It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Experiencing huge variation in sectional scores

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: LBS '18, IE April '17
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Experiencing huge variation in sectional scores [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 08:31
Hi

I am in the last leg of GMAT preparation where i am just giving mocks every week and analyzing the same. I have my GMAT scheduled for mid October and i am targeting a score of 700+. However the verbal section is really affecting my performance in mocks. Now the issue is that i am experiencing variations in the sectional performance i.e. at times my sc accuracy is 70-80% but in other cases it also goes down to 40-50. Also CR is experiencing a little variation with 60-70 to 40-50. RC at one point went to 70% but usually remains at around 50%. Mostly my strong area is SC but then in one mock when i got 44% accuracy it was worrisome. I am using experts global.mock cats. Verbal score is usually around 30-35 though in one mock got even 42. Please advice how to shoot up my verbal score to 40.

Posted from my mobile device

Give kudos and appreciate if you think its worthwhile

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Experiencing huge variation in sectional scores [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 08:32
Hi

I am in the last leg of GMAT preparation where i am just giving mocks every week and analyzing the same. I have my GMAT scheduled for mid October and i am targeting a score of 700+. However the verbal section is really affecting my performance in mocks. Now the issue is that i am experiencing variations in the sectional performance i.e. at times my sc accuracy is 70-80% but in other cases it also goes down to 40-50. Also CR is experiencing a little variation with 60-70 to 40-50. RC at one point went to 70% but usually remains at around 50%. Mostly my strong area is SC but then in one mock when i got 44% accuracy it was worrisome. I am using experts global.mock cats. Verbal score is usually around 30-35 though in one mock got even 42. Please advice how to shoot up my verbal score to 40.

Posted from my mobile device

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 60

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Experiencing huge variation in sectional scores [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 11:59
Your score doesn't really depend on how many questions you get right.

The only reason to focus on your percentage accuracy is when you're comparing different problem types to each other. For instance, if you're at 70% accuracy on CR but only 30% accuracy on SC on the same practice test, that's a sign that you should work more on SC.

There are certainly patterns in the problems you're missing, even though it looks like you're all over the place. Go back and review your practice tests in greater depth, taking notes. Identify a couple of specific things that you're consistently missing - either content points or strategy points. Then focus on those.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 08:03
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Could you please specify as to how to work on those weak areas considering my exam is in another 20-25 days. Do i use the GMAT club tags to solve questions for specific categories or focus on gmatprep and official guide questions.

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 13:05
It'll probably be more useful to do GMATPrep and/or Official Guide problems. GMATClub is a good resource, but only some of the problems posted here are official ones - and official problems are a bit 'safer', since you're guaranteed they're similar to what's really on the test.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Re: Experiencing huge variation in sectional scores   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2017, 13:05

Experiencing huge variation in sectional scores

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap