GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 19:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 23:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:07) correct 29% (01:22) wrong based on 369 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 141 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a rival of the author, was revered for describing the sense of aimlessness felt by members of the Lost Generation.

A) whom was known to be a rival of the author, was revered for describing

B) who was known to be a rival of the author, was revered to describe

C) whom was known to be a rival of the author, had been revered for his ability to describe

D) who was known for being a rival of the author, was revered for describing

E) whom was known to be a rival of the author, were revered for describing

There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle. -- Einstein
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Senior SC Moderator
V
Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 23:38
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Hi all, I have to post early tonight.
I will hide the answer under the spoiler, which I will remove tomorrow (my tomorrow).

Quote:
Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a rival of the author, was revered for describing the sense of aimlessness felt by members of the Lost Generation.

C) whom was known to be a rival of the author, had been revered for his ability to describe

HIGHLIGHTS

• Meaning?
Ernest Hemingway and his writer friends were revered (admired by others) because they wrote about the sense of aimlessness felt by members of the Lost Generation. One of Hemingway's contemporaries was his rival (probably Faulkner or Fitzgerald).

• Structure?
This sentence is slightly deceptive because the compound subject Hemingway and his contemporaries is followed by "one of whom."
A dependent clause such as one of whom... that comes between a subject and verb does not affect the subject's singularity or plurality.
-- one of whom is a dependent clause (it cannot stand on its own as a sentence)
-- one of whom is not an essential modifier (one way to tell? the whole clause is set off by commas).
-- strip the sentence

Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a rival of the author, was [?] revered for describing the sense of aimlessness felt by members of the Lost Generation.

The sentence, stripped:
Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries [was?] revered for describing the Lost Generation.

• Split #1: Subject verb agreement

The compound subject Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries is not altered in number by the clause "one of whom."

The plural subject requires the plural verb were [revered].

Eliminate A, B, and D, all of which use the singular verb WAS.

• Split #2: pronoun / antecedent disagreement

Option C uses his ability. That pronoun should be THEIR in order to agree with the compound subject.
Eliminate C

By POE, Answer E is correct

OTHER ISSUES

• WHO/WHOM

Prepositions take objects.
In "one of," the word OF is a preposition. It needs an object. So we use the object pronoun, whom.

A mnemonic to remember WHO v WHOM.
If you see a preposition, use an easy preposition and a singular male person.
Give the present TO ____ HE/HIM?
Give the present TO hiM.
Him ends in M. So does whoM. Use whoM.

Object pronouns: me, you, her, him, it, us, them, whom
Subject pronouns: I, you, he, she, it, we, they, who

Options B and D incorrectly use one of WHO

• TO DESCRIBE / FOR DESCRIBING
This issue is idiomatic.

A person is appreciated (revered) by others FOR describing something well.
A person is not revered by others TO describe something well.
A person might herself be excited TO describe something well . . but she would not herself be revered by others TO describe something. (That sentence is so incoherent that I can barely write it. :dazed )

Options B and C are incorrect.

• had been in option C?
HAD + past participle = past perfect, aka the past of the past
To use past perfect (to express the past of the PAST), we first need a past.
We must have at least one event rendered in simole past tense or a time marker that does the same thing as a past tense verb -- namely, that marks of a discrete (non-continuous) point in time in the past.

Option C has neither a simple past tense verb not a time marker. No reason exists to use past perfect.

COMMENTS

Arvind42 , Annet1524 , Xylan (pistachios, and the quote is indeed beautiful :) ) , J2S2019 , exc4libur , and amitanshumaity , I thought I'd name you all so that you would peek under the spoiler and see: I appreciate your consistent and consistently good replies.

I know. This one was fairly simple. Basics are important.
Happy kudos!
General Discussion
Director
Director
G
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 23:53
generis wrote:

Subject - Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, so plural verb required.
Who Vs Whom in the modifier " one of whom was known to be a rival of the author" - In the modifier author takes the role of the subject (Passive construction) so whom needs to be used to refer to the object.

A) whom was known to be a rival of the author, was revered for describing - Requires "were" revered

B) who was known to be a rival of the author, was revered to describe - requires "Whom" and "were" + "To describe" changes the meaning

C) whom was known to be a rival of the author, had been revered for his ability to describe - Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries were revered for their description and not the ability to + No past for using past perfect

D) who was known for being a rival of the author, was revered for describing - requires "Whom" and "were"

E) whom was known to be a rival of the author, were revered for describing - Correct
G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 02:40
1st split - to describe/for describing - according to meaning of the sentense B, C, - out
2nd split - was revered/ were revered - should be plural because we have subject: Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries - A,B,D -out
3d split - who/whom - should be whom one of whom
So, the answer is E
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 04:07
generis wrote:

Sentence Structure
Subject - Verb:
    Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries
        , one of whom( Ernest Hemingway's contemporaries ) was known to be a rival of the author,
      were revered for describing the sense of aimlessness felt by members of the Lost Generation.

Issues:
    The subject Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries is plural. Thus, the verb MUST be plural.
    A, B and D SV Disagreement

Answer choice analysis:
      SV Disagreement

SV Disagreement

The Past-perfect tense does NOT make sense with the CORRECT intent of the sentence.
      The Timelines does NOT mandate the past-perfect usage. Unsolicited time-shift.

His is incorrectly mapped to ONLY Ernest Hemingway.
      The usage MUST be their to map to Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries

SV Disagreement

Nice and easy. E is the winner.

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 04:38
IMO correct answer is E

A) whom was known to be a rival of the author, was revered for describing - "Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries" - Plural subject requires plural verb - use of "was" is incorrect.

B) who was known to be a rival of the author, was revered to describe - SVA error;same as A; also use of whom is correct as Objective pronoun is required to show the correct intent of the sentence, receiving the action.

C) whom was known to be a rival of the author, had been revered for his ability to describe - Use of Past perfect tense is not required as not two past events are shown time-shifted here.

D) who was known for being a rival of the author, was revered for describing - SVA error;same as A; also use of whom is correct as Objective pronoun is required to show the correct intent of the sentence, receiving the action.

E) whom was known to be a rival of the author, were revered for describing - Correct
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 05:56
generis wrote:

Meaning: "Earnest and his friends [plural], one of whom [object]… , were [plural] revered for describing…"
Idiom: Known TO BE or Known AS (for a nickname or a rename)

A) "was" should be "were" [plural], out;
B) "who" we need "whom" as we are referring to an object, also "was" should be "were", and "to describe" imps they were revered with the intent to describe, nonsense out;
C) "had been" imps they had been revered in the past before another event in the past, and are not revered anymore, nonsense; also, "revered for his ability" distorts the original meaning, out;
D) "who… known for…, was" we need an object pronoun "whom", plural "were", and "known for" is unidiomatic, out;

Answer (E).
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 18:11

Structure: X and Y, (Relative Pronoun Modifier) Verb object, verb( S-v agreement error) object.

So, the fatal error here is the S-V agreement. Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries do not agree in number with 'was revered '.
The modifier is used correctly and the rest of the sentence looks fine.
The choice which corrects this error is E

IMHO E
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 21:20
I have posted the official explanation early, HERE, under a spoiler. People may still post for kudos until Tuesday 23rd of July 2019 11:36:52 PM Pacific Time Zone . I will remove the spoiler tomorrow. Or a mod could do so after the time noted in this post. :grin:
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 22:34
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Hi all, I have to post early tonight.
I will hide the answer under the spoiler, which I will remove tomorrow (my tomorrow).
I will also award kudos tomorrow to those who post with explanations before 11:36:30 PM Pacific Time Zone.

Quote:

HIGHLIGHTS

• Meaning?
Ernest Hemingway and his writer friends were revered because they wrote about the sense of aimlessness felt by members of the Lost Generation. One of Hemingway's contemporaries was his rival (probably Faulkner or Fitzgerald).

• Structure?
This sentence is slightly deceptive because the compound subject Hemingway and his contemporaries is followed by "one of whom."
-- one of whom is not an essential modifier (one way to tell? the whole clause is set off by commas).
-- strip the sentence

Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a rival of the author, was [?] revered for describing the sense of aimlessness felt by members of the Lost Generation.

The sentence, stripped:
Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries [was?] revered for describing the Lost Generation.

• Split #1: Subject verb agreement

The compound subject Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries is not altered in number by the clause "one of whom."

Plural subject requires plural verb were revered.

Eliminate A, B, and D, all of which use singular WAS.

• Split #2: pronoun / antecedent disagreement

Option C uses his ability. That pronoun should be THEIR in order to agree with the compound subject.
Eliminate C

By POE, Answer E is correct

OTHER ISSUES

• WHO/WHOM

Prepositions take objects.
In "one of," the word OF is a preposition. It needs an object. So we use the object pronoun, whom.

A mnemonic to remember WHO v WHOM.
If you see a preposition, use an easy preposition and a singular male person.
Give the present TO ____ HE/HIM?
Give the present TO hiM.
Him ends in M. So does whoM. Use whoM.

Object pronouns: me, you, her, him, it, us, them, whom
Subject pronouns: I, you, he, she, it, we, they, who

Options B and D incorrectly use one of WHO

• TO DESCRIBE / FOR DESCRIBING
This issue is idiomatic.

A person is appreciated (revered) FOR describing something well.
A person is not revered TO describe something well.
A person might be excited TO describe something well . . but not revered to describe something.
Options B and C are incorrect.

• had been in option C?
HAD + past participle = past perfect, aka the past of the past
To use past perfect (to express the past of the PAST), we first need a past.
We must have at least one event rendered in past tense, or a time marker that does the same thing.

Option C has neither. No reason exists to use past perfect.

COMMENTS

Arvind42 , Annet1524 , Xylan (pistachios, and the quote is indeed beautiful :) ) , J2S2019 , exc4libur , and amitanshumaity , I thought I'd name you all so that you will peek under the spoiler and see: I appreciate your consistent and consistently good replies.

I know. This one was fairly simple. Basics are important.
Happy kudos!

generis

Thanks a ton for such wonderful wish. Keep posting :)
Director
V
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Aug 2019, 05:15
HI generis , GMATNinja , GMATRockstar

IN this question "one of whom was known to be a rival of the author" is non-essential Modifier.

Can you pls explain how to differentiate b/w non-essential Modifier & Modifier?

As per my understanding Which is usually a non-essential Modifier & That is essential Modifier.

But in a complex sentence, which is fully underlined how to differentiate b/w non-essential Modifier & Modifier?

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Originally posted by NandishSS on 16 Aug 2019, 07:22.
Last edited by NandishSS on 20 Aug 2019, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2019, 17:42
Whom should be used to refer to the object of a verb or preposition.
Who should be used to refer to the subject of a sentence.

When in doubt, try this simple trick:

If you can replace the word with “he”' or “'she,” use who.
If you can replace it with “him” or “her,” use whom.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2019, 17:42

Ernest Hemingway and his contemporaries, one of whom was known to be a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics