GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 09:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 08:53
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja

Quote:
Whenever you see a “having + verb” construction on the GMAT, it generally needs to be the first of two past actions. So you could say something like “having studied all night, Souvik collapsed on the sofa and watched three consecutive Marvel films.” In other words, he studied first, and then collapsed. Fair enough.

Do we treat coma + having as a verb or as a noun modifier showing how / result of preceding clause?

I'm not 100% sure that I'm interpreting your question correctly, but you could think of "having + verb" as just another "-ing" modifier, in some sense. "Having studied all night, ______" -- well, the blank needs to be filled with somebody that studied all night before doing something else. Sure, "having + verb" has to describe the first of two actions, but that action also has to "make sense" with the noun that follows, just like the other "-ing" modifiers discussed in this article.

Does that help? And the example involving three consecutive Marvel films may or may not describe a real person. ;)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 18:17
GMATNinja

Thanks for your two cents. Here was from where my question stemmed.

When you wrote about considering having + verb as an action, which comes earlier out
of two actions, I immediately related the construction as one similar to past perfect tense
which is a verb. However, as you correctly pointed out, the having + verb is a modifier that refers
back to subject - Souvik which is a noun. This makes sense to treat the modifier as a noun modifier.

And thanks for sharing more info about Souvik ;)

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 21:36
adkikani wrote:

What?! I mean, "Souvik" was just a randomly selected name. I mean, totally just a coincidence. Did you really think that souvik101990 is a hard-working movie lover? ;) ;) ;)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 05:26
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:

What?! I mean, "Souvik" was just a randomly selected name. I mean, totally just a coincidence. Did you really think that souvik101990 is a hard-working movie lover? ;) ;) ;)

Hi, GMATNinja

Althought I chose A, as the best availble option, I have a doubt: the author listed 3 actions in the past, and in the end the author placed "a reason + past perfect". Isn't it can be read as "She did all these 3 actions because she had been ill"?
How can the problem be solved, of course, if it exists not only in my head, but also in a real world ? :-) Thanks.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 10:03
Hero8888 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Hi, GMATNinja

Althought I chose A, as the best availble option, I have a doubt: the author listed 3 actions in the past, and in the end the author placed "a reason + past perfect". Isn't it can be read as "She did all these 3 actions because she had been ill"?
How can the problem be solved, of course, if it exists not only in my head, but also in a real world ? :-) Thanks.

If you have a parallel construction with three actions separated by commas, there's no reason why we can't have a modifier at the end refer only to the last element. For example, "Souvik watched three Marvel movies on Thursday, played video games for nine consecutive hours on Friday, and called his doctor on Saturday because he couldn't get out of bed." Clearly, we're not suggesting that Souvik watched movies on Thursday because he couldn't get out of bed on Saturday! (But feel free to ask him about this if you'd like.)

If a writer wanted a modifier to refer to every element in a list, it would make more sense to place that modifier before the list. For example, "Because he couldn't get out of bed, Souvik did x, y, and z," would actually suggest that being unable to get out of bed was the cause of all three actions. The modifier placement dictates the meaning.

I hope this helps!

Need an expert reply?

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jun 2018, 10:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap