Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: EMBA or PT MBA Engineer [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Well, you can get into an EMBA without leadership. That's not the issue. The bigger question is: what will you get out of it?

Meaning be aware that like 50% of EMBA students are sponsored by their company. So they know that if they do the EMBA this will give them a big boost. Is that true for you? If not in your company, one of the competitors in the same industry? Because if the answer is yes: Then an EMBA can also be an excellent choice (and if you are willing to take the time off)

Best,
JF
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmateng wrote:
Hi there

Help , Help . I am going to keep this short :

Profile:
Engineer at fortune 500 company . One of the leaders in my industry
Work ex : 11 years
Managerial exp - none , but tons of team leading experience
undergrad : Bach . of Eng international , decent university , graduated with
grad : 3.9 GPA , MS in Eng
Extra co-cir : Editor in chief magazine, 450+ hours of volunteer work for non-profit . Founder of small business ( really small) , avid painter .
GMAT : Not taken yet.

My goal is to change my career, move out of my current industry . Unfortunately FT MBA is not an option . considering EMBA or PT MBA only if I get into a good school ( top 15) . Have a few questions:

1. Which is better PT MBA or EMBA . Too old for PT program ?

2. is EMBA only for exec ? All the school website that i have looked at make it sound like EMBA is only for highly successful candidates . Do i have a chance with Columbias, MITs , Yales ...

3. I have been hearing a lot how EMBA really has not helped career changes . Any truth to this? One of the biggest thing that I hear is after graduation companies just dont consider EMBAs for campus interviews ..

thx
gmateng

EMBAs are better suited for applicants with leadership and managerial experience, but that doesn't necessarily have to mean you have X people underneath you. Your post-MBA goals are really important here so I would love to explore those further with you. It is common to try to determine what is the best approach for you and it isn't always clear cut. Send me an email to discuss further scott@personalmbacoach.com

To quickly address one of your questions, you can certainly recruit for jobs coming from an EMBA, you will just have to do more grunt work on your own. That shouldn't be a problem if you are aggressive.

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot