GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 14:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 10:09
I'm looking to apply for business school and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on my profile.

29yr old male
Undergrad GPA: 2.26 in Economics from a small unknown state school
Grad GPA: 3.7 Masters in Applied Economics from Southern New Hampshire University
GMAT: 730
Work Experience: 6 years at a F500 financial services company (1 yr in Sales, 5yrs in Investment Management)
CFA Charterholder

I'm looking to apply to the University of Chicago, Cornell, Dartmouth, NYU, and Columbia.

Do I have a shot or is my undergrad GPA going to get me dinged at each school?
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 06:35
Hi chbil31,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. To directly answer your question, your undergraduate GPA will not automatically ding you as you have shown academic success in your grad program. You have a solid background but will require to spend some time building your profile. You should also address in your application any areas you feel might not be viewed positively, like the undergraduate GPA. The institutions will need to get to know you are as well as why do you require an MBA and why now. Keep that in mind as you prepare your applications.

If interested to continue the conversation, please reach out to schedule a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

chbil31 wrote:
I'm looking to apply for business school and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on my profile.

29yr old male
Grad GPA: 3.7 Masters in Applied Economics from Southern New Hampshire University
Work Experience: 6 years at a F500 financial services company (1 yr in Sales, 5yrs in Investment Management)
CFA Charterholder

I'm looking to apply to the University of Chicago, Cornell, Dartmouth, NYU, and Columbia.

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Vibranture
Evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 05:06
Hi chbil31,

You seem to have a good profile but to give detailed feedback on your profile, I'd like to know details of your work profile, your motivation for MBA and your career goals. Feel free to email me directly at mail@vibranture.com, or connect with me on LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/in/shea-rai-vibranture/

In the meantime, check out this article I wrote sometime back:
How B-schools will evaluate your profile
http://www.vibranture.com/articles/how- ... rofile.htm

chbil31 wrote:

29yr old male
CFA Charterholder

Shea Rai is an MBA alumna from Ross (Michigan) and an MBA/EMBA Admissions Consultant, at VIBRANTURE.COM. She helps students from across the globe get admitted to their dream B-schools.

Want to see what Vibranture clients are saying about their experience?
Click here http://www.vibranture.com/essay/mba-essay-writing-india-feedback.htm

INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 03:05
chbil31 wrote:

29yr old male
CFA Charterholder

chbil31

I don’t think that it will cause you to be dinged, however I definitely think it would be wise for you to address it in your optional essay. It's a balance between not ignoring it, owning up to it, but don't focus too much on weaknesses at the expense of using the application to showcase your strengths and the unique contribution you could make.

Point to the discipline demonstrated to obtain 3.7 and also your CFA. I think your profile looks pretty solid. GMAT looks OK however could be on the low side if you are over represented, …ie Indian or Chinese, for Booth and Tuck.

It’s hard to really know your chances without getting into the quality of the work experience (leadership, teamwork, problem solving) hobbies and extracurriculars, things that will bring you to life to the Admissions Committee.

If this was just a process of Work Experience plus GMAT plus GPA equals business school none of us consultants would have jobs ?

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Evaluate my profile &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jul 2018, 03:05

Evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap