GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     November 18, 2018

     November 18, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Posts: 512
Location: Kolkata,India
Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2009, 02:42
10
56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (02:09) correct 61% (01:59) wrong based on 813 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a mixture of oats and barley. The ratio of the amount of barley to that of oats varies from piglet to piglet, but each piglet is fed some of both grains. how many piglets are there in the litter?

(1) Piglet A was fed exactly 1/4 of the oats today
(2) Piglet A was fed exactly 1/6 of the barley today

_________________

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8550
Location: Pune, India
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2011, 18:11
24
9
@subhashghosh: As requested by you, I will try and explain the logic used in this question.

For now, forget the data given in the question. Consider this:

10% of Oats and 20% of Barley was fed to piglet A.

My question is - Of the total food (Oats + Barley) what percentage was fed to piglet A?
It will depend on the ratio of Oats and Barley. If the mixture had only oats, the piglet was fed 10% of total food. If the mixture had only Barley, the piglet was fed 20% of the mixture. If the mixture had half oats and half barley, the piglet was fed 15% of the mixture. If the mixture had 1 part Oats for every 4 parts Barley, the piglet was fed 18% of the mixture (it is just weighted average). Whatever the case, the piglet was fed more than 10% of total food and less than 20% total food if the mixture had both Oats and Barley.

If this sounds good, consider data given in the question – the piglet was fed 25% Oats and 16.66% Barley (1/4 Oats and 1/6 Barley). So definitely, the piglet was fed more than 1/6 of the total mixture and less than ¼ of the total mixture (as reasoned above). The total food mixture was split equally among all the piglets. Number of piglets has to be an integer, say n. Each piglet gets the same amount of food i.e. 1/n of the total food. But each piglet also gets less than ¼ of total food and more than 1/6 of total food. The only integral value for n such that 1/6 < 1/n < ¼ is 5.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2009
Posts: 113
Schools: NYU, NUS, ISB, DUKE, ROSS, DARDEN
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2009, 04:21
10
5
Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a mixture of oats and barley. The ratio of the amount of barley to that of oats varies from piglet to piglet, but each piglet is fed some of both grains. how many piglets are there in the litter?

1) Piglet A was fed exactly 1/4 of the oats today
2) Piglet A was fed exactly 1/6 of the barley today



SOL:

St1:
Just knowing how much of the oats Piglet A was fed today is not sufficient to answer how many piglets are there in the litter. If Piglet A was fed 1/4 of the barley as well then we could conclude that there are a total of 4 piglets. But if the amount of barley is more or less then we can't be sure.
=> NOT SUFFICIENT



St2:
By similar reasoning,
=> NOT SUFFICIENT



St1 & St2 Together:
Since Piglet A was fed 1/4 of the Oats and 1/6 of the barley, we can say for sure that there can be a minimum of 4 piglets and a maximum of 6 piglets.

Using statements 1 & 2 we get the equation => 1/4*O + 1/6*B = 1/2
=> 3O + 2B = 6 ................... I

We know that the number of piglets is between 4 and 6 and that for every piglet the total of (O + B) required is 0.5 pound where O & B cannot be zero. With this knowledge and the assumption that nothing of oats and barley should be left after the piglets have been fed, lets form another equation:
If number of piglets is 4, we would require (O + B)*4 = 0.5 * 4 = 2
=> O + B = 2 ...................... IIA
Solving I & IIA we get,
O = 2, B = 0 => Not valid since B cannot be 0.

If number of piglets is 5, we would require (O + B)*5 = 0.5 * 5 = 2.5
=> O + B = 2.5 .................... IIB
Solving I & IIB we get,
O = 1, B = 1.5 => Valid


If number of piglets is 6, we would require (O + B)*6 = 0.5 * 6 = 3
=> O + B = 3 ...................... IIC
Solving I & IIC we get,
O = 0, B = 3 => Not valid since O cannot be 0.
=> SUFFICIENT

ANS: C


PS: If all the oats and barley doesnt need to be fed to the piglets then the answer to this question would be E, as the number of piglets could be 4 or 5.
_________________

KUDOS me if I deserve it !! :)

My GMAT Debrief - 740 (Q50, V39) | My Test-Taking Strategies for GMAT | Sameer's SC Notes

General Discussion
GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1327
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2009, 18:57
12
3
Neither statement is sufficient alone. Together, if the pig had 1/6 of the barley and 1/4 of the oats, the fraction of the total food it had was somewhere between 1/6 and 1/4. Since each pig gets an equal amount of food, each pig gets 1/n of the total amount of food, where n must be an integer. So 1/6 < 1/n < 1/4, and n must be 5.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2009
Posts: 18
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2009, 08:41
Hi everyone,

Looking over the answer to the solution, I am confused as to why their needs to be a minimum and maximum of 4 to 6 piglets respectively. Given that their is 3/4 of the Oats and 5/6 of the Barley, why could their not be 7 piglet where each received 3/28 of the Oats and 5/42 of the Barley? Or following the same logic, even more than 7 piglets?

Thanks,

Dhushan
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7036
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2009, 09:47
1
restricting the no between 4 and 6 because some piglet has 1/4 of oats and 1/6 of something else does not make senseand cannot be correct
can someone post OA..
from 2 statements one can get 3o+2b=6..(i)
and if t is total no of piglets total food=t*1/2=t/2 pounds..
also total food=b+o=t/2....(ii)
two eq but three variables o,b and t so ans should be E
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1327
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2009, 05:34
4
3
dhushan wrote:
Looking over the answer to the solution, I am confused as to why their needs to be a minimum and maximum of 4 to 6 piglets respectively. Given that their is 3/4 of the Oats and 5/6 of the Barley, why could their not be 7 piglet where each received 3/28 of the Oats and 5/42 of the Barley? Or following the same logic, even more than 7 piglets?


You're not using one crucial piece of information - each pig ate the same total amount of food. We know that one pig had 1/4 of the oats and 1/6 of the barley. If each other pig had 3/28 of the oats, then each other pig had less oats than the first pig, and if each other pig had 5/42 of the barley, then each other pig had less barley than the first pig. If the other pigs had less oats and less barley than the first pig, there's no way they could have had the same total amount of food.


chetan2u wrote:
restricting the no between 4 and 6 because some piglet has 1/4 of oats and 1/6 of something else does not make senseand cannot be correct
can someone post OA..
from 2 statements one can get 3o+2b=6..(i)
and if t is total no of piglets total food=t*1/2=t/2 pounds..
also total food=b+o=t/2....(ii)
two eq but three variables o,b and t so ans should be E


You aren't using one crucial piece of information: t must be an integer (and o and b must be positive). When you have restrictions on your unknowns, then counting equations and unknowns can be very misleading (see Q123 in the DS section of OG12 for another example). If the solution I posted above doesn't make sense to you, you can proceed algebraically, using the equations you wrote above. First, multiply the equation b + o = t/2 by 2 on both sides, and subtract from the equation 3o + 2b = 6:

3o+2b = 6
- 2o + 2b = t
o = 6 - t

Now, o is clearly positive, so the right side of the equation above must be positive, and t < 6.

Next, multiply the equation b + o = t/2 by 3 on both sides, and subtract the equation 3o + 2b = 6 from it:

3o + 3b = 3t/2
- 3o + 2b = 6
b = 1.5t - 6
2b/3 = t - 4

Now b is clearly positive, so the right side of the above equation must be positive, and t > 4.

Since 4 < t < 6, and t is an integer, t = 5. The answer is C.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2009, 19:40
5
2
Another way to find the No of pig is 5:
We need to know how much (O + B) there is (in pounds).

As 1/4 O + 1/6 B = 1/2 => O + 2/3 B = 2 (both sides multiplied with 4) but O + 2/3 B < O + B, then O + B > 2, which means there must be more than 4 pigs to eat more than 2 pounds.

Similarly, 1/4 O + 1/6 B = 1/2 => 3/2 O + B = 3 (both sides multiplied with 6) but 3/2 O + B > O + B, then O + B < 3, which means that the food is not enough for 6 pigs.

The No of pigs must be integer, then it is definitely 5.

However this explanation also uses the same method as in above posts.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Brainstorming.
Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 201
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2011, 06:53
6
2
St 1 : InSuf
piglet A fed 1/4 of oats.
St 2 : InSuf
piglet B fed 1/6 of barley.

St 1+2 : Suff

There are total 10 parts of Oats & Barley
Piglet A fed 2 parts out of 10. These 2 parts weigh 0.5 pound.
So 10 parts weigh 2.5 pounds.
Each piglet fed 0.5 pound so we can say that 2.5/0.5 = 5 piglets
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 85
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA (M)
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
WE: Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2011, 23:39
a very nice question indeed which test your knowledge of weghited average

which says weight average of A and B will be between A and B


so piglet can be fed a mix of wt avg b/w 1/4 and 1/6
when total qty remain same = 1/2


kudo to you karishma
_________________

lets start again

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 31
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2011, 23:45
Hi Karishma,

I understood your explanation for the general part,however,with reference to this problem,I am still a little confused.

Can u please elaborate on the usage of the weighted average method for this problem.

Thanks!

Regards,
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8550
Location: Pune, India
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2011, 19:08
17
2
dkj1984 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I understood your explanation for the general part,however,with reference to this problem,I am still a little confused.

Can u please elaborate on the usage of the weighted average method for this problem.

Thanks!

Regards,


Ok, let me explain using a different example.
Say a meal consists of a sandwich and a milkshake. You eat 1/2 of the sandwich and drink 1/2 of the milkshake. Can I say you have had 1/2 of the meal? Sure, right?
If you eat only 1/4 of the sandwich and drink 1/4 of the milkshake, then you would have had only 1/4 of the meal.
What happens in case you eat 1/2 of the sandwich but drink only 1/4 of the milkshake? In that case, you have had less than 1/2 of the meal but certainly more than 1/4 of the meal, right?

So when piglet A is fed 1/4 of the Oats and 1/6 of the Barley, it is fed less than 1/4 of the total food but more than 1/6 of the total food.

Another thing to consider here is that number of piglets has to be a positive integer, say 'n'. Now, since it is given that each piglet gets the same amount of food and there are n piglets, each piglet will get 1/n of the total food. So piglet A must have got 1/n of the total food too.

This 1/n must lie between 1/4 and 1/6. Only 1/5 lies between 1/4 and 1/6 (such that n is a positive integer). Hence n must be 5.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 134
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2011, 05:33
1
1/4 + 1/6 = half pound ....(1)
Combination of half pounds are : (1/4, 1/6) (1/4, 1/6) (1/4, 1/6) (1/4, 1/6) Remaining is (1/6,1/6)
1/6 in itself is not half pound (refer 1). Therefore, 1/6 barley + 1/6 barley must be half pound. Therefore, 5 combination of half pounds. C is the answer.
However, dont assume that the last piglet is going to eat barley only. Just look for how many half pounds you can make in total - that must be no. of piglets.
_________________

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 11 Sep 2013
Posts: 157
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2014, 00:57
PranavChamp wrote:
St 1 : InSuf
piglet A fed 1/4 of oats.
St 2 : InSuf
piglet B fed 1/6 of barley.

St 1+2 : Suff

There are total 10 parts of Oats & Barley
Piglet A fed 2 parts out of 10. These 2 parts weigh 0.5 pound.
So 10 parts weigh 2.5 pounds.
Each piglet fed 0.5 pound so we can say that 2.5/0.5 = 5 piglets



How have you come up with 2 parts?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8550
Location: Pune, India
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2014, 20:19
Raihanuddin wrote:
PranavChamp wrote:
St 1 : InSuf
piglet A fed 1/4 of oats.
St 2 : InSuf
piglet B fed 1/6 of barley.

St 1+2 : Suff

There are total 10 parts of Oats & Barley
Piglet A fed 2 parts out of 10. These 2 parts weigh 0.5 pound.
So 10 parts weigh 2.5 pounds.
Each piglet fed 0.5 pound so we can say that 2.5/0.5 = 5 piglets



How have you come up with 2 parts?


You do not know that oats and barley were mixed in the ratio 4:6 i.e. you cannot say that there are 4 parts of oats and 6 parts of barley. They could be in any ratio and hence we cannot say that piglet A was fed 2 parts of the mix.
Look at the explanations given in previous posts.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 251
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2014, 10:01
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
dkj1984 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I understood your explanation for the general part,however,with reference to this problem,I am still a little confused.

Can u please elaborate on the usage of the weighted average method for this problem.

Thanks!

Regards,


Ok, let me explain using a different example.
Say a meal consists of a sandwich and a milkshake. You eat 1/2 of the sandwich and drink 1/2 of the milkshake. Can I say you have had 1/2 of the meal? Sure, right?
If you eat only 1/4 of the sandwich and drink 1/4 of the milkshake, then you would have had only 1/4 of the meal.
What happens in case you eat 1/2 of the sandwich but drink only 1/4 of the milkshake? In that case, you have had less than 1/2 of the meal but certainly more than 1/4 of the meal, right?

So when piglet A is fed 1/4 of the Oats and 1/6 of the Barley, it is fed less than 1/4 of the total food but more than 1/6 of the total food.

Another thing to consider here is that number of piglets has to be a positive integer, say 'n'. Now, since it is given that each piglet gets the same amount of food and there are n piglets, each piglet will get 1/n of the total food. So piglet A must have got 1/n of the total food too.

This 1/n must lie between 1/4 and 1/6. Only 1/5 lies between 1/4 and 1/6 (such that n is a positive integer). Hence n must be 5.

Hi Karishma,

I was with you until the highlighted statement above. I understand the logic as to why piglet A is fed less than a 1/4 but more than a 1/6. That being said, why is 1/5 the only other variables? Even though piglets have an integer constraint, I fail to see how that translates into your last statement?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8550
Location: Pune, India
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 00:16
russ9 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
dkj1984 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I understood your explanation for the general part,however,with reference to this problem,I am still a little confused.

Can u please elaborate on the usage of the weighted average method for this problem.

Thanks!

Regards,


Ok, let me explain using a different example.
Say a meal consists of a sandwich and a milkshake. You eat 1/2 of the sandwich and drink 1/2 of the milkshake. Can I say you have had 1/2 of the meal? Sure, right?
If you eat only 1/4 of the sandwich and drink 1/4 of the milkshake, then you would have had only 1/4 of the meal.
What happens in case you eat 1/2 of the sandwich but drink only 1/4 of the milkshake? In that case, you have had less than 1/2 of the meal but certainly more than 1/4 of the meal, right?

So when piglet A is fed 1/4 of the Oats and 1/6 of the Barley, it is fed less than 1/4 of the total food but more than 1/6 of the total food.

Another thing to consider here is that number of piglets has to be a positive integer, say 'n'. Now, since it is given that each piglet gets the same amount of food and there are n piglets, each piglet will get 1/n of the total food. So piglet A must have got 1/n of the total food too.

This 1/n must lie between 1/4 and 1/6. Only 1/5 lies between 1/4 and 1/6 (such that n is a positive integer). Hence n must be 5.

Hi Karishma,

I was with you until the highlighted statement above. I understand the logic as to why piglet A is fed less than a 1/4 but more than a 1/6. That being said, why is 1/5 the only other variables? Even though piglets have an integer constraint, I fail to see how that translates into your last statement?


We need the solution for 1/n such that n is an integer. It must lie between 1/4 and 1/6 i.e. between .25 and .1666. What integer value can n take? Can it be 7? Will 1/7 lie between 1/6 and 1/4? Can it be 3? Will 1/3 lie between 1/4 and 1/6? n cannot be greater than 6 or less than 4 because it goes out of range. So n must be 5.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4488
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound......  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 15:47
1
ishanmechno wrote:
Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a mixture of oats and barley. The ratio of the amount of barley to that of oats varies from piglet to piglet, but each piglet is fed some of both grains. How many piglets are there in the litter?

1) Piglet A was fed exactly 1/4 of the oats today.
2) Piglet A was fed exactly 1/6 of the barley today.

Dear ishanmechno,

I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, you may not be aware of this, but by posting this in a new thread, you have violated the guidelines of GMAT Club. This individual question has been posted numerous times before, for example here:
each-piglet-in-a-litter-is-fed-exactly-one-half-pound-of-a-82321.html
Whenever you are curious about a math question, ALWAYS search extensively for the question before starting a new thread. Only start a new thread if you are 100% sure that the question has never been posted before on GMAT Club. I believe this question is from GMAT Prep. Every single math question in GMAT Prep has already been posted by someone somewhere in this forum. If you search, you will find a thread, and it may be that one of the posts already existing in that thread will answer your questions. If not, you can always add your own questions to that thread, and all the experts who already posted in that thread will be notified.

I will ask Bunuel to merge topics.

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 635
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 09:35
1
tejal777 wrote:
Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a mixture of oats and barley. The ratio of the amount of barley to that of oats varies from piglet to piglet, but each piglet is fed some of both grains. how many piglets are there in the litter?

(1) Piglet A was fed exactly 1/4 of the oats today
(2) Piglet A was fed exactly 1/6 of the barley today


What bothers me is that it's unclear whether the statements are referring to the total amount of oats/barley fed to all of the piglets, or the total amount of oats/barley in the mixture. The original answer implies that we should assume those are the same (i.e. 100% of the mixture is fed to the piglets every day), but that seems far from obvious to me.

If you don't make that assumption, here's a solution where there are four piglets:

total mixture - 1.8 lbs oats, 0.3 lbs barley, 2.1 lbs total
each piglet (including piglet A) gets 0.45 lbs of oats and 0.05 lbs of barley
four piglets in total
0.1 lbs of the mixture goes uneaten
_________________

Image

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Dec 2016
Posts: 76
Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 20:28
The answer seems to be quite a lot simpler than the people are explaining. Think of it like this

(a) if 1/4 the pig ate that day was oats then maybe he had 100% oats and now there is 1.5 of oats left and an unlimited amount of barley. There could be 0.5 barley there could be 600
(b) Same logic for (b)

Now (C) which people seem to be over complicate

(1) If Oats was greater than 2 then that would mean the pig ate more than 0.5 of food so we know oats can't be bigger than 2
(2) If barley was greater than 3 we know the pig would eat more than 0.5 of food so we know the maximum number of Oats + Barley is 5

So if we know the maximum number of oats + Barley is 5 there can be a maximum of 10 pigs. But we know that the pig has a mix so now we know there are less than 10 pigs.

We also know as mentioned that there has to be greater than 4 Pigs because Oats can't be below 2. Because if oats were 2 and a pig ate 1/4 of it he would have no room left over for Barley.

So you know that the amount of food has to be >2 and less than <5. So from this we know the amount of pigs can be 5,6,7,8 or 9. We can try a couple of amounts to guess.

Let's try 9 first

A+B=4.5 (4.5=9/2.. 9 pigs so each pigs eats 0.5)
1/4 A + 1/6B = 0.5

A+B=4.5
A + 4/6B =2
Cancelling
2/6 B = 2.5 X 3 implies B =7.5 so this does not get a solution.

Let's try 8 pigs
A+B=4
1/4A+1/6 B =0.5

A+B=4
A+4/6B =2
2/6 B = 2. Again implying B =6! Not possible as 6 >4

NOW LET'S PICK A LOWER NUMBER SAY 6 PIGS

We get
A= oats
B= Barley
A+B=3
1/4A + 1/6B = 0.5.

Let's solve for B.

A+B =3
A + 4/6B = 2

2/6B = 1 . B =3. We know this amount isn't possible as the pig has to eat some oats!

From this let's try to guess a lower amount say 2.5

A+B = 2.5
1/4A + 1/6 B = 0.5

A+B =2.5
A + 4/6 B =2

2/6 B =0.5 . 1/6 B = 0.25 and B = 1.5. From this we would get X = 1 and this equation works at these numbers.

We already know 4 pigs is impossible because that would imply they only ate oats.
A+B=2
1/4A + 1/6 B =0.5

A+B=2
A+4/6 = 2

2/6 B = 0. We know this is not possible



To go even quicker you can use the logic some of the experts used above. For instance, if we had 3 pounds of food and one pig got 1/6 of it that would mean it ate 0.5 pounds. If there were 4 pounds of food than 1/6 would be 4/6 above 0.5 so that is too high. So we know there are less than 6 pigs. If we had 2 pounds of food we know that 1/4 is consumed or 0.5. But any less than 4 pounds would be too low a number. As you guys can see 2 pounds of food would imply the pig only ate oats and 6 pounds would imply a pig only ate barley therefore the only integer that works is 5. You can then check 5 to see if it works which it does.
GMAT Club Bot
Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a &nbs [#permalink] 19 Jul 2017, 20:28

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Each piglet in a litter is fed exactly one-half pound of a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.