GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Environmentalist:When bacteria degrade household cleaning products, va

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Environmentalist:When bacteria degrade household cleaning products, va  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 12:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:57) correct 50% (02:19) wrong based on 142 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Environmentalist:When bacteria degrade household cleaning products, vapors that are toxic to humans are produced. Unfortunately, household cleaning products are often found in landfills. Thus, the common practice of converting landfills into public parks is damaging human health.

Which one of the following is an assumption the environmentalist’s argument requires?

(A) In at least some landfills that have been converted into public parks there are bacteria that degrade household cleaning products.
(B) Converting a landfill into a public park will cause no damage to human health unless toxic vapors are produced in that landfill and humans are exposed to them.
(C) If a practice involves the exposure of humans to vapors from household cleaning products, then it causes at least some damage to human health.
(D) When landfills are converted to public parks, measures could be taken that would prevent people using the parks from being exposed to toxic vapors.
(E) If vapors toxic to humans are produced by the degradation of household cleaning products by bacteria in any landfill, then the health of at least some humans will suffer.

P
Premium Member
Environmentalist:When bacteria degrade household cleaning products, va  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 18:19
Akela wrote:
Environmentalist:When bacteria degrade household cleaning products, vapors that are toxic to humans are produced. Unfortunately, household cleaning products are often found in landfills. Thus, the common practice of converting landfills into public parks is damaging human health.

Which one of the following is an assumption the environmentalist’s argument requires?

I feel it is a fairly straight forward one.

Pre-thinking: The author basically assumed that even after the converting landfills into public parks, there will be bacteria which will degrade the household cleaning products.

Quote:
(A) In at least some landfills that have been converted into public parks there are bacteria that degrade household cleaning products. - Looks fine. And the wording is careful too. "at least some" and the fact that "landfills have been converted into parks". Keep A.
(B) Converting a landfill into a public park will cause no damage to human health unless toxic vapors are produced in that landfill and humans are exposed to them. - It is a bit extreme. But more importantly, We don't know what other factors will cause the damage. So the mention of "unless toxic vapors" is not accurate as per the passage.
(C) If a practice involves the exposure of humans to vapors from household cleaning products, then it causes at least some damage to human health. - The author has already told us that it will cause damage to human health. So we don't need that assumption.
(D) When landfills are converted to public parks, measures could be taken that would prevent people using the parks from being exposed to toxic vapors. - Well then what is the point of the argument?
(E) If vapors toxic to humans are produced by the degradation of household cleaning products by bacteria in any landfill, then the health of at least some humans will suffer. - Again, we already know it is damaging to human health. Restating it in different forms won't help us in any way.

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Environmentalist:When bacteria degrade household cleaning products, va  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 21:59
I did not get this question. Can someone explain in bit more detail why A is the right answer? I really thought that bacteria, by default, are present "everywhere". Is that an "assumption" here?
Director
Director
P
Premium Member
Re: Environmentalist:When bacteria degrade household cleaning products, va  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 22:18
Ruchirkalra wrote:
I did not get this question. Can someone explain in bit more detail why A is the right answer? I really thought that bacteria, by default, are present "everywhere". Is that an "assumption" here?

Ruchirkalra
Hello,
It is true that bacteria are present every where by default. But it depends on the context too. The option A does not state just the bacteria. It is about the overall sentence "presence of bacteria in the landfills that have been converted into parks".

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 10:25
I narrowed it down to A or E and picked the wrong one in the end. Both mention that bacteria is present in landfills for the process of degradation.

For those of who are wondering how to eliminate E, the word "any landfill" is extreme and therefore should be eliminated.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 23:54
TheNightKing wrote:
Ruchirkalra wrote:

Hello,
It is true that bacteria are present every where by default. But it depends on the context too. The option A does not state just the bacteria. It is about the overall sentence "presence of bacteria in the landfills that have been converted into parks".

Thanks for the clarification. Overall, found this question tough.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 04:43
i took 4 minutes to solve this question.. maybe this is an easy question for some.. but not for me.

we have to use the Assumption Negation technique and a bit of prethinking for this one
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 05:15
Akela wrote:

(A) In at least some landfills that have been converted into public parks there are bacteria that degrade household cleaning products.
(B) Converting a landfill into a public park will cause no damage to human health unless toxic vapors are produced in that landfill and humans are exposed to them.
(C) If a practice involves the exposure of humans to vapors from household cleaning products, then it causes at least some damage to human health.
(D) When landfills are converted to public parks, measures could be taken that would prevent people using the parks from being exposed to toxic vapors.
(E) If vapors toxic to humans are produced by the degradation of household cleaning products by bacteria in any landfill, then the health of at least some humans will suffer.

The common practice of converting landfills into public parks is damaging human health- FOR this conclusion to be true what else needed to be true.
Start with E- If vapour toxic to humans are produced........We are interested in landfills which are getting converted into public park. Here no mention of public park makes this choice irrelevant.
D-What do we do with measures? This choice has no bearing on the conclusion since truthfulness of this choice does not have any relevance to the conclusion.
C-Again no mention of public park.
B-we are interested in the case where practice is damaging to human health.
A- You can get this choice either with POE or negation.
A:)
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 22:55
I did not understand the explanation. This is what I have understood from the argument:

Bacteria degrades products --> release toxic vapours. Products found in landfills --> Landfills are converted into parks --> Parks damage human health.

1. Household dispose degraded products, not products they are using.
2. If landfills are converted into parks already, households would choose landfills not parks to dispose products.

Then, the toxic vapours in parks must be due to the presence of already degraded products, not the bacteria.

Quote:

Negate this answer choice, no landfills that have been converted into public parks have bacteria that degrade household cleaning products.

Parks might contain already degraded products which is damaging human health. So, even without any presence of bacteria in the landfill-converted parks, these parks are damaging human health.

If Assumption Negation Technique (ANT) fails to collapse the conclusion, then it is not the right assumption.

Can somebody explain where did I go wrong ?

daagh sir
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Environmentalist:When bacteria degrade household cleaning products, va   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2019, 22:55

Environmentalist:When bacteria degrade household cleaning products, va

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics