Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35488 [57]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [16]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [13]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Educator Maria Montessori believed that students be allowed to choo [#permalink]
Educator Maria Montessori believed that students be allowed to choose from among a number of different lessons designed for the encouragement of their development as thinkers and creators with individual learning and thinking styles.

A) that students be allowed to choose from among a number of different lessons designed for the encouragement of

B) that students be allowed to choose between a number of different lessons designed to encourage

C) that students should be allowed to choose among a number of different lessons designed to encourage

D) in allowing students to choose from among a number of different lessons were designed for encouraging

E) in allowing students to choose between a number of different lessons designed for the encouragement of

Here 'believed' signifies command so 'that' must follow it and an option which signify a definitive statement would be right answer. Secondly, 'between' can't be used for many lessons - it is used when only things are available to choose from.
A - 'be allowed' is wrong. It suggests as if something is predicted in future when instead it about the reporting of past fact. 'for the encouragement of' is wordy.
B - 'be allowed' and 'between'.
C - CORRECT.
D - 'that were designed' is required but that again would have made it looks cumbersome. 'for encouraging' - infinitive verb is required.
E - 'between' and 'for the encouragement of' are wrong.

'In allowing' is okay.

IMO Answer C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [4]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Educator Maria Montessori believed that students be allowed to choo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
Educator Maria Montessori believed that students be allowed to choose from among a number of different lessons designed for the encouragement of their development as thinkers and creators with individual learning and thinking styles.

A) that students be allowed to choose from among a number of different lessons designed for the encouragement of

B) that students be allowed to choose between a number of different lessons designed to encourage

C) that students should be allowed to choose among a number of different lessons designed to encourage

D) in allowing students to choose from among a number of different lessons were designed for encouraging

E) in allowing students to choose between a number of different lessons designed for the encouragement of

SC40050.02

Lets quickly eliminate B and E for using "between" for more than 2 elements.

Now in A and D "from among" is redundant

C clears all these errors and hence our OA

Although there are still a few other errors in options. Time cutting is very important. So these are fine to reach the answer.

IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Bookmarks
AjiteshArun MentorTutoring VeritasKarishma generis

Quote:

In above approaches: lnm87 wrote:
Here 'believed' signifies command so 'that' must follow it and an option which signify a definitive statement would be right answer

I feel that believed is not a subjunctive verb since I have not seen an usage of should with this type of verbs.
E.g. I insist that government should ease few ease few restrictions in lock down. (Incorrect)
I insist that government ease few ease few restrictions in lock down. (Correct)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [2]
Given Kudos: 298
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Experts please help why "Should " is correct.
I have read never use Should in subjunctive construction. Is there any gap in my understanding???
Please help
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Here 'believed' signifies command so 'that' must follow it and an option which signify a definitive statement would be right answer

I feel that believed is not a subjunctive verb since I have not seen an usage of should with this type of verbs.
E.g. I insist that government should ease few ease few restrictions in lock down. (Incorrect)

I understand the confusion, adkikani, but I do not think lnm87 was calling believed a subjunctive verb. Rather, I think the point was to justify the use of that. The that versus no that issue is not really up for debate in the question at hand, though, since all of (A) through (C) employ the that. In general, it is a good idea to focus on what each question presents, in terms of grammar and meaning, rather than attempt to derive hard-and-fast rules about any similar type of sentence. In this sentence above, someone in the past is able to have believed that someone or some entity should have been allowed to do something. There is no problem at all.

I have to run, or else I will be late to my next tutoring lesson!

- Andrew
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

I understand the confusion, adkikani, but I do not think lnm87 was calling believed a subjunctive verb. Rather, I think the point was to justify the use of that. The that versus no that issue is not really up for debate in the question at hand, though, since all of (A) through (C) employ the that. In general, it is a good idea to focus on what each question presents, in terms of grammar and meaning, rather than attempt to derive hard-and-fast rules about any similar type of sentence. In this sentence above, someone in the past is able to have believed that someone or some entity should have been allowed to do something. There is no problem at all.

I have to run, or else I will be late to my next tutoring lesson!

- Andrew

Thank you MentorTutoring..

I had tried explaining in somewhat similar meaning based (precisely timeline) approach but elaborated considering what the sentence would have looked like had future reference was made. Learnt one more thing. :thumbsup:
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
lnm87 wrote:
Thank you MentorTutoring..

I had tried explaining in somewhat similar meaning based (precisely timeline) approach but elaborated considering what the sentence would have looked like had future reference was made. Learnt one more thing. :thumbsup:

No worries, lnm87. The goal is always to help those in the community better understand the issues that a given question presents. I thought in this case, you had said one thing while another member had interpreted it differently. I enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
the difference between "to do" and "for doing" or "for+noun" trouble us many times.

this robot is designed for learning of persons
this robot is designed to learn the new things.

the first means that the robot is an instrument, which help persons learn. the second means the robot itself can learn to be better more intelligent robot.

this point is basic but few grammar books explain it

our problem is the same.

lesion designed for encouragement of something. this mean someone use the lesion to encourage something.
the lesion designed to encourage something. this means the lesion itself encourage something

a hard point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM

Quote:

1) bare instruction "be allowed" pushes to think it's a subjunctive mood, but the verb "believe" does not require subjunctive mood construction.
2) I'm not sure about "from among". Is it the right usage?
3) "designed for the encouragement of" does not look quite right either: (1) "to" suits better to present a goal (2) verb rather than noun works better in a correct option C (VAN principle)

Quote:

"be allowed" - same as in A
"between" is designed to present a choice between two alternatives while "among" - for more than two

Quote:

correct choice

Quote:

Quote:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
the difference between "to do" and "for doing" or "for+noun" trouble us many times.

this robot is designed for learning of persons
this robot is designed to learn the new things.

the first means that the robot is an instrument, which help persons learn. the second means the robot itself can learn to be better more intelligent robot.

this point is basic but few grammar books explain it

our problem is the same.

lesion designed for encouragement of something. this mean someone use the lesion to encourage something.
the lesion designed to encourage something. this means the lesion itself encourage something

a hard point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [3]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM
Kudos