GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

During photosynthesis, chlorophyll is activated by visible light

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User
During photosynthesis, chlorophyll is activated by visible light  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2014, 07:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

18% (02:23) correct 82% (02:26) wrong based on 1080 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

1. During photosynthesis, chlorophyll is activated by visible light, and an electron is promoted from its ground state to an excited state. In plants, this excited electron goes on to react with carbon dioxide and water, via photo induced electron transfer (PET). However, in the system devised by Cyrille Boyer and colleagues at the University of New South Wales, the excited electron is donated to a monomer, generating a radical, which then goes on to further react and generate polymers through a process known as living radical polymerization.

Which of the following most effectively completes the paragraph above?

A. Inspired by nature, scientists in Australia have united light and chlorophyll to generate a range of polymers that have biomedical applications.
B. One of the challenges in polymer synthesis is achieving control over the length and structure of the polymers generated.
C. Boyer’s team has addressed this using a form of living polymerization called reversible addition fragmentation chain transfer, or RAFT, polymerization, which incorporates an agent, normally a thiocarbonlythio compound, as a mediating species.
D. In the absence of a proper electron donor or acceptor it is possible for such molecules to undergo ordinary fluorescence emission.
E. Various architectures, including star-shaped, comb-shaped and ring-shaped polymers can be synthesized in this way.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6
Re: During photosynthesis, chlorophyll is activated by visible light  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 21:13
1. During photosynthesis, chlorophyll is activated by visible light, and an electron is promoted from its ground state to an excited state. In plants, this excited electron goes on to react with carbon dioxide and water, via photo induced electron transfer (PET). However, in the system devised by Cyrille Boyer and colleagues at the University of New South Wales, the excited electron is donated to a monomer, generating a radical, which then goes on to further react and generate polymers through a process known as living radical polymerization.

A. Inspired by nature, scientists in Australia have united light and chlorophyll to generate a range of polymers that have biomedical applications.
B. One of the challenges in polymer synthesis is achieving control over the length and structure of the polymers generated.
C. Boyer’s team has addressed this using a form of living polymerization called reversible addition fragmentation chain transfer, or RAFT, polymerization, which incorporates an agent, normally a thiocarbonlythio compound, as a mediating species.
D. In the absence of a proper electron donor or acceptor it is possible for such molecules to undergo ordinary fluorescence emission.
E. Various architectures, including star-shaped, comb-shaped and ring-shaped polymers can be synthesized in this way.

From the argument,

Some of the answer choices give information which either ignore the two premises provided or are beyond the scope of the argument.
A. Provides new information which is out of the scope of the argument
B. The correct answer choice supports both premises, such that, it explains the process which excited electrons goes through from the two perspectives given by stating that "one of the challenges in polymer synthesis is achieving control over the length and structure of the polymers generated" :lol:
C. Choice C also presents a new statement which is unrelated to the argument
D. Though seems to be correct ignores the two premises which were presented in the argument and provides another possibility. This choice could be the runner up among the answer choices.
E. We don't know for sure if the argument validates this answer choice from the paragraph given. I think the thing with inference question is its focus on the premises in the argument

I hope this helps :)
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: During photosynthesis, chlorophyll is activated by visible light  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 06:02
someone kindly explain why B is the answer?
my choice was D
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 23:58
why not e, it gives us the uses of the process polymerisation which has been discussed in the preceding sentence.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 10:20
Why is C not a correct answer? Can anybody advice on this?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 07:09
Very tough question, except probably for biologists.

If the last sentence wants to round up the whole paragraph, it has to establish a link to the first part of the argument. It doesn't need to be its conclusion.

On this grounds we can eliminate choice C, which further discusses Boyer's approach and could theoretically go on forever without offering the reader any explanation for the first generalisation. Choice A introduces new team and new information and clearly has no connection to the first part of the argument. Choice D similarly introduces new phenomenon called "fluorescence emission", which I again cannot link to the whole argument. I eliminated choice E on the same logic.

Tough question for non-native speaker.

Can any expert offer his or her views on how to tackle such questions?

Thanks a million,
Jay
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 19:29
Unable to understand why the challenges faced in the latter process is the most effective way to complete the argument. E seems equally or maybe more compelling as it explains the reasoning behind pursuing the latter process; if the former process was an all-encompassing one, researchers wouldn't even have pursued the latter.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 21:30
Got it, thanks - too technical, i would say though!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 23:11
B - Choice brings the appropriate contrast for the sentence that starts with however ...
E - Appears to be right choice, but it doesnt add appropriate contrast..
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 18:38
This is not a CR question. It is a joke!!! somebody got an article from the web and used it as a CR question.

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2014/ ... merisation

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 07:21
During photosynthesis, chlorophyll is activated by visible light, and an electron is promoted from its ground state to an excited state. In plants, this excited electron goes on to react with carbon dioxide and water, via photo induced electron transfer (PET). However, in the system devised by Cyrille Boyer and colleagues at the University of New South Wales, the excited electron is donated to a monomer, generating a radical, which then goes on to further react and generate polymers through a process known as living radical polymerization.

Acc to http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2014/ ... merisation
2nd para 1st line and 2nd para last line, both could complete the above argument

Can someone please shed some light on why E) is wrong? I understand why C is right. Since this is a doubtful Q, maybe both can be right
Thanks in advance

You have to dig deep and find out what it takes to reshuffle the cards life dealt you

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 07:29
Check the previous comment.

This is not a CR question. It is a joke!!! somebody got an article from the web and used it as a CR question.

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2014/ ... merisation

You could use any of the answers.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 18:40
IMO OA is B

In my case, I concentrated on the last sentence.

'generating a radical, which then goes on to further react and generate polymers through a process known as living radical polymerization.'

-> radical, further react : It means that it is hard to contol.

So I chose B.

-> The most important thing is conclusion.
A is not include point of conclusion.
-> Keep
C. Boyer???s team has addressed this using a form of living polymerization called reversible addition fragmentation chain transfer, or RAFT,
polymerization, which incorporates an agent, normally a thiocarbonlythio compound, as a mediating species.
-> Same reason as A
C is not include point of conclusion
-> incorrect. proper electron or acceptor are needed.
-> 'Shape' is out of scope.
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 10:10
Experts mikemcgarry GMATNinja sayantanc2k Please shed some light on this question...I chose Option E as the process of polymerisation has been explained through Option E

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 17:21
vasuca10 wrote:
Experts mikemcgarry GMATNinja sayantanc2k Please shed some light on this question...I chose Option E as the process of polymerisation has been explained through Option E

Dear vasuca10,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, as a general rule, don't post anything in any thread on GMAT Club until you have at least skimmed the discussion on the entire thread. In this thread, it would have been crucial to notice cledgard's comments in May & June 2017. This is NOT a GMAT CR practice question. It is a complete mess. The text was plagiarized from a scientific article. The sentence we are suppose to infer from the paragraph is the first sentence of the next paragraph: that sentence makes perfect sense in context, but there's no way we could be expected to predict that sentence from the content of this paragraph. If you are looking for GMAT CR practice, this question is an unmitigated disaster and a complete waste of time.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 22:45
Thanks for the prompt response mikemcgarry

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

GMAT Club Bot
Re: During photosynthesis, chlorophyll is activated by visible light &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jan 2018, 22:45

During photosynthesis, chlorophyll is activated by visible light

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap