Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.75
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2216 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: Embrassed by my pre test results [#permalink]
I remember seeing a V18 in one of the tests I took long ago without knowing a lot about the GMAT. I hauled my V score to 40, mostly by self studying and help from this forum.

For Quant I'd highly recommend a personal tutor as your Quant score reflects that you have a low grasp on fundamentals. Working with a good teacher on a daily basis for 2 months will help you polish your basics. From there on, its all about practice and avoiding silly mistakes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
i am in the same boat...

gmat test day jan 30 2012

gmat prep today 370 (Q 18, V 22)

45 days...need 500-600.
im going to do tons of problems and read over the basics really thoroughly + SC of manhattan and do a practice test every week and simply study...after each test the questions..

good luck with your studying..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I was in the exact same boat I took the first test and scored around 350, I studied hard for about 2 months and now I am around 550-570 but still having trouble with timing in the math section. I'm looking for around a 650 score to get into the program I want so I hope another 5 weeks of studying will get me to where I want to be.

Good luck with your studying I hope you can bring up your score as well.

P.S. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to work on my math timing? is it just straight practice at this point?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
matan wrote:
I was in the exact same boat I took the first test and scored around 350, I studied hard for about 2 months and now I am around 550-570 but still having trouble with timing in the math section. I'm looking for around a 650 score to get into the program I want so I hope another 5 weeks of studying will get me to where I want to be.

Good luck with your studying I hope you can bring up your score as well.

P.S. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to work on my math timing? is it just straight practice at this point?

Straight practice is the way to go. Most GMAT math questions have a couple ways to do them. One would be using logic and shortcuts, the other is to calculate them out in a labor intensive matter.

The more problems you see, the more of the little tricks that save you time you will come across.

After I solve each problem, I look to see if the book or software had a more efficient way to think about it in the explanation. Some questions you can save a lot of time on by realizing the tricks.

The more problems you see, the more efficient you will become. So keep at it. Youve already come a long way, so keep pushing hard so you can realize your goal score of 650. 5 weeks should be sufficient if you work hard.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I scored low on the practice test as well. My final score was a 330 but I do not remember the breakdown (probably on purpose). The problems didn't seem too difficult but I didn't know how to approach them. I kept thinking about the time but I finished each section with lots of time left on the timer. Maybe I didn't take the practice test seriously because I was getting ready for a mini vacation. :) Also, I have been out of school for over six years and my math is very rusty. For example, I solved a question in the Official Guide 12th edition and the answer was correct but I carelessly forgot to reduce the fraction from 4/9 to 2/3 and the answer was wrong. On a number lines question, I didn't analyze the line because it was divided into six parts. Two of the distances were given so I should've calculated each section to be 1/6.

I plan to self study for the next two and a half months then take the exam in March. At first, I was putting in 20 hours a week but I realized the amount of time didn't matter because I wasn't applying the material. That's why I ordered the Foundations of GMAT Math published this year. I read on this board that the previous edition had mistakes in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Foundations-GMAT- ... 384&sr=1-3
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
The Kaplan GMAT Foundations are what i used. They were great refreshers and focused on teaching the math you needed to know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
I also would recommend the roadmap book... it will not provide much in terms of material (sc rules, math properties) but it is great tool for timing, approaching questions, study plans etc.

I will also recommend a course. I hope you are not in a time crunch. If so then really take the time and do the work. I still struggle with mental math (since I use excel daily and its been years since I have done a problem by hand). I downloaded basic 3rd grade math drills for fractions, multiplication, division, addition and subtraction and do one of each daily. I have become quicker and more comfortable with solving the problems.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just received the Foundations of GMAT math from Amazon. I will begin studying it tomorrow. My co-worker told me about https://www.mathgoodies.com (the feature of the week is probability). :wink: If you sign up for the newsletter then they will send you teachings about different math sections such as decimals, multiplication, etc. The site breaks down each section in a simple way and it has questions at the end.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
There has been some progress. Last week, I scored a 400 on the Manhattan test (baby steps). :) I did improve on the quantitative section. My verbal section remained the same. The Foundations of GMAT math book has been very helpful. Thanks bb. There are lots of practice questions and I am just finishing chapter four (fractions). I agree with the post by Dbalks because the book did have more efficient ways to solve the problems. Also, I have decided that if I am not prepared (understand the basics) then I won't pressure myself into taking the exam in March or before they add the new section. It's better to be well prepared because my scores are too low to set a time frame on learning the material.

Note: I plan to attend a free preparation class by Manhattan to check them out.

Here is an example of the math information provided by Math Goodies. It's very simple but you will learn it better than the GMAT preparation books.

https://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol3/lcm.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
I want to thank everyone for your replies and giving me some hope that I can still score high on the GMAT exam. I am currently in the middle of going through Fundamentals of GMAT Math book by Manhattan GMAT. I have not scheduled my GMAT exam yet.
I am not sure if I should schedule the exam until I can score much higher on the pre-test or go ahead and schedule it and bite the bullet and schedule it now?

Also since I am already going through Fundamentals of Math book. When do I fit in the GMAT roadmap book do I use it in conjunction with or after finishing the Math book??

Originally posted by MBASEEKER1 on 13 Jan 2012, 17:31.
Last edited by MBASEEKER1 on 13 Jan 2012, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
I would recommend that you take another practice test to see how you're doing. There is absolutely no reason to schedule your test until you believe you are capable of the score you need (or atleast close to it). You're not going to miraculously score 200 points higher, the test is very good at being able to know what score you deserve. Maybe on any given day you could get + or - 20 or 30 points, but not much more.

Plus, taking practice tests will help you with your score, timing, and knowledge. Most people take many practice tests before they take the real thing. This test isn't only knowledge, but stamina, timing, and correct preparation. So pretend your practice tests are the real thing, and keep your nose in the books. Are you studying any other material? It seems that you should be covering all the topics on the test to help boost your overall score.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
GMATLA

Thanks for the advice. The path I decided to take is covering the math section first then move into the verbal. Then take a month and cover weak areas in both sections. What is a good resource to cover the verbal sections?

THANKS SO MUCH!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Hello MBA Seeker,

I'm adopting a similar strategy: one month math, one month verbal, and one month weaknesses. I'm currently on the math section and haven't looked at the verbal section but have had some recommendations made to me. Most of them agree that the MGMAT SC guide is really good, so I would suggest checking that out. Apparently the MGMAT CR and RC aren't great and I was recommended both PowerScore GMAT CR Bible and RC 99 instead. I'm sure someone will chime in with more experience and guidance.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: McCombs '15
GMAT Date: 05-19-2012
GPA: 3.72
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
First post...I just took my first pretest (cold) last night and scored a 26 Verbal and 36 Math for a 520 total. Is this below average? I am signed up for a May 19th test. Is it unreasonable to expect over a 650 with that much time to prep? Also, anyone have any experience with Knewton online courses?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I am also in the same boat as you, I scored a 390 on the GMAT (Math 11, Verbal 28) and I am looking to score 700 or better and bounce back.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Intekid wrote:
First post...I just took my first pretest (cold) last night and scored a 26 Verbal and 36 Math for a 520 total. Is this below average? I am signed up for a May 19th test. Is it unreasonable to expect over a 650 with that much time to prep? Also, anyone have any experience with Knewton online courses?

I don't think two months is unreasonable, but it may be tight. The key will be perseverance and smart studying. The sooner you can identify your weakest areas/areas that have the most room for improvement, the sooner you will be able to focus on those and improve them.
GMAT Club Bot