GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 08:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Drilling engineer at oil major - profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Drilling engineer at oil major - profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 06:46
Hi,

I'd appreciate your comments on the following profile.

23 y/o South American male MEng. Chemical Engineer
GMAT : 730 (Q49, V41) 1st attempt
GPA: First Class Honours ( i think they equate this to 4.0 GA( from Imperial College London (top UK uni)

I am considering applying to bschools this year, for admission in 2020.

Background and Work experience :
- Moved when i was 17 to London for uni. Before that lived in SA all my life.
- Drilling Engineer at BP for 2 yr's this September. First yr I was an offshore drilling engineer working in a rig supervising BP operations.
- Second yr - Onshore drilling engineering. So far have been helping out the more experienced engineers so limited leadership opportunities. I am trying to push to get more responsibility - ideally managing the development and planning of multi-million wells (sounds fancier than it is, standard job of a DE). Led some cost saving opportunities that have been adopted.
- WE wise I am on the low side, and the job is typical of someone from an oil major. How can i spin this round?
- No promotions. Oil majors have slow career progressions. I may finish my graduate programme early. Should i wait another yr? I will likely have the same responsibilities as of now except i am guaranteed to graduate by then. If i graduate i will be told on November, so cannot apply on Round 1. Any drawback on this?

Extras:
. Last yr i led a fund raise in Aberdeen to raise money for a poor local school in my home country,
. Salsa dancing since uni (7 yrs). Looking to participate in local shows. Raise south am culture - how can i spin this?
. Looking for some volunteer ops within the company. How beneficial will this be?

MBA Goal: Long-term goal is to be a business leader at an energy company (oil major) taking part in how O&G adapts to threats like tech + low prices and also be part of the future of renewables. Short term - MBB to obtain experience of the energy industry and O&G on companies of various sizes and learn about strategy.

Targets: Harvard, Wharton, LBS, (Top 3 choices) Insead, Kellog, Booth.

Thanks a lot!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Drilling engineer at oil major - profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 13:29
Hi giobru95,

You have a lot of very cool things in your background - interesting international background, high GPA, clear goals, a good GMAT that puts you in the ballpark of the elite schools you are targeting, and some differentiators like the salsa dancing...The stumbling block is the work experience - top programs all tend to have an average of 5 years of work experience on entry. Ideally, you would wait at least a couple more years before applying. Of course, significantly strong work experience and a rapid track record of promotions could help you make the case for moving the timeline earlier, but it sounds like your work experience is more typical of your industry...so I would wait until you have a bit more seniority under your belt for the schools on your list. Luckily "too early" is a much easier problem to fix than "too late" in this world - you have time on your side!

Applying later too gives you the opportunity to pursue volunteer work (outside your company is even better than inside)- I do think showing some interest in your community (however you define that) is important to the schools. Try to find something you have a genuine interest in and passion for --it will shine through on your application through your involvement and the way you talk about it. Often volunteering also provides you with ways to diversify your skill sets and gain leadership (which it sounds like has been harder to acquire on the job so far). Think of it as an opportunity!

Hope this is helpful, best of luck to you!
Julie-Anne

Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

Drilling engineer at oil major - profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate