GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 10:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I need to retake? Or reassess? Or am I ok?!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.45
Do I need to retake? Or reassess? Or am I ok?!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 16:01
Hi All,

Got a 710 on my GMAT (47Q, 41V, 8IR, waiting on AWA). Wondering if this will be good enough for my target schools. I live in Chicago so I'd love to attend Kellogg or Booth so I can stay in the city. Also on my list are Ross, CBS, and Fuqua.

A bit about me: I am older, 35...I have spent my career in the classical music performance field. I've been very successful - traveled and performed all over the world, taught lessons both privately and as a Professor at a university, and have enjoyed my time as a performer through the 10+ years I have done it. Now, I am looking to pivot fields into something more traditional and would like to apply to business school.

Have done volunteer work and some fundraisers for different causes. Am active at my church with music and volunteering, and have been for years.

Schools - Went to a top 25 university - GPA - 3.451 - Graduated Cum Laude w/ Honors in Music. Attended 2 Graduate schools - Masters GPA 3.70 at Hopkins/Peabody, and Diploma (unfinished because I began to travel and perform) at Yale 3.90 GPA.

Hoping I don't have to sit for that exam again!

Many thanks for any help.
MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Do I need to retake? Or reassess? Or am I ok?!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 07:19
Music2mba wrote:
Hi All,

Got a 710 on my GMAT (47Q, 41V, 8IR, waiting on AWA). Wondering if this will be good enough for my target schools. I live in Chicago so I'd love to attend Kellogg or Booth so I can stay in the city. Also on my list are Ross, CBS, and Fuqua.

A bit about me: I am older, 35...I have spent my career in the classical music performance field. I've been very successful - traveled and performed all over the world, taught lessons both privately and as a Professor at a university, and have enjoyed my time as a performer through the 10+ years I have done it. Now, I am looking to pivot fields into something more traditional and would like to apply to business school.

Have done volunteer work and some fundraisers for different causes. Am active at my church with music and volunteering, and have been for years.

Schools - Went to a top 25 university - GPA - 3.451 - Graduated Cum Laude w/ Honors in Music. Attended 2 Graduate schools - Masters GPA 3.70 at Hopkins/Peabody, and Diploma (unfinished because I began to travel and perform) at Yale 3.90 GPA.

Interesting profile with a lot of potential that definitely stands out from the crowd!

But what, more specifically, would you like to do if you manage to get that “more traditional” job? It’s important to have that mapped out as well as to “show fit” with the schools you are applying to in order to maximize your chances of admission.

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 09:38
Hi Music2mba,

You could have success with the current GMAT score, especially since your academics are good. That said, as Aringo pointed, you will have to map out what your post-MBA career looks like. You should also look at how you intend to leverage your 10+ years in music to help with the transition into a "traditional" job. Also, what are your expectations from an MBA? It will be a difficult sell if you expect the MBA to carry all the weight of the transition.

Happy to continue the conversation and see how we can help. If interested, please click here to continue the conversation.

Good luck!

Music2mba wrote:
Hi All,

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 19:58
Music2mba you would be better off retaking it now that you have some momentum than down the road. Also, you will want to do this MBA thing this year because of your age.

the reality is, this score is below the average for your 2 target schools
white males are overrepresented, I'm making some assumptions here - if not erase erase

you do bring diversity by way of your job, but your job also might present some obstacles in demonstrating leadership/teamwork/problem solving/innovation
all the stuff b-schools care about.

For them to accept a 710, you will need to compensate for that in other areas of your profile.
Like the things I just mentioned.

Other things to consider: do you have international work experience? What would you add to the class that no one else could via your strengths or background? See where I am going with this.

Those who get in slightly lighter GMAT scores are either
1.) underrepresented in some way, but especially in terms of ethnicity or citizenship or 2.) have profiles that are super strong in terms of extracurriculars/community or 3.) demonstrate some really unique contribution they could make to their fellow colleagues, alums, school. Hope this helps!

I realize taking the GMAT is a drag, and you do have a decent score for Cornell or Duke, but for Kellogg or Booth, you would need a lot of diversity/contribution power behind your app for them to pick you in favor of that other Chicagoan Liberal Arts guy who is a bit younger (seemingly more recruitable) with a stronger test score.

Music2mba wrote:
Hi All,

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 23:09
Thanks so much MBAPrepCoach. I really appreciate your response.

I do have quite a bit of international work - I lived in Germany for 4 years, and have worked in England, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Austria, Canada, Turkey, and a few others that escape my thoughts at this hour.

Yes, I am certainly figuring out that I need to show what I bring to the table that others don't. I'm sure there must be something there with my work experience and life experience, but it's an uphill battle to figure out just what!

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Music2mba you would be better off retaking it now that you have some momentum than down the road. Also, you will want to do this MBA thing this year because of your age.

white males are overrepresented, I'm making some assumptions here - if not erase erase

you do bring diversity by way of your job, but your job also might present some obstacles in demonstrating leadership/teamwork/problem solving/innovation

For them to accept a 710, you will need to compensate for that in other areas of your profile.

Other things to consider: do you have international work experience? What would you add to the class that no one else could via your strengths or background? See where I am going with this.

1.) underrepresented in some way, but especially in terms of ethnicity or citizenship or 2.) have profiles that are super strong in terms of extracurriculars/community or 3.) demonstrate some really unique contribution they could make to their fellow colleagues, alums, school. Hope this helps!

I realize taking the GMAT is a drag, and you do have a decent score for Cornell or Duke, but for Kellogg or Booth, you would need a lot of diversity/contribution power behind your app for them to pick you in favor of that other Chicagoan Liberal Arts guy who is a bit younger (seemingly more recruitable) with a stronger test score.

Music2mba wrote:
Hi All,

INSEAD Thread Master
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 01:38
Music2mba wrote:

I do have quite a bit of international work - I lived in Germany for 4 years, and have worked in England, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Austria, Canada, Turkey, and a few others that escape my thoughts at this hour.

Yes, I am certainly figuring out that I need to show what I bring to the table that others don't. I'm sure there must be something there with my work experience and life experience, but it's an uphill battle to figure out just what!

MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Music2mba wrote:
Hi All,

Music2mba

Start by thinking through all situations in the past year where you added value to someones 1) life, 2) team or 3) organization.

Added value = fixed something, created something good, improved something.

What was the result?

Then go back another year, rinse and repeat.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan

INSEAD Thread Master
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 02:33
Music2mba wrote:

MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Music2mba wrote:
Hi All,

Music2mba

European schools are more open to older applicants and have lower GMAT averages.

With so much International work experience I think I would recommend that you apply at INSEAD and London Business School. Or Wharton Lauder.

Might throw in Cambridge or Oxford as safety schools. Both of those have recognizable brands here.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan

Intern
Intern
B
Do I need to retake? Or reassess? Or am I ok?!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 11:00
Thanks, MBAPrepCoach - funny enough, I was just thinking about INSEAD as a good option for me too. I only worry the 1 year program might be too swift for someone coming from another industry - maybe not.

That's a great way to work through my timeline, I appreciate the advice. And I think if I find that I am not getting enough traction as I work with colleagues who have gone to M7s who have offered to read my essays, I will hit the GMAT again. I really didn't do well on the verbal - all my official practice tests had been around 45 and I only scored 41 - I think that made all the difference.

I still hope I have enough to share and offer without that, but I guess only time will tell. If you have any other tips, I'd be all ears - and I really thank you for your help.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 11:44
MBAPrepCoach: One quick question - do you have any thoughts on getting in touch with admissions representatives at prospective schools? Is there a right way to go about this? Are there things that are expected or off limits?

Many thanks!

Music2mba wrote:
Thanks, MBAPrepCoach - funny enough, I was just thinking about INSEAD as a good option for me too. I only worry the 1 year program might be too swift for someone coming from another industry - maybe not.

That's a great way to work through my timeline, I appreciate the advice. And I think if I find that I am not getting enough traction as I work with colleagues who have gone to M7s who have offered to read my essays, I will hit the GMAT again. I really didn't do well on the verbal - all my official practice tests had been around 45 and I only scored 41 - I think that made all the difference.

I still hope I have enough to share and offer without that, but I guess only time will tell. If you have any other tips, I'd be all ears - and I really thank you for your help.
INSEAD Thread Master
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 11:51
You're very welcome!

Music2mba wrote:

Farrell Dyan

INSEAD Thread Master
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 11:59
OK I have not heard of this, just calling up admissions reps, so I can't really advise you on that. Usually you liaise with them at admissions events in person or online. When you say are there things that are expected vs. off limits - eh, not sure what you have in mind. What are the questions in question :cool: How many boyfriends have you had or do you like jelly doughnuts are probably no bueno. But if it relates to gathering information you need to decide to apply - most is within reason. I do know many programs are reluctant to offer age information.

This blog might offer some answers: https://mbaessaycoaching.com/category/a ... ents-tips/

Just wanted to offer one last piece of advise, take a look at Stanford MSx and Sloan Fellows. Those programs are intended for someone in your age group.
The average GMAT is hard to pin down but it's definitely lower than that of the full-time program.

Music2mba wrote:
MBAPrepCoach: One quick question - do you have any thoughts on getting in touch with admissions representatives at prospective schools? Is there a right way to go about this? Are there things that are expected or off limits?

Many thanks!

Music2mba wrote:

Farrell Dyan

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 06:59
MBAPrepCoach - haha - I certainly did not mean I would just cold call admissions reps, but just join virtual sessions or head over to campus for tours to chat with them about programs to see how they take to my profession and age. That's all. I suppose I can't ask them if my GMAT is up to snuff though :)

Looking at Stanford MSx and Sloan Fellows - are those programs not just for people already in management positions? At least it seems that way. As a performer, though my age might be right, my experience might be way off. I will definitely apply to INSEAD and LBS I believe - thanks for bringing those up before!

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
OK I have not heard of this, just calling up admissions reps, so I can't really advise you on that. Usually you liaise with them at admissions events in person or online. When you say are there things that are expected vs. off limits - eh, not sure what you have in mind. What are the questions in question :cool: How many boyfriends have you had or do you like jelly doughnuts are probably no bueno. But if it relates to gathering information you need to decide to apply - most is within reason. I do know many programs are reluctant to offer age information.

This blog might offer some answers: https://mbaessaycoaching.com/category/a ... ents-tips/

Just wanted to offer one last piece of advise, take a look at Stanford MSx and Sloan Fellows. Those programs are intended for someone in your age group.
The average GMAT is hard to pin down but it's definitely lower than that of the full-time program.

Music2mba wrote:

Many thanks!

Music2mba wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Do I need to retake? Or reassess? Or am I ok?! &nbs [#permalink] 29 Nov 2018, 06:59

Do I need to retake? Or reassess? Or am I ok?!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap