GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fedora Convertibles began selling the Freewheeler—its newest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Fedora Convertibles began selling the Freewheeler—its newest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2013, 00:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:19) correct 17% (01:55) wrong based on 338 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Fedora Convertibles began selling the Freewheeler—its newest convertible sports car—in May of this year. Fedora sent out a press release last month indicating that the Freewheeler’s sales for May, June, July, and August totaled over 50,000. As a result, Fedora will in all likelihood easily meet its stated sales goal of 120,000 for Freewheeler's first year of release.

Which of the following would be most useful in order to evaluate this prediction?

(A) Fedora is the market leader in this category of automobile.
(B) Freewheeler is significantly more expensive than similar models produced by Fedora’competitors.
(C) Fedora released a similar model in May of the previous year.
(D) Sales of similar models of cars are typically much higher in the summer months than at any other time of the year.
(E) Freewheeler sales are important to meeting the sales goals of Fedora as a company.
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Re: Fedora Convertibles began selling the Freewheeler—its newest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2013, 02:08
mohnish104 wrote:
Fedora Convertibles began selling the Freewheeler - its newest convertible sports car - in May of this year. Fedora sent out a press release last month indicating that the Freewheeler’s sales for May, June, July, and August totaled over 50,000. As a result, Fedora will in all likelihood easily meet its stated sales goal of 120,000 for Freewheeler's first year of release. Which of the following would be most useful in order to evaluate this prediction?

A. Fedora is the market leader in this category of automobile.
B. Freewheeler is significantly more expensive than similar models produced by Fedora’competitors.
C. Fedora released a similar model in May of the previous year.
D. Sales of similar models of cars are typically much higher in the summer months than at any other time of the year.
E. Freewheeler sales are important to meeting the sales goals of Fedora as a company.

In order to know whether the company is going to achieve its sales target, we need to know whether people will continue buying the convertibles in the remaining months of the year. Answer A is too general and thus irrelevant. Choice B also does not help because even if this is true, people have already bought 50000 of these cars. Thus the price does not discourage them. Answer C is also too general. The fact that the company launched a similar model does not help us decide how many cars will be sold this year. Answer E is also out of scope. The fact that the sales of the new model are important for the company does not influence people's buying habits. The correct answer is . If people buy convertibles only in the summer, it is very likely that the company will not reach its sales target.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 08:48
mohnish104 wrote:
Fedora Convertibles began selling the Freewheeler - its newest convertible sports car - in May of this year. Fedora sent out a press release last month indicating that the Freewheeler’s sales for May, June, July, and August totaled over 50,000. As a result, Fedora will in all likelihood easily meet its stated sales goal of 120,000 for Freewheeler's first year of release. Which of the following would be most useful in order to evaluate this prediction?

A. Fedora is the market leader in this category of automobile.
B. Freewheeler is significantly more expensive than similar models produced by Fedora’competitors.
C. Fedora released a similar model in May of the previous year.
D. Sales of similar models of cars are typically much higher in the summer months than at any other time of the year.
E. Freewheeler sales are important to meeting the sales goals of Fedora as a company.

There is a very good variance test that e-gmat proposes to use in case of evaluate the argument questions.
The variance test suggests that in options that seem feasible , take the answer choice to extremes - both positive and negative ways and if the conclusion in the argument also sways the same way then that is the correct answer choice.
For example in this question the conclusion is "Fedora will in all likelihood easily meet its stated sales goal of 120,000 for Freewheeler's first year of release."
when we go through the answer choices then one answer choice that seems to be good is option D.
To evaluate our argument we take this answer choice and take it to extremes
-> Sales of similar models of cars are typically much higher in summer months - assume this is 100% true.
If this is true then it raises doubt about the conclusion.
-> Sales of similar models of cars are typically much higher in summer months - assume this is not true at all.
If this is not true then our conclusion stands valid as it is assumed that the the sales of the car will go on at similar rate.

Kudos me if you liked the post !!!!
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 22:09
I was stuck between A and D. Why can't the answer be A?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 01:36
Hi coolredwine,

i also narrowed it down to A and D. but A is too general.it just says that company is a market leader...so what??
there should be some insight given about the sales of the cars ..whether or not it can achieve its target or not...which clearly D does.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 06:02
hsbinfy wrote:
Hi coolredwine,

i also narrowed it down to A and D. but A is too general.it just says that company is a market leader...so what??
there should be some insight given about the sales of the cars ..whether or not it can achieve its target or not...which clearly D does.

Can't we say that since Fedora is the market leader, it will be selling most number of cars. Hence the conclusion of the argument?
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2016, 16:48
No question that this is a sub-600 question
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 21:46
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fedora Convertibles began selling the Freewheeler—its newest   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2019, 21:46

Fedora Convertibles began selling the Freewheeler—its newest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics