It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 04:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Employment Post INSEAD, consulting in country w/o language skills?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 36

GPA: 3.5
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Employment Post INSEAD, consulting in country w/o language skills? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 11:52
The long version of my question is such: If I go to INSEAD as an American with mainly fluency in English but practical knowledge of a second language (Spanish) and while there study a third to basic understanding (say Arabic), will I then be competitive for consulting and other corporate positions outside of UK and Spain? Would I be competitive for any post-MBA level career positions in France, Sweden, Denmark, Asia, Africa, ect. where I have no knowledge of the local language?

Does McKinsey's office in Paris and Prague have a large number of employees that don't speak French or Czech?

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 36

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 621

GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Employment Post INSEAD, consulting in country w/o language skills? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 13:31
bump
great topic!

I dont know much about that, but I think that you can employ in Middle East, Asia, Africa as american without knowledge of local language. However I think you will be limited to consulting projects in which every paper (dopcument) is kept in both local and English language (applicable for international companies).

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 621

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V43
GPA: 3.45
Re: Employment Post INSEAD, consulting in country w/o language skills? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2015, 00:08
Great topic! bumping the post.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 11:36
great question, I would love to learn some insights this as well. I understand english will be the language most place use for business, but I fear outside of work if you lack the knowledge of the local language, you won't fit in well...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 11:26
Hey

Well for consulting roles.. the hiring is very office specific.. so outside UK and Spain . they usually do require local language / experience in way of work, time spent studying - something that convinces them that you can be put in front of the local clients..

For Asia and Africa I must admit the number of high quality local candidates is high and hence the chances for other non locals is low ( very very competitive..)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 17:30
I see, that is interesting, so how come Spain is on the same page with UK? You do not need to speak Spanish? Do you have any insight on the Nordic countries?

Intern
Intern

WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2015, 06:20
I just assumed you hav some spanish experience.. otherwise similar like others i feel..

I know a few who got into Consulting roles in Nordic and all of them had some experience in region / were from the country of hire..

zero722 wrote:
I see, that is interesting, so how come Spain is on the same page with UK? You do not need to speak Spanish? Do you have any insight on the Nordic countries?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2015, 04:06
themange wrote:
The long version of my question is such: If I go to INSEAD as an American with mainly fluency in English but practical knowledge of a second language (Spanish) and while there study a third to basic understanding (say Arabic), will I then be competitive for consulting and other corporate positions outside of UK and Spain? Would I be competitive for any post-MBA level career positions in France, Sweden, Denmark, Asia, Africa, ect. where I have no knowledge of the local language?

Does McKinsey's office in Paris and Prague have a large number of employees that don't speak French or Czech?

Thanks.

IMO such an average person wouldn't be able to compete with native speakers that know the market, have connections, etc.

Fugazi, fugazi

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
Employment Post INSEAD, consulting in country w/o language skills? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2015, 04:22
I am personally not looking into consulting atm. but can offer a few insights (being Czech) and have previously done some research into consulting in the Nordic countries.

In the Czech Republic it would be difficult to get the position without knowledge of Czech for the reasons stated above (most documents and discussions with the client done in Czech - although they do sometimes bring in experts from other countries, so there must be some communication in other languages, but I believe this is only when the said expert has expertise in a niche not known to anyone here - which inexperienced hire probably will not have).

However I know for a fact that Bain Scandinavia (Stockholm) specifically says that not knowing Scandinavian language is not a disadvantage when applying (given a candidate is fluent in English)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Employment Post INSEAD, consulting in country w/o language skills?   [#permalink] 21 May 2015, 04:22