:40

do I have to take extra classes to prove quant skills?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap