GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 10:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Each increase of 1 percent in real disposable personal income per capi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Each increase of 1 percent in real disposable personal income per capi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Dec 2018, 05:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:51) correct 31% (02:04) wrong based on 555 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Each increase of 1 percent in real disposable personal income per capita will increase the share of the electorate for an incumbent by about 2.2 percentage points, other things being equal. Since 1952 there has been a decline in real disposable income during only one presidential election year. The incumbent lost that election.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?

(A) When an incumbent runs for office, he or she is likely to win.

(B) Political parties should take care to put forth a candidate who seems prosperous.

(C) Presidential candidates should put their greatest efforts into improving their public image.

(D) Because a presidential campaign requires the expenditure of large amounts of money, it frequently impoverishes a candidate and his or her supporters.

(E) The outcome of a presidential election is substantially affected by factors other than the ideological positions of the candidates.

Shikhar

Originally posted by shikhar on 09 May 2012, 10:34.
Last edited by hazelnut on 18 Dec 2018, 05:44, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: Each increase of 1 percent in real disposable personal income per capi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2012, 09:49
shikhar wrote:
Each increase of 1 percent in real disposable personal income per capita will increase the share of the electorate for an incumbent by about 2.2 percentage points, other things being equal. Since 1952 there has been a decline in real disposable income during only one presidential election year. The incumbent lost that election.
Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?
(A) When an incumbent runs for office, he or she is likely to win. - Not Necessarily
(B) Political parties should take care to put forth a candidate who seems prosperous. - Not based on premise
(C) Presidential candidates should put their greatest efforts into improving their public image. - Not based on premise
(D) Because a presidential campaign requires the expenditure of large amounts of money, it frequently impoverishes a candidate and his or her supporters. - Not based on premise

(E) The outcome of a presidential election is substantially affected by factors other than the ideological positions of the candidates. - Can be concluded safely - CORRECT

Argument says :
increase in disposable personal income impacts results of presidential elections. So it can be safely conclude Ideological position of the candidate is not the only thing that impacts the result of presidential election.
Ans Option E precisely does the same.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Re: Each increase of 1 percent in real disposable personal income per capi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 21:12
Hi all,
I agree that option E is the best of all.However,what are "ideological positions" mentioned in this choice?
This is an inference question,and there is no other information which states that there are some other factor apart from "disposable personal income per capita" which can affect the election as well.We know that A causes B;how can we conclude that there something apart from C,which is A,causes B
What am I missing?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 00:00
sleepynut wrote:
Hi all,
I agree that option E is the best of all.However,what are "ideological positions" mentioned in this choice?
This is an inference question,and there is no other information which states that there are some other factor apart from "disposable personal income per capita" which can affect the election as well.We know that A causes B;how can we conclude that there something apart from C,which is A,causes B
What am I missing?

You have yourself effectively answered your own query.
The passage implies that A causes B.
C is not mentioned in the passage.
The passage implies that something other than C (i.e. A) causes B: this is option E. (However this option does not imply whether C can or cannot cause B - it just states that something other than C causes B.)

In option E, the cause C is stated as "ideological positions of the candidates". It could have been any factor other than cause A (change in real disposable income).
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 01:38
Argument says :
increase in disposable personal income impacts results of presidential elections. So it can be safely conclude Ideological position of the candidate is not the only thing that impacts the result of presidential election. Choice E precisely does the same. Hence, E is the answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Each increase of 1 percent in real disposable personal income per capi   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2018, 01:38

Each increase of 1 percent in real disposable personal income per capi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics