GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 09:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Emory ($) vs Stern (Parttime/ Evening MBA)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 1
Premium Member
Emory ($) vs Stern (Parttime/ Evening MBA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 12:09
Hello Everyone,

I need to choose between Goizueta Evening (Part time) MBA and Stern Part time MBA. Without considering the following stern is definitely the winner. Kindly go through the following and let me know what you think

Current industry - Tech. I am an analytics professional
Post MBA - Tech consulting or Product management or Senior roles in Analytics/ Marketing analytics. More inclined towards product management. I will stay in tech industry only.
Post MBA location- I could stay in US for 2 more years and will then go back to India. So I also need to consider brand image in India. Going to India is certain.
Tuition Fee - With the $10,000 scholarship, Goizueta fee is $63,600. Stern tuition fee is $129,480. The difference is $65,880
Cost of living/ Quality of living - I think Atlanta beats New York and New Jersey hands down. Weather also favors Atlanta.
Current tech employment situation - Don't need to talk about New York. New York and surrounding areas have plenty of job opportunities in tech. Atlanta is a loser compared to New York, but is not bad either because it also has lots of companies, including big ones like Delta, Coca Cola etc., which fill tech positions. So If I loose my job, I can find one in both comfortably
School Tech reputation- From my research both schools are great for Consulting and Marketing. Stern is also strong in Finance. Both don't place many individuals in tech functions (low percentages). But I will have 9 years in tech by the time I graduate. So don't need additional cushion from schools. I am going to hone leadership, build network and learn marketing knowledge during MBA. These skills with my tech background will help me achieve my POST MBA career goals
Community- Since I am from India, I would like to have some Indian presence to stay connected to my roots. Both places are great in that regards. Both are cosmopolitan cities
Spouse Job Opportunities- She is pursuing Oncology and will graduate in 2019. Seems like it is much easier for her to find a job in New York- New Jersey than in Atlanta. Because everyone tries to go to Atlanta because of the quality of life it offers.
Spouse preference- She prefers Atlanta over New York- New jersey any day
Friends/ Family- Mane friends in and around New York. Fewer friends in Atlanta. But since Atlanta is culturally very friendly, I am not giving it a lot of importance.
Current Debt- $0. Money is not a problem. My spouse will earn big starting July next year. I earn decently too
Personal Choice- Everything favors Goizueta/ Atlanta except brand. Stern is like a dream for me. Will be a big achievement considering what/who I have always been since schooling. Also, I know Stern is well know in India. Not sure about Goizueta. But Goizueta is less of a financial burden and offers better life
My current location- I live in philly. But moving is not a problem. My spouse agreed for 1 year long distance if I am going to emory

I understand this is a long post. Sorry. Some of the info could be irrelevant to you, but included everything possible because I have seen responders of other posts ask similar questions

By considering the above factors, what do you suggest? Kindly let me know

Is Stern worth $65,880, which I save by attending Goizueta?

Thank You,
DJ
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Emory ($) vs Stern (Parttime/ Evening MBA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 02:13
Hey Caesar_1987 ,

Congratulations on the two great admits.

When I looked at the Subject of this email, I thought I would recommend Stern but your analysis made me change my decision. Great research out there! :thumbup:

Now, since your aim is to ultimately return to India, I would prefer to remain as much as debt free as I can.

Your goals are also inline with what Emory is best at. So, my vote goes for Emory.

All the best :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

New --> How ApplicantLab made me reach my 10 years long MBA dream?

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 03:53
Bump
SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 05:24
Hi,

Here, there is 2 questions that I might add:

1- In general, How are both schools reputation in India? Have your great research lead you to any conclusion? LinkedIN...etc? If you did, how do you see there profiles and companies they work for?

2- Have you considered how both career service would help Part-time mba? Not all schools provide service to part time or evening mba students. I know that Emory has real and power career service and does it best. But, Is this reflected in part-time MBA? I do not know actually.

I think those question could help you get the full picture.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 16:43
abhimahna wrote:
Hey Caesar_1987 ,

Congratulations on the two great admits.

When I looked at the Subject of this email, I thought I would recommend Stern but your analysis made me change my decision. Great research out there! :thumbup:

Now, since your aim is to ultimately return to India, I would prefer to remain as much as debt free as I can.

Your goals are also inline with what Emory is best at. So, my vote goes for Emory.

Thanks Abhimahna. I have follow up questions. Kindly answer.

1) do you know how Goizueta is perceived in india? Is it a global brand like Stern? I have a hard time finding out.

2) The fee difference is $65k. The cost of living accounts for $20K difference. If stern worth paying $85k more for its MBA than Goizueta MBA. Ignore I will go back to india for a moment.

Thanks
DJ
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 17:02
Mo2men wrote:
Hi,

1- In general, How are both schools reputation in India? Have your great research lead you to any conclusion? LinkedIN...etc? If you did, how do you see there profiles and companies they work for?

2- Have you considered how both career service would help Part-time mba? Not all schools provide service to part time or evening mba students. I know that Emory has real and power career service and does it best. But, Is this reflected in part-time MBA? I do not know actually.

Thanks Mo2men

1- I am trying to find that out.I already have 6+ yrs experience. By the time I go back to India, I will have 11+ years exp. in USA. Considering this, brand of MBA should not matter a great deal. but I am with you. Having a brand on my resume will always raise eyebrows. Stern is better in that regard. Not sure about Goizueta, and hence I am trying to find out.

2- Career services at Emory for evening MBA is same as for Full-Time. I was told students go through the same rigor, obviously without internship. Stern is a little different in that regard. Its career service for part-time is not the same as for full time in terms of preparing part time students. However, it offers interview opportunities at the end. Very few individuals try to change careers at the end of evening/ part-time mba. Those doing so, continue in the same industry. I fall in the this category. My goal is to get into product management or tech consulting or marketing analytics, in that order. Sorry my goals are a little vague at this time.

Thanks
DJ
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 00:48
Caesar_1987 wrote:
Thanks Abhimahna. I have follow up questions. Kindly answer.

1) do you know how Goizueta is perceived in india? Is it a global brand like Stern? I have a hard time finding out.

2) The fee difference is $65k. The cost of living accounts for $20K difference. If stern worth paying $85k more for its MBA than Goizueta MBA. Ignore I will go back to india for a moment.

Thanks
DJ

Hey Caesar_1987 ,

Thank you for your questions.

Here are the answers:

1. Obviously Stern would be recognized more but what matters after a couple of years is the quality of work exp you have. School name won't impact much. I have seen many people from Emory who are in India and are at very high leader positions. When I talked to them, I got the same response. But yes, companies in India do know and value Emory graduates.

2. I will remain same with my this answer. I wouldn't spend those 85k extra for stern. Considering your goals in mind, I would pick Emory.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

New --> How ApplicantLab made me reach my 10 years long MBA dream?

SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 04:33
Caesar_1987 wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
Hi,

Thanks Mo2men

1- I am trying to find that out.I already have 6+ yrs experience. By the time I go back to India, I will have 11+ years exp. in USA. Considering this, brand of MBA should not matter a great deal. but I am with you. Having a brand on my resume will always raise eyebrows. Stern is better in that regard. Not sure about Goizueta, and hence I am trying to find out.

2- Career services at Emory for evening MBA is same as for Full-Time. I was told students go through the same rigor, obviously without internship. Stern is a little different in that regard. Its career service for part-time is not the same as for full time in terms of preparing part time students. However, it offers interview opportunities at the end. Very few individuals try to change careers at the end of evening/ part-time mba. Those doing so, continue in the same industry. I fall in the this category. My goal is to get into product management or tech consulting or marketing analytics, in that order. Sorry my goals are a little vague at this time.

Thanks
DJ

In light of you replys above, I totally agree with abhimahna analysis. He seems knowledgeable about Emory in India too :thumbup: . It does not worth spending too much money while you will get same service with cheaper money. I believe international student must comprise between quality and cost. Emory fits here very much.

Good luck
Re: Emory ($) vs Stern (Parttime/ Evening MBA)   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2018, 04:33

Emory ($) vs Stern (Parttime/ Evening MBA)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap