GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 16:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Oct 2018, 05:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (00:46) correct 42% (00:57) wrong based on 443 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease it causes, listeriosis, afflicts some people in a contaminated area though it spares many others.

(A) though it spares
(B) where it spares
(C) despite sparing
(D) when sparing
(E) while sparing

Originally posted by rgarg1nortel on 29 Nov 2009, 21:55.
Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Oct 2018, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Re: Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2009, 23:10
though introduces a contrast which is not required here

while introduses a case happening at the same time when the other is occuring...

and IMO the s/c here is describing that the disease is afflicting some people while sparing others is more appropriate then saying that

the disease afflicts some people , though it spares other

E for me

GMAT is not a game for losers , and the moment u decide to appear for it u are no more a loser........ITS A BRAIN GAME

Manager
Manager
Re: Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2009, 01:07
Hey, dude, can u pls underline the quest.

in A & B it has no clear referance. A&B out
Despite, When seem irrelevant here
E is my ans
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 07:23
This is a tricky question in so far as whether it tests pronoun ambiguity or //ism. However, together with these two factors, in my personal opinion, there is a third but IMO primary factor, namely the use of appropriates a subordinate conjunction. The text intends to say that it afflicts some people at the same time it spares some others. This simultaneity is the essence of this topic, I feel.

(A) though it spares… The pronoun’s ambiguity, though not very critical, is in play and the conjunction – though - shows contrast but not concurrentness

(B) where it spares… The pronoun’s ambiguity, though not very critical is in play and the conjunction – where - shows a place of action rather than concurrentness

(C) despite sparing ------ Despite does not bring out simultaneity

(D) when sparing ------ When does not bring out contrast
(E) while sparing -------- while brings out contrast as well as simultaneity; hence, the preferred choice.

However, do GMAT questions skate on such thin ice? Very odd.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 03:50
Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease( it causes, listeriosis, )afflicts some people (in a contaminated area) while sparing many others

The answer lies in //ism. Read the above while ignoring the brackets.
...disease afflicts some people while sparing many others is //

At first glance even I fell for A but a closer look helped identify the mistake.
Manager
Manager
S
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 11:49
Answer E.
I can tell why when and where are wrong
and why is option A here is wrong due to the usage of "it"
Despite --- in spite of
I dont know why despite is wrong but I preferred While over despite.
usage of While
It can actually mean two things:
1) while = at the same time as.
2) while = although, or some sort of contrast.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 07:08
Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease it causes, listeriosis, afflicts some people in a contaminated area though it spares many others.

Actually I would reject B and pick E for a different reason.

The pronoun ‘it’ appears at two junctures; in the first place, the pronoun refers to the bacterium while in the second place, it refers to the disease. In GMAT terms, it is wrong for a pronoun to refer to two different entities in a same sentence. In E, this problem has been circumvented by converting the later portion into a modifying phrase, dropping the pronoun altogether.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 04:54
bsv180985 wrote:
Hey, dude, can u pls underline the quest.

in A & B it has no clear referance. A&B out
Despite, When seem irrelevant here
E is my ans

OA is E. The point is that we need a description that can either contrast the two situations (different groups of people), or demonstrate their happening simultaneously.

(A) though it spares
Wrong for two reasons.
(1) In GMAT, we can say for sure that it is incorrect to use one SAME PRONOUN more than twice.
(2) You often use "though" to introduce a fact that you regard as less important than the fact in the main clause.

(B) where it spares
Wrong for "it". In GMAT, we can say for sure that it is incorrect to use one SAME PRONOUN more than twice.
Note: "where" is correctly used here.
You use "where" to introduce a clause that contrasts with the other part of the sentence.regard as less important than the fact in the main clause.

(C) despite sparing
Wrong for "despite"
You use "despite" to introduce a fact that makes the other part of the sentence surprising.

(D) when sparing
Wrong for "When"
You use "when" to introduce a fact that makes the other part of the sentence surprising or impossible.

(E) while sparing
Correct.
You use "while"
(1) before making a statement, to introduce a fact that partly conflicts the following statement.
(2) to introduce a fact that happens simultaneously with the following statement.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2015, 20:16
Answer choice "A" is not preferred because "it" is ambiguous. “Despite” and “while” have different meanings. Replace “despite” with “instead of” and read the sentence. It does not make sense- the disease is not preferring any particular victim! So, “while” fits in better.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2015, 09:50
In A and B, it is not that the pronoun ‘it’ has no proper referents. The problem is that ‘it’ refers to two different things. The first ‘it’ refers to the bacterium and the second ‘it’ refers to the disease. Ambiguity is not an issue but the multiple references are.

Despite is inappropriate in this context because despite always involves a paradox. Say like: Despite my low GMAT score, I got admitted into the Ivy League; Churchill was sure of his victory despite the series of defeats until the very end. etc, etc.

So E wins

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE: Other (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 03:10
While is used for 2 actions happening simultaneously , hence answer option E for me.
other options show a clear contrast Except for option A

Kudos if you agree , Comment if you don't !!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread &nbs [#permalink] 03 Oct 2018, 03:10

Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap