GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2018, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 02:34
Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven unsuccessful in the town of Ardane. In many nearby towns, speed humps (raised areas of pavement placed across residential streets, about 300 feet apart) have reduced traffic speeds on residential streets by 20 to 25 percent. In order to reduce traffic speed and thereby enhance safety in residential neighborhoods, Ardane's transportation commission plans to install multiple speed humps in those neighborhoods.

Which of the following, if true, identifies a potentially serious drawback to the plan for installing speed humps in Ardane?

Boil it down - In order to reduce traffic speed and thereby enhance safety in residential neighborhoods, Ardane's transportation commission plans to install multiple speed humps in those neighborhoods.

C'-- In order to reduce traffic speed/bring traffic speed within the speed limit and thereby enhance safety in residential neighborhoods, Ardane's transportation commission plans to install multiple speed humps in those neighborhoods.
If the conclusion was C' as specified above, will A be valid weakener ? -- Since even with speed humps, the traffic speed will not be within the speed limits .

A. On residential streets without speed humps, many vehicles travel at speeds more than 25 percent above the posted speed limit.

B. Because of their high weight, emergency vehicles such as fire trucks and ambulances must slow almost to a stop at speed humps. -- Correct

mcelroytutoring , AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , sayantanc2k, RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , ChiranjeevSingh, GMATGuruNY , KarishmaB , other experts-- please enlighten

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Magoosh Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Premium Member
Re: Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 02:52
Top Contributor
Skywalker18 wrote:
Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven unsuccessful in the town of Ardane. In many nearby towns, speed humps (raised areas of pavement placed across residential streets, about 300 feet apart) have reduced traffic speeds on residential streets by 20 to 25 percent. In order to reduce traffic speed and thereby enhance safety in residential neighborhoods, Ardane's transportation commission plans to install multiple speed humps in those neighborhoods.

Which of the following, if true, identifies a potentially serious drawback to the plan for installing speed humps in Ardane?

Boil it down - In order to reduce traffic speed and thereby enhance safety in residential neighborhoods, Ardane's transportation commission plans to install multiple speed humps in those neighborhoods.

C'-- In order to reduce traffic speed/bring traffic speed within the speed limit and thereby enhance safety in residential neighborhoods, Ardane's transportation commission plans to install multiple speed humps in those neighborhoods.
If the conclusion was C' as specified above, will A be valid weakener ? -- Since even with speed humps, the traffic speed will not be within the speed limits .

A. On residential streets without speed humps, many vehicles travel at speeds more than 25 percent above the posted speed limit.

B. Because of their high weight, emergency vehicles such as fire trucks and ambulances must slow almost to a stop at speed humps. -- Correct

No. Even with your conclusion, option A will not be weakener. For the following reason:

Let x be the speed limit. If many vehicles drive at 1.25x and we bring down their speed by 20-25%, their new speed will be 0.94x to 1.0x. Thus, their new speed will be within the speed limit.

- Chiranjeev

My articles:
My experience with GMAT (Score 780) and My analysis of my ESR
Three pillars of a successful GMAT strategy
Critical Reasoning and The Life of a GMAT Student
The 'Although' Misconception
Dear GMAT Aspirant, You need not swim against the tide

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 08:09
generis nightblade354 KarishmaB pikolo2510 GMATNinja GMATninja2

I wonder as to why so many students including me faltered at (C) and if same could be avoided by
more precise reading.

Start with Q:

Quote:

Plan: installing speed bumps in A -> reduction in traffic speed -> enhancement of safety in residential neighbourhoods of A

I need to prove that in spite of installing speed bumps in A, there might be a decrease in safety index in residential neighbourhoods of A

Let us see the author's reasoning as to why he thinks that installing speed bumps in A shall lead to better safety index in residential neighbourhoods of A

Quote:
Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven unsuccessful in the town of Ardane. In many nearby towns, speed humps (raised areas of pavement placed across residential streets, about 300 feet apart) have reduced traffic speeds on residential streets by 20 to 25 percent. In order to reduce traffic speed and thereby enhance safety in residential neighbourhoods, Ardane's transportation commission plans to install multiple speed humps in those neighbourhoods.

The brute force of limiting vehicle speed to fixed value has been unsuccessful in the town of Ardane.
E.g. a car can only drive to a maximum speed limit of 40 mph so very less chance of accidents.

In nearby towns to A, speed humps (def as provided) have reduced traffic speed by almost a quarter.

So in A too, if we install speed humps then traffic speed will be limited, increasing safety by causing reduction in traffic

Quote:

I am interested in what happens after installing speed humps. DO NOT CHALLENGE PREMISE in an argument.
Premise is: speed humps are installed.
To doubt: plan of more safe neighbourhood and less traffic will be successful. OUT

Quote:
B. Because of their high weight, emergency vehicles such as fire trucks and ambulances must slow almost to a stop at speed humps.

How do I link emergency vehicles with the aspect of safety in an argument?

Quote:
C. The residential speed limit in Ardane is higher than that (residential speed limit) of the nearby towns where speed humps were installed.

Is this an opposite answer? If residential speed limit in Ardane is higher then after installing speed humps, the speed of
vehicle will decrease. Wait .. what am I supposed to do in this Q?
I am supposed to DOUBT that after installing speed humps safety will decrease, NOT INCREASE as
this choice does.

Quote:
D. Motorists who are not familiar with the streets in Ardane's residential districts would be likely to encounter the speed humps unawares unless warned by signs and painted indicators.

Quote:
E. Bicyclists generally prefer that speed humps be constructed so as to leave a space on the side of the road where bicycles can travel without going over the humps.

I rejected (D) and (E) since they cater to very small sub-section of all people mentioned in argument.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven &nbs [#permalink] 09 Aug 2018, 08:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Enforcement of local speed limits through police monitoring has proven

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap