Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 15:52 It is currently 15 May 2024, 15:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Exit Opps - IB and MC [#permalink]
BearStearner wrote:
Former IB/Wall St warriors often don't choose the corporate route. They have high expectation for compensation and etc. Also, many corporations prefer hiring accountants (many number crunchers on Wall St don't know how to close books every month etc - this task is usually reserved for back office operations ppl) or people out of their own finance development program.

BearStearner, I thought it was somewhat common for people to jump from IB to corporate finance roles simply to increase quality of life. Also, I would imagine that their skills would be useful in an M&A advisory role within a corporation (as opposed to "closing books every month"). Is this not true?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
maverick2011 wrote:
BearStearner, I thought it was somewhat common for people to jump from IB to corporate finance roles simply to increase quality of life. Also, I would imagine that their skills would be useful in an M&A advisory role within a corporation (as opposed to "closing books every month"). Is this not true?

Great question!
Very few companies have such thing as "M&A advisory role". Companies like IBM (because they acquire 10+ small companies every year) might acquire services of M&A specialty individuals and put them under their payroll.

Usually, it is more efficient to just hire M&A bankers and lawyers to tackle that issue. Many IB'ers make cold calls to "pitch" their latest M&A fantasies/ideas all the time. Companies don't get charged for these "pitch" meetings.

I don't want to be politically incorrect or cause uproar, but among my colleagues - usually women move on to corporate finance roles - usually financial planning & analysis - in order to achieve work/life balance after having kids.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Thanks for the input. I'm in the power/utilities industry, and the big utilities seem to have an internal M&A group. I imagine most big companies have a similar group. The group this guy is leading is an example:

https://www.duke-energy.com/about-us/lea ... -barry.asp

I think they are responsible for:

1. coming up with M&A ideas
2. evaluating/negotiating the stuff the IB's pitch

I'm just speculating though.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Bear, for somebody who is entering IB post-MBA (who had finance experience pre-MBA), will plenty of opportunities be around if he succeeds at one of the larger banks for a few years? I will have to depend on achieving star status, since I don't have the sparkly Ivy undergrad on my resume.
Current Student
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
MeddlingKid wrote:
Bear, for somebody who is entering IB post-MBA (who had finance experience pre-MBA), will plenty of opportunities be around if he succeeds at one of the larger banks for a few years? I will have to depend on achieving star status, since I don't have the sparkly Ivy undergrad on my resume.

Believe it or not, not everyone on Wall St has fancy undergrad degree. (Plus you will have Booth MBA - who's gonna question that?)

Taking traditional IB road will definitely help with your post-banker plans. However, Booth will open a lot of doors for you. Keep your mind open. You will have more options than just traditional big IBs.

To be honest, traditional IBs are weakening and consolidating right now. However, there will be no doubt that Wall St will re-invent/find the next "Big" thing and ride that to generate enormous revenue again in the near future. (I will bet my money against those nay-sayers) For example, easy tech IPOs were their revenue machine in the late 90's. Junk bonds were king in the 80's. Recently, subprime mortgage debt writing and securitizing....

Plenty of people come from various (non-finance) backgrounds pre-MBA. Not everyone can be a "star"... Even "stars" burn out and they get replaced by the next guy.

There are many ways to find success on Wall St. First find your passion and your niche (expertise). Look out for new opportunities and pitch your ideas. Take the initiative and become an asset to the company/team.
You got to work hard and play hard.

But never burn your bridges. Because your future friends, classmates, and co-workers will help you reach your goals.

Good luck.
Current Student
Send PM
Hey thanks for the great posts BearStearner.

How much harder is it to transition to buyside finance jobs like PE/HF or a big mutual fund company (like Fidelity) from MC then from IB. I have experience in finance (nowhere near IB but somewhat decent - I'm in business valuation) and I hope to have the CFA when I start school. Would that background, CFA, MBA and 2-3 years at MC be easy or hard to transition to the buyside? I know IB is by far the more typical route for this but MC just sounds more interesting to me and I like the idea that it generally has broader exit options (something I've heard a couple times).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Don't MCs handle M&A activities such as doing due diligence,providing advice on achieving synergies after an acquistion?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
BearStearner wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:

Believe it or not, not everyone on Wall St has fancy undergrad degree. (Plus you will have Booth MBA - who's gonna question that?)

Taking traditional IB road will definitely help with your post-banker plans. However, Booth will open a lot of doors for you. Keep your mind open. You will have more options than just traditional big IBs.

To be honest, traditional IBs are weakening and consolidating right now. However, there will be no doubt that Wall St will re-invent/find the next "Big" thing and ride that to generate enormous revenue again in the near future. (I will bet my money against those nay-sayers) For example, easy tech IPOs were their revenue machine in the late 90's. Junk bonds were king in the 80's. Recently, subprime mortgage debt writing and securitizing....

Plenty of people come from various (non-finance) backgrounds pre-MBA. Not everyone can be a "star"... Even "stars" burn out and they get replaced by the next guy.

There are many ways to find success on Wall St. First find your passion and your niche (expertise). Look out for new opportunities and pitch your ideas. Take the initiative and become an asset to the company/team.
You got to work hard and play hard.

But never burn your bridges. Because your future friends, classmates, and co-workers will help you reach your goals.

Good luck.

Thank you for the insightful response. +1 to you
Current Student
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
fall09 wrote:
Don't MCs handle M&A activities such as doing due diligence,providing advice on achieving synergies after an acquistion?

You are absolutely right Fall09. Many MCs look at a client's business as an integrated, cohesive whole. Mcs helps clients find new markets to generate revenue, make more of it faster, and sustain its growth longer. Big MCs help make the big decisions such as strategy, organization/restructuring, operations management, technology integration, and mergers & acquisitions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [4]
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Hey thanks for the great posts BearStearner.

How much harder is it to transition to buyside finance jobs like PE/HF or a big mutual fund company (like Fidelity) from MC then from IB. I have experience in finance (nowhere near IB but somewhat decent - I'm in business valuation) and I hope to have the CFA when I start school. Would that background, CFA, MBA and 2-3 years at MC be easy or hard to transition to the buyside? I know IB is by far the more typical route for this but MC just sounds more interesting to me and I like the idea that it generally has broader exit options (something I've heard a couple times).

Hi IHateTheGMAT. Your question is unique and I am glad you are willing to take non-traditional path in order to achieve your dreams. As you may already know, there is no such thing as blueprint to success. Everyone gets to the top of their game in their own way. My advice - follow your heart and dreams and establish your own legacy and roadmap to success.

Personally, I don't think I've met anyone that went from MC to big mutual fund management. However, PE/HF to mutual fund path is very do-able.

If I was in your position I would do the following:

1) Tuck is an amazing program. Congrats. Make sure you have yourself a fantastic 2 years and leverage all of Tuck's assets (name brand, alumni network, ivy status, career services etc) as much as possible. After all, Tuck education isn't cheap.
2) Go interview with all the MC firms that interest you as well as finance firms such as PE/HF/IB/VC etc. If you do go down the MC path, look for big MC firms with long history of generating world class leaders. Bain & Company is one firm that comes to mind right away.

Bain & Company's former employees currently in finance side includes:
- Tony Tamer (Partner - H.I.G. Capital https://www.higcapital.com/)
- Peter Tornquist (MD - CVC Capital Partners https://www.cvc.com/Content/EN/General/Home.aspx)
- Nick Prettejohn (CEO - Prudential PLC https://www.prudential.co.uk/)
- Vivek Paul (Partner - TPG https://www.texaspacificgroup.com/)
- Larry Orr (Partner Trinity Ventures https://www.trinityventures.com/)
- Jane Mendillo (President & CEO Harvard Management https://www.hmc.harvard.edu/)
- Eric Kriss (Co-founder - Bain Capital https://www.baincapital.com/)
- Joshua Bekenstein (Partner - Bain Capital)
- Anne Glover (co-founder - Amadeus Capital Partners https://www.amadeuscapital.com/about.php)
- Pete Dawkins (CEO - Primerica Financial Services https://www.primerica.com/public/)
- Jesse Rogers, David Dominik (MD - Golden Gate Capital https://www.goldengatecap.com/)
- Tom Darden (CEO - Cherokee Investment https://www.cherokeefund.com/)
- Gary Crittenden — (CFO - Citigroup, Inc and formerly of American Express)
- Kenneth Chenault — (CEO - American Express)
- Paul Achleitner — (CFO - Allianz https://www.allianz.com/en/index.html)

As you can see, tons of former MCs went to finance side and succeeded. Opportunities are endless. Everything is up to you now. Good luck.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks BearStearner! Added kudos to all your posts, you were really helpful in this thread. I noticed we applied to some similar schools, feel free to PM me if you have any questions on schools/interviews/apps etc.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Good stuff bearstearner! Thanks :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Very insighful bearstearner.
Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
From the IB side, do you think that equity research or corporate finance (banking) has better chances of getting into hedge funds? Working for an HF is my ultimate goal, and I know that probably going to an IB firm post-MBA is my best feeder option, but from the IB house what do you think is the best stepping stone to HF in your opinion?
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
great thread! :D
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Very interesting information and anecdotes
GMAT Club Bot