GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2007, 21:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (00:58) correct 28% (01:02) wrong based on 804 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—were strong and interesting women, very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels.

(A) Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—were strong and interesting women,

(B) Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—each of them Hemingway’s wives—were strong and interesting women,

(C) Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—were all strong and interesting women,

(D) Strong and interesting women—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—each a wife of Hemingway, was

(E) Strong and interesting women—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—every one of Hemingway’s wives were
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2012, 19:58
The most important clue here is that the four wives of Hemingway are collectively grouped under the plural noun women for a proper comparison with the pallid women of his novels. Therefore, we cannot entertain singular noun or pronoun such as each or every one in any of the choices, even though we might assign the right verbs for those nouns that. You may see, Choice A, B, D, and E are all alluding to the singular woman in some part or other. We can dump all of them as irrelevant in one go and choose C as the right choice. C is perfect in SV agreement and comparison

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Re: Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2007, 02:03
i am glad you posted this question again.

hypens act as commas.

Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—were all strong and interesting women, very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels.

Hemingway’s wives, Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh, were all strong and interesting women, very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels.

Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh is an appositive clause.

=================

Hemingway’s wives were all strong and interesting women, very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels.

can someone elaborate on the structure of the latter half of the sentence above? it does not seem to be an absolute phrase because it does not modify the entire preceding clause. it modifies wives.

empty_spaces wrote:
270.Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—were strong and interesting women, very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels.

(A) Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—were strong and interesting women,
each ...are

(B) Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—each of them Hemingway’s wives—were strong and interesting women,

(C) Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—were all strong and interesting women,

(D) Strong and interesting women—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—each a wife of Hemingway, was

(E) Strong and interesting women—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—every one of Hemingway’s wives were
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2007, 06:53
empty_spaces wrote:
270.Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—were strong and interesting women, very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels.

Please EXPLAIN your answers.

thanks

Each is a singular for eg : "each apple from the basket was tasty and fresh"
or "each one has to face the ordeal called GMAT"
similarly each of his wives was an interesting woman..

So going by this logic . A and B out.
D and E are grammatically ill-formed and awkward.
C is correct..
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2007, 09:51
Amit05 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:

Please EXPLAIN your answers.

thanks

Each is a singular for eg : "each apple from the basket was tasty and fresh"
or "each one has to face the ordeal called GMAT"
similarly each of his wives was an interesting woman..

So going by this logic . A and B out.
D and E are grammatically ill-formed and awkward.
C is correct..

There is no "was" in C . So how does it work using your logic. I think were is correct based on explanation from bmw.
Though I chose C which is the correct answer but jittery on my answer.
But I am just wondering why A is wrong?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2007, 17:00
1. Appropriate Construction is Each/Everyone of Xs [Singular verb]
This eliminates, A, B, E

2. "very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels." needs to be compared with women and not just a woman. Ex: "Hemingway's wife was very different than any of the often pallid women who populate his novels"
"Hemingway's wives were different than the women in his novels"
This eliminates D.

C seems Appropriate
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2007, 20:28
I go with C

concise, maintains the proper S-V agreement
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson Pauline Pfeiffer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2009, 12:54
Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh—were strong and interesting women, very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels.

What is the difference between B & C
Manager
Manager
Re: sentence correction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2009, 14:15
When using each, any, etc need singular tense.
So it should be "each of Hemingway's wives has ...". Hence [B] is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2009, 17:25
Hai Badgerboy

In option B, "Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh" is the subject of the sentence

"--each of them Hemingway's wives-- " could not be the subject of the sentnece becuse it is in hypen, so the subject should be plural.

In option C the subject " Hemingway's wives" is also in plural farm

I couldnt find any error in B &C. please provide your valuable explanation

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2010, 20:52
what does 'his' refer to?? Hemingway is not mentioned in the correct answer choice...
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2010, 07:48
Since 'Hemingway' is not mentioned in any choices for 'his' ignore that.

'each' is singular and so needs singular verb.

Hence C.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2010, 10:37
IMO C...
Subject verb agreement.. This is an OG question

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2011, 04:10
Hi,
I'm sorry but I still have a doubt in this question.
I read somewhere that "each" after a plural doesn't affect the verb as in
"Lemons and Oranges, each of which is a citrus fruit, are rich in Vitamin C".

If the above example is correct I don't see a problem with option B.

Any help would be really appreciated.. :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2011, 02:53
IT IS C; B looks clumsy - "each of them Hemingway's wives"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2011, 18:30
Torn between A and C.

A is wrong as each is singular and women is plural.

Hence left with C.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Each of Hemingways wivesHadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2011, 03:56
option A is wrong because each at the sart of the sentence is always singular...

between option B and C....

IMO B is wrong because it is wordy....

C

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Re: Each of Hemingways wivesHadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2011, 04:05
IMO-C

In B-"each of them" is singular hence use if verb were is incorrect.Plus the statement is wordy.
In C- use of plural verb were is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2012, 17:03
Each of Hemingway's wives--Hadley Richardson. Pauline Pfeiffer. Martha Gelhom. and Mary Welsh --were
strong and interesting women, very different from the often pallid women who populate his novels.
(A) Each of Hemingway's wives--Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary
Welsh--were strong and interesting women,
(B) Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhorn, and Mary Welsh--each of them Hemingway's
wives--were strong and, interesting women,
(C) Hemingway's wives--Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary Welsh--were all
strong and interesting women,
(D) Strong and interesting women—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary
Welsh--each a wife of Hemingway, was
(E) Strong and interesting women—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary
Welsh--every one of Hemingway's wives were
can anyone tell the difference between B and C. My doubt is in B"--each of them Hemingway's
wives--" is in hyphen,so what should be the subject of the sentence, "Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer...." or "each of them ..." please explain.
Manager
Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2012, 17:53
Some how -- type of questions scare me. But this question thanks to each there s a clue :)

Posted from my mobile device

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Re: Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2012, 17:53

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

Each of Hemingway’s wives—Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap