GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Emory GMAT Prep Course

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Emory GMAT Prep Course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 07:01
Hello,

I am new to this forum, so I am hoping this question is in the right part of the forum. Does anyone know anything about the Emory GMAT Prep course or has taken it? I can't post the link but if you google "Emory GMAT Prep classes in Atlanta Georgia - Continuing Education" it should be the first link.

Background: I am heading into my last semester of Industrial Engineering undergrad at Georgia Tech this Fall. I self-studied last summer, took the test in Aug 2017 and got 600 (V: 31, Q: 42, AW: 4, IR: 7) my first time and was not too happy with the score, especially with Quant. I want to re-take the GMAT sometime before Sept 10.
Disclosure: I am not looking to go to business school immediately. I am merely taking it to get a better chance to landing an interview with consulting firms.

Should I re-take the test? Do I have enough time? Should I spend $650 on the Emory course or should I just stick to Math Revolution (which I already signed up for)?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
Math Revolution Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Emory GMAT Prep Course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 11:08
Hi vnguyen74,

Are you talking about this course:

http://ece.emory.edu/catalogDetail.php? ... gJVe_D_BwE

It seems that it is an in-class course. There are no reviews on this forum of Emory prep course. You can see the reviews here, but they are online courses:

https://gmatclub.com/reviews/gmat_courses/?fl=menu

I you gonna take the test soon? I think your score is pretty good, and you get 700+ yourself. This forum has pretty much everything for a succesful preparation. You can start here:

The Definitive GMAT Study Plan

Hope this helps!

Non progredi est regredi

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 13:20
Hi vnguyen74,

With a September 10th Test Date, you have about 8 weeks of potential study time. It's not clear what your Score Goal is though, so it's tough to say whether you might achieve that Goal in this timeframe or not. In addition, the GMAT has gone through some changes since you last took it (the Quant and Verbal sections are now shorter - fewer questions and less time), so you will have to train to properly deal with the new 'feel' of the Exam.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What type of studying have you done since last August?
2) What study materials have you used so far (including before you took the GMAT last time)?
3) Have you taken any practice CATS in the current, shorter format - and if you have, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
4) What is your goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 06:40
Hello,

Thank you for replying!

1) Unfortunately, I have not done much studying since last August. School and work have kept me pretty booked.
2) I used the Official Guide. Last summer, I also used GMAT Club's CATs.
3) I have not taken a practice CAT for the new GMAT format. I plan on doing it this Friday, so I can get a better idea of whether I should re-take it the test with the short time frame that I have.
4) My goal is so score 700+, especially with a huge emphasis on Quant 48+ (ideally 51+ but that's extremely rare...)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 19:05
Hi vnguyen74,

For this next practice CAT, you will want to make sure that you take a CAT that you have NOT taken before - so that we can get a clear sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses. For example, the two free CATs that are available from mba.com have the same general 'pool' of questions as they did before, so if you took those two Exams before - and then retake them now - you will almost certainly see some 'repeat' questions. Unfortunately, seeing even a few 'repeat' questions during a CAT can completely throw off the CAT-taking experience (meaning that your pacing, fatigue, stress, attitude, etc. will all be significantly impacted) and score results in those situations are almost always significantly 'inflated.'

Once you have that CAT result, you should post back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Emory GMAT Prep Course &nbs [#permalink] 18 Jul 2018, 19:05

Emory GMAT Prep Course

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap