Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Re: Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
And thanks for sharing more info about Souvik ;)

What?! I mean, "Souvik" was just a randomly selected name. I mean, totally just a coincidence. Did you really think that souvik101990 is a hard-working movie lover? ;) ;) ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:

What?! I mean, "Souvik" was just a randomly selected name. I mean, totally just a coincidence. Did you really think that souvik101990 is a hard-working movie lover? ;) ;) ;)

Hi, GMATNinja

Althought I chose A, as the best availble option, I have a doubt: the author listed 3 actions in the past, and in the end the author placed "a reason + past perfect". Isn't it can be read as "She did all these 3 actions because she had been ill"?
How can the problem be solved, of course, if it exists not only in my head, but also in a real world ? :-) Thanks.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hero8888 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Hi, GMATNinja

Althought I chose A, as the best availble option, I have a doubt: the author listed 3 actions in the past, and in the end the author placed "a reason + past perfect". Isn't it can be read as "She did all these 3 actions because she had been ill"?
How can the problem be solved, of course, if it exists not only in my head, but also in a real world ? :-) Thanks.

If you have a parallel construction with three actions separated by commas, there's no reason why we can't have a modifier at the end refer only to the last element. For example, "Souvik watched three Marvel movies on Thursday, played video games for nine consecutive hours on Friday, and called his doctor on Saturday because he couldn't get out of bed." Clearly, we're not suggesting that Souvik watched movies on Thursday because he couldn't get out of bed on Saturday! (But feel free to ask him about this if you'd like.)

If a writer wanted a modifier to refer to every element in a list, it would make more sense to place that modifier before the list. For example, "Because he couldn't get out of bed, Souvik did x, y, and z," would actually suggest that being unable to get out of bed was the cause of all three actions. The modifier placement dictates the meaning.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(A) 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become

I often hear people say that (A) isn’t parallel: “…Deborah Sampson… joined the Continental Army…, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783…” That’s actually completely fine: we have three parallel verbs, and they make perfect sense, since they are three actions that Sampson performed.

The objection is usually that the three verbs “aren’t in the same form” or “don’t sound the same.” Neither of those are legitimate objections. All that really matters is that they’re three verbs that logically are three actions performed by the subject of the clause. It’s not a problem that one is an action verb (“joined”) and the other two are states of being (“was injured” and “was discharged”).

The only other potential issue is the past perfect tense (“had become”) at the end of the sentence. We can only use past perfect tense to describe an action that happened in the past, but BEFORE some other past action, which is usually in simple past tense. And we have that: she “had become too ill too serve” before she “was discharged.”

So let’s keep (A).

Quote:
(B) 22, was injured three times, while being discharged in 1783 because she had become

My biggest issue is with the phrase “while being discharged in 1783.” Literally, that seems to be saying that she simultaneously was discharged and was injured three times in 1783. And that makes no sense – there’s no way that those things can happen at the same exact time.

Plus, I think we would need an “and” somewhere in here: there are several actions, and at least two of them (“joined the Continental Army” and “was injured three times”) already seem to be parallel. So the “and” is necessary.

That’s enough to eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) 22, and was injured three times, and discharged in 1783, being

Now this is a weird mess. Sampson “joined the Continental Army… and was injured… and discharged…” Huh? First of all, those three actions (“joined”, “was injured”, and “was discharged”) are logically parallel to each other, so we only need one “and” – not two.

Second, it’s wrong to say that Sampson “discharged in 1783.” We could say that she WAS discharged from the Army, or I guess we could say that she “discharged a weapon” (a semi-obscure way to say that she fired it). But you wouldn’t just say that “Sampson… discharged.”

And “being” is also a mess. It seems to be trying to act as a modifier of some sort, but that’s rarely an acceptable use on the GMAT. (More on “being” here.)

So we have tons of reasons to ditch (C).

Quote:
(D) 22, injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she was

(D) isn’t too bad, but it doesn’t make sense to say that Sampson “injured three times.” You can say that she WAS injured three times, or maybe that she injured three enemy soldiers. But you can’t say that she “injured three times.”

And that’s enough to disqualify (D).

Quote:
(E) 22, having been injured three times and discharged in 1783, being

Whenever you see a “having + verb” construction on the GMAT, it generally needs to be the first of two past actions. So you could say something like “having studied all night, Souvik collapsed on the sofa and watched three consecutive Marvel films.” In other words, he studied first, and then collapsed. Fair enough.

But in (E), it sounds like Sampson was injured and discharged first, and THEN she joined the Army. And that makes no sense at all.

We also have a problem with “being”, which is apparently being used as a modifier in (E) – and that’s a use that we almost never see on correct GMAT questions. “Being” isn’t always wrong on the GMAT, but it’s probably wrong here.

But even if you really love “being” in (E) for some inexplicable reason, we still have lots of reasons to eliminate (E). And we’re left with (A).

i have a doubt i.e had on time line shows that "had action" done first in past than other action so had is used with because she had ill and that means she became ill first than she joined and other action and i dont think so that make sense please reply as soon as possible
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Rishabh, that's right. The sentence uses past perfect tense (had become) which depicts chronology of events:

i) Deborah Sampson joined the Continental Army in 1782
ii) She was injured three times
iii) Presumably because of the injuries, by 1783, she had become too ill to serve
iv) Hence, she was discharged in 1783
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [1]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM
Kudos
Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, the first woman to draw a soldier's pension, joined the Continental Army in 1782 at the age of 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become too ill to serve.

(A) 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become
Best of All.

(B) 22, was injured three times, while being discharged in 1783 because she had become
“was injured three times, while being discharged” distorts the meaning.

Deb Sam..joined the.. and was injured….and discharged. It’s Awkward.
What is meant by Deb Sam… discharged in 1783.She discharged something, got discharged. Incorrect meaning.
Being is redundant here.

Deb sam…injured three times – doesn’t make sense.

Being is redundant here.
Having been injured.. and discharged means Post these things she joined army.
Thus, distortion of the meaning here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

I often hear people say that (A) isn’t parallel: “…Deborah Sampson… joined the Continental Army…, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783…” That’s actually completely fine: we have three parallel verbs, and they make perfect sense, since they are three actions that Sampson performed.

The objection is usually that the three verbs “aren’t in the same form” or “don’t sound the same.” Neither of those are legitimate objections. All that really matters is that they’re three verbs that logically are three actions performed by the subject of the clause. It’s not a problem that one is an action verb (“joined”) and the other two are states of being (“was injured” and “was discharged”).

The only other potential issue is the past perfect tense (“had become”) at the end of the sentence. We can only use past perfect tense to describe an action that happened in the past, but BEFORE some other past action, which is usually in simple past tense. And we have that: she “had become too ill too serve” before she “was discharged.”

So let’s keep (A).

Quote:

My biggest issue is with the phrase “while being discharged in 1783.” Literally, that seems to be saying that she simultaneously was discharged and was injured three times in 1783. And that makes no sense – there’s no way that those things can happen at the same exact time.

Plus, I think we would need an “and” somewhere in here: there are several actions, and at least two of them (“joined the Continental Army” and “was injured three times”) already seem to be parallel. So the “and” is necessary.

Quote:

Now this is a weird mess. Sampson “joined the Continental Army… and was injured… and discharged…” Huh? First of all, those three actions (“joined”, “was injured”, and “was discharged”) are logically parallel to each other, so we only need one “and” – not two.

Second, it’s wrong to say that Sampson “discharged in 1783.” We could say that she WAS discharged from the Army, or I guess we could say that she “discharged a weapon” (a semi-obscure way to say that she fired it). But you wouldn’t just say that “Sampson… discharged.”

And “being” is also a mess. It seems to be trying to act as a modifier of some sort, but that’s rarely an acceptable use on the GMAT. (More on “being” here.)

Quote:

(D) isn’t too bad, but it doesn’t make sense to say that Sampson “injured three times.” You can say that she WAS injured three times, or maybe that she injured three enemy soldiers. But you can’t say that she “injured three times.”

Quote:

Whenever you see a “having + verb” construction on the GMAT, it generally needs to be the first of two past actions. So you could say something like “having studied all night, Souvik collapsed on the sofa and watched three consecutive Marvel films.” In other words, he studied first, and then collapsed. Fair enough.

But in (E), it sounds like Sampson was injured and discharged first, and THEN she joined the Army. And that makes no sense at all.

We also have a problem with “being”, which is apparently being used as a modifier in (E) – and that’s a use that we almost never see on correct GMAT questions. “Being” isn’t always wrong on the GMAT, but it’s probably wrong here.

But even if you really love “being” in (E) for some inexplicable reason, we still have lots of reasons to eliminate (E). And we’re left with (A).

Though, I am bit late to the party, but I was thinking about Option (A) on the similar lines and rejected it for the following reason:
1. She joined, was injured and was discharged, because she had become too ill to serve.
Now, as far as I understand the sequence, it should be like this:
joined -> was injured -> had become too ill to serve -> was discharged.
Above is the reason I backed off from Option (A). Can you please clarify this GMATNinja?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
thecoronafever wrote:
Though, I am bit late to the party, but I was thinking about Option (A) on the similar lines and rejected it for the following reason:
1. She joined, was injured and was discharged, because she had become too ill to serve.
Now, as far as I understand the sequence, it should be like this:
joined -> was injured -> had become too ill to serve -> was discharged.
Above is the reason I backed off from Option (A). Can you please clarify this GMATNinja?

Fair question! But we don't necessarily need the order of the verbs in a sentence to correspond with the order of the actions. For example:

"Tim sprinted to his car because it had started raining." - The rain started BEFORE Tim sprinted back to the car. This is a perfect example of the correct use of past perfect ("had started"): we have two past actions, and one started before the other.

The same is true in (A):

"Deborah Sampson {...} was discharged in 1783 because she had become too ill to serve." - She was discharged at some time in the past (in 1783). The past perfect tense signals that the action "had become" occurred before the other past action ("was discharged").

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
[quote="KC"]Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, the first woman to draw a soldier's pension, joined the Continental Army in 1782 at the age of 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become too ill to serve.

This question is based on Modifiers and Parallelism.

The underlined portion mentions two actions that happened to Deborah Samson along with a reason for the second action. So, the two actions must be parallel in structure to each other.

In Option A, the parallelism has been maintained - was injured three times, and was discharged. The option also mentions the reason for Samson’s discharge in the correct tense. The past perfect tense must be used to convey this as she would have become too ill to serve and that would be the reason for her to be discharged. So, A is the best option.

In Option B, the second action is not parallel to the first. This option also contains the conjunction ‘while’, which changes the meaning of the sentence. So, Option B can be eliminated.

In Option C the conjunction ‘and’ has been used twice and is therefore redundant. The participle modifier “being too ill….” modifies Deborah Samson instead of providing the reason for her being discharged from the army as required by the intended meaning of the sentence. So, Option C can be eliminated.

In Option D the parallelism has not been maintained. The participle modifier “injured three times” is not parallel to the verb “was discharged…”. So, Option D can be ruled out.

In Option E, the perfect participle “having been” changes the meaning of the sentence. The use of the participle implies that the injury and discharge happened before Deborah Samson joined the army. Since the meaning conveyed is not logical, Option E can also be eliminated.

Therefore, A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

So let’s keep (A).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"Had" in (A), is fine before she was fired, but the sequence of events takes us further back when she was joining. Then isn't telling that she was fired before she joined the army?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Thank you for the explanation. I am always searching for your explanations for all verbal questions.
I had a doubt regarding the verb tense in D. Is the usage of simple past tense "was discharged in 1783 because she was" correct? As per my understanding, it is wrong. The usage of past perfect in A clarifies the sequencing whereas the usage of simple past in D seems to suggest that she was ill and was discharged at the same time.
Is my understanding correct?

Regards,
Udit

Your understanding of why the verb tense in (A) is clearer than the tense in (D) is spot on. While I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that "was too ill" is a definitive error -- she likely was still ill at the same time she was discharged, after all -- it's more logical to state that the she became ill first and then was discharged as a result.

Nicely done!

(And if you had doubts about eliminating (D) on the basis of verb tense alone, there's a clearer problem. If someone "was injured," they suffered an injury. If someone "injured" we need an object. You can injure a toe. You can injure your enemy. But the phrase "Charles injured" is nonsense. And that's what we get in (D): "Injured three times" doesn't make any sense. We need to know whom or what was injured three times. So you can also toss (D) because that phrase is illogical.)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

So let’s keep (A).

"Had" in (A), is fine before she was fired, but the sequence of events takes us further back when she was joining. Then isn't telling that she was fired before she joined the army?

There are a lot of different timeframes flying around in this sentence! To assess whether the past perfect ("had become") is used correctly, look for a time marker that occurs in the past, but after the past perfect verb.

Consider this example:

"Chloe always enjoyed pickled herring, but she had become increasingly obsessed with the dish in the months before she moved away from Sweden." (Mmm... pickled herring. :-P )

Here, the past perfect "had become" occurs before Chloe "moved" away from Sweden. So, the use of past perfect is just fine.

But we also have another verb in this sentence -- "enjoyed." Does this mean that Chloe became increasingly obsessed with pickled herring BEFORE she enjoyed it?

Nope, not at all. For the past perfect to be properly used, you just need one time marker in the past that occurred after the past perfect verb. You don't need EVERY simple past verb to fit into this timeline. Here, it's pretty clear that Chloe enjoyed pickled herring first, THEN became increasingly obsessed, and THEN moved away from Sweden.

Similarly, it's clear in (A) that Deborah Sampson first joined the Army, then was injured injured 3 times, then became too ill to serve, and then was discharged.

The verb tenses all make sense in (A), and (A) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: IIMB EPGP'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
This is a Q of parallelism and tenses.
Note - following two parallel constructs are possible::
1-- joined the Continental Army…, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783…
2-- joined the Continental Army…, injured three times, and discharged in 1783…
(2) is wrong because it was the subject that was injured. If we do not use the helping verb "was" it would seem that the subject performed the action and caused injury to someone else. ==> parallel construct in (1) is the right one !!!

Regarding tenses, the usage of "had" indicates an action performed earlier in the past while comparing two actions in the past !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

So let’s keep (A).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Why "joined" is an action verb instead a modifier?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]

Send PM
Kudos