Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Chicago Booth MBA Admissions & Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Mark Your Calendar: Entrepreneurship Events @ UChicago - April 2014

Welcome back to campus! The Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation invites you to mark your calendar with the many entrepreneurship and private equity programs and events taking place at the University of Chicago and beyond in April 2014.

Follow the links for more information, and check the Polsky Center blog, calendar, and office hours board frequently for new additions.

April Legal Office Hours Ongoing Check the office hours board for updates

Entrepreneurial Internship Program Applications accepted on a rolling basisLearn More

International Student Entrepreneur Workshop April 3 • THURSDAY | 12 -1 p.m. Ida Noyes Hall – East LoungeLearn More | iCal | Google Cal

Creative Launch Pad with John Michael Schert April 10 • THURSDAY | 11:45 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. Harper Center 219Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

Start-Up Networking Night April 10 • THURSDAY | 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. Gleacher Center 6th FloorLearn More | iCal | Google Cal

Lunch and Learn with Remi Barbier, ‘89, President and CEO of Pain Therapeutics, Inc. April 11 • FRIDAY | 11:45 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. Harper Center 219Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

Accelerator Program Application Deadline April 14 • MONDAY | 12 p.m.Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

Fireside Chat with Ben HorowitzApril 17 • THURSDAY | 5 – 7 p.m. CIE Skydeck (5235 S Harper Ct., 11th Floor)Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

NAPEC Innovation Conference Chicago April 18 • FRIDAY | 4 – 9:30 p.m. Hyatt Regency Chicago (151 E Upper Wacker Dr. Chicago, IL 60601)Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

Ideas are Worthless Conference April 24 • THURSDAY | 9 a.m. – 6p.m. Illini Center (200 S. Wacker Dr., Chicago, IL 60606)Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

UChicago Start-Up Career Fair April 24 • THURSDAY | 12 – 4 p.m. Ida Noyes HallLearn More | iCal | Google Cal
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: April Fools Day pranks were a success! #TeamPolsky #GirlsRule...

April Fools Day pranks were a success! #TeamPolsky #GirlsRule #BoysDrool #aprilfools
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Hot Off the Presses! Polsky Center News: April 2014

Check out the April issue of the Polsky Center newsletter for updates on entrepreneurship and innovation at UChicago!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Hello, Could you please tell me if in 2014 The Entrepreneurial Selling Adventure course will be taught? If not, which could you tell me the courses that are going to be implemented? Thanks in advance
Hi! The Entrepreneurial Selling course is typically offered at least once an academic year. Follow this link to learn more about courses that are being offered at Chicago Booth in 2014. Please reach out to polskycenter@ChicagoBooth.edu if you have additional questions.

All the best,Tracey ElderAssociate Director of Marketing, Communications, and External RelationsPolsky Center for Entrepreneurship and InnovationUniversity of Chicago
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Matt Maloney, '10, GrubHub Deliver Tasty IPO
Congratulation to Matt Maloney, ‘10, and his company #GrubHub for their IPO. GrubHub won the #ChicagoNVC in 2006 and quickly grew from there. Check out how Matt and his team made it to this point:

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/about/newsroom/news/2014/2014-04-03-GrubHub

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Chicago-Area Students Harness their Inner Zuckerberg at Campus 1871
This past weekend, a select group of University of Chicago students participated in Campus 1871, a start-up competition, with over 50 talented students from four Chicago-area universities: Northwestern University, Illinois Institute of Technology, University of Illinois, and the University of Chicago.

The students used the weekend to come up with an idea, form multi-university teams, do customer research, and create a minimum viable product. They also participated in “startup 101” classes and worked with mentors in order to refine their pitch to a panel of judges representing the four universities.

In the end, nine teams, consisting of members from all four universities, presented promising businesses ranging from a caffeine diffusing alarm clock to a fitness app that uses the same system as fantasy football.

The winning team, Alpacu, which is an online moving platform, earned a year-long membership to 1871. The runner up and third place teams each received summer memberships. All teams were impressive enough for the 1871’s vice president, Mike Huffstetler to remark that “all of the teams would give the incumbent companies a run for their money.”

Special thanks to 1871’s Mike Huffstetler and Jasmine Slivka for organizing such a great event!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Thanks for seven great years, Tom!! The Polsky team will miss...

Thanks for seven great years, Tom!! The Polsky team will miss you - good thing you aren’t going far! #uchicago #chicagoinnovation
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: #ChicagoBooth students learn about opportunities with 60+...

#ChicagoBooth students learn about opportunities with 60+ startups at #BoothSNN tonight.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Guest Post: Our Experience at the SXSW Business Startup Challenge
Today’s post is by Hugh Gibbons, a current student in the full-time MBA program. He participated in SXSW’s Business Startup Challenge last month with his team, RoomVa, an online booking system for Latin America that allows couples to reserve last minute hotel rooms. Below, Hugh shares some of the highlights of attending SXSW and describes his experience competing against 14 other top-notch teams from business schools around the country. The RoomVa team is currently participating in the 2014 Edward L. Kaplan, ‘71, New Venture Challenge.

Business school is about experiences and the best learning opportunities in school arrive through thoroughly engaging in many and varied experiences: whether it is discussing a unique and controversial case study in a classroom, enjoying a wild safari in the Serengeti during a school trip on spring break or participating with classmates in a national competition, the diverse set of situations we encounter over our two years prepare us better for our future life, professionally and also in many ways personally.

The SXSW Business Startup Challenge is an example of one of these and it was one of our most memorable experiences at school. First, we were honored to be selected to represent Chicago Booth at one of the most recognized and established interactive and technology conferences globally. We understood the prestige of the event and the credibility it would give our start-up idea so our excitement levels beforehand were huge. We also realized that our presentation needed to be high standard so we spent many hours practicing and preparing for the day. We also used a new style of presentation format called Prezi, which our team captain was familiar with, but the other members were not so it took a little getting used too.

The organization prior to the event was excellent both from the Booth perspective and the competition organizers. We (RoomVa team members) all arrived into Austin at different times: I was fortunate to arrive a day early – something I would highly recommend.

There was a tremendous buzz around the city with all the major tech companies represented. For example, I hung out drinking coffee with the guys from Dropbox for some of the afternoon while later in the evening, we had beers with the Funny or Die website crew. From a networking perspective, it is an excellent opportunity for students to engage in this in a more relaxed, informal and social environment. There is nothing forced about the conversations and interactions and it is very organic and natural networking, which I always view as the best form.

The competition started early on Saturday morning. We had a taxi booked to bring us to the event – a great idea/tip as transport was difficult to come by because of festival. Arriving at McCombs business school, it was very quiet in comparison to the rest of the city but when we entered the main communal area, it was alive with other teams getting ready. A solid Starbucks breakfast was served and everyone was ready to go. There were 15 teams divided into 5 different rooms with 3 teams per room along with 2 judges and an administrator.

RoomVa was the first to present: each of us did an excellent job delivering our respective parts and then there was about 10/15 minutes of questions. They were probing, challenging and difficult. The judges wanted to learn a lot more about our financials (e.g. cost of acquisition) and then broader issues around company. It was hugely beneficial to listen to these questions as both judges were angel investors so we were learning about the type of issues angels would see with our company.

Then the two other teams presented. One team was excellent but we still thought we had a strong chance of going through to the final. Unfortunately, we didn’t but we did stay on to watch the finals. Again this was a beneficial and educational experience as we saw how the others presented – even the way the team who beat us improved their pitch in the hours between the first round and final. In fact, that team went on to win overall.

Afterward we had individual feedback with the judges that was fair, insightful and informative and they mentioned how close it was between us and the winners. This is clearly very reassuring for us as we move forward with the idea. Later in the evening we attended at Barnes & Thornburg cocktail reception that we were invited through by Polsky Center and Professor Ellen Rudnick. Again this was fantastic opportunity to network and we met interesting people in both the Chicago and US tech scene.

In conclusion, this was an excellent event. RoomVa thoroughly enjoyed the experience it was hugely beneficial for the team as they continue with the idea through NVC and beyond. I also think it was great opportunity to represent Booth at this prestigious event and we would highly recommend it for Booth in the future as it is important to build our name in the broader entrepreneurship space.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Full house at our fireside chat with Ben Horowitz and Institute...

Full house at our fireside chat with Ben Horowitz and Institute of Politics’ Steve Edwards at the @chicagocie. #startup #uchicago #uchipolitics (at CIE Skydeck)
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: We’re excited to announce UChicago Innovation Week, a...

We’re excited to announce UChicago Innovation Week, a weeklong celebration of innovation, entrepreneurship, and collaboration across the University of Chicago campus. Students, faculty, and staff from all disciplines and divisions are invited to participate.

Featured events include the New Venture Challenge finals, Innovation Showcase, and App Challenge finals. Click the photo to learn more about the events and activities taking place May 22 - May 30.

Register to attend events here.

And don’t forget to check the calendar regularly for new additions!

Innovation Week Partners:

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: A look at 3 student startups competing in this year's New Venture Challenge
A look at 3 student startups competing in this year's New Venture Challenge: GrubHub, Bump Technologies, BenchPrep, Base, Zipfit. Having launched these companies and more than 80 others since the program began in 1996, the New Venture Challenge at Chicago Booth is looking to vet another 55 promising teams this year.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurship Events @ UChicago: May 2014

The Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation invites you to mark your calendar with the many entrepreneurship and private equity programs and events taking place at the University of Chicago and beyond in May, including UChicago Innovation Week!

Follow the links for more information, and check the Polsky Center blog, calendar, and our office hours board frequently for new additions.

Entrepreneurial Internship Program Applications accepted on a rolling basisLearn More

D4Lab Fieldtrip: Gravity Tank - limited registration May 2 • FRIDAY | 2:45 – 4:15 p.m. Gravity Tank (114 W. Illinois) - transportation NOT providedLearn More | iCal | Google Cal

D4Lab Workshop: Future University Part 1 May 6 • TUESDAY | 5 – 7 p.m. Harper Center 104Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

Legal Office Hours May 7 • WEDNESDAY | 11:30 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. 1871 (Polsky Center Office)Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

Chicago Conversations: Venture Capital May 8 • THURSDAY | 5 – 7 p.m. Harper Center 104Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

D4Lab Workshop: Future University Part 2 May 14 • WEDNESDAY | 5 – 7 p.m. Harper Center 104Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

Impact Engine Application Period Opens May 15 • THURSDAYLearn More | iCal | Google Cal

UChicago Innovation Week* May 22 – May 30Learn More | iCal | Google CalRegister now for Innovation Week events

CIE Hard Hat Tours - limited registration* May 22 • May 23 • May 28 | 4 – 5 p.m. Chicago Innovation ExchangeRegister Here

College New Venture Challenge Finals* May 22 • THURSDAY |12 – 6 p.m. Harper Center C-25; 219Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

John Edwardson, ‘72, Social New Venture Challenge Finals and Reception* May 27 • TUESDAY | 12:30 p.m. – 4 p.m. Harper Center C-25Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

Edward L. Kaplan, ‘71, New Venture Challenge Finals* May 29 • THURSDAY | 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. Harper Center C-25Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

App Challenge Finals* May 29 • THURSDAY | 3 – 4 p.m. Harper Center 104Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

UChicago Innovation Showcase* May 29 • THURSDAY | 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. Harper Center Winter GardenLearn More | iCal | Google Cal

* Event is part of UChicago Innovation Week. Want to host an event? Contact Tracey Elder.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: A.R.I.S.E. 2.0 Demo Day provides community-based companies with access to investors and senior counsel
Yesterday, the A.R.I.S.E. 2.0 Accelerator Program wrapped up with a Demo Day, held at 1871 in the Merchandise Mart in downtown Chicago. Congratulations to the four companies that went through the program - we truly enjoyed working with each of the founders to help them grow their businesses over the past few months. See the release below  to learn more about the program and teams.

A.R.I.S.E 2.0 Business Accelerator Opens Doors for Minority Entrepreneurs

Demo Day provides community-based companies with access to investors and senior counsel

CHICAGO, May 1, 2014 – Empowered by mentors and access to at least $20,000 in funding, four minority business owners are now well positioned to negotiate capital investments to expand their operations and, ultimately, create jobs in their communities.

Yesterday’s Demo Day event at the 1871 tech hub in the Merchandise Mart connected community-based businesses participating in the A.R.I.S.E. 2.0 Business Accelerator program with the intellectual and financial capital typically focused downtown. It was the culmination of a four-month program that was created by Salem Baptist Church, leveraged the expertise of University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business, and shared the experience of more than 30 speakers and mentors. The program was made possible by AAR CORP. Chairman and CEO David P. Storch’s $500,000 personal investment in A.R.I.S.E. 2.0 and its participants, to whom he committed at least $20,000 each.

The owners of four small businesses presented their expansion plans before a group that included Storch and other potential private investors, bank representatives, fellow entrepreneurs and community members. The presentations were followed by a reception where potential investors could meet the business owners and set up future meetings.

The companies were selected from 90 applicants and do business in the manufacturing, retail, healthcare and education industries. They include Ma’s Best, maker of home-style rolls and coffee cakes, owned by Earl, Gwendolyn and Brian Smith; the Frock Shop, a special-occasion dress rental business owned by Jennifer Burrell; RS Independent Home Healthcare, a caregiver service owned by Ted and Rena Williams; and Swish Dreams, which integrates math and reading principles with sports and teaches youth fitness, literacy and leadership, owned by Joshua and Kenya Mercer.

Storch, who decided to fund A.R.I.S.E. 2.0 last November after attending the A.R.I.S.E. Business Expo and seeing the minority-owned businesses with the potential to create jobs, was impressed by the presentations.

“These entrepreneurs have made great progress and gained powerful insight over the past few months,” Storch said. “They are well on their way to growing their businesses, which will also have a positive impact on their communities. My hope is that more people will understand the significant effect that a capital investment can have and get involved.”

The University of Chicago Booth School of Business’ Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation and Social Enterprise Initiative provided program participants with access to its world-class curriculum with A.R.I.S.E. 2.0 sessions focused on hiring and firing, legal, marketing, funding, operations and pitch practice.

”A solid educational foundation is a critical component of building a successful company,” said Robert Gertner, Joel F. Gemunder professor of strategy and finance, deputy dean, and co-faculty director of the Social Enterprise Initiative. “Part of our mission is to foster venture creation, and we are pleased to have had the opportunity to work with these entrepreneurs as they honed their skills and businesses to make a greater impact within the community.”

A.R.I.S.E 2.0 wants to economically empower communities by building sustainable, scalable companies that generate a return on investment and create jobs. Storch’s $500,000 investment ensures that graduates of Salem Baptist’s A.R.I.S.E. Entrepreneurship Program will be eligible to compete for participation in A.R.I.S.E. 2.0 for the next 10 years. The goal through 2023 is to mentor 40 businesses, create four major corporations and a minimum of 400 jobs.

“Sometimes, it takes just one person to make the first step and others will follow. David Storch opened a door; now other investors are interested in taking a look at these great companies,” said Jamell Meeks. “It’s critical for mom-and-pop businesses to access people who can help them get to the next level of success. That’s what this business accelerator is all about: Pushing past artificial barriers to supercharge businesses.”

AAR (NYSE: AIR), based in Wood Dale, Ill., is a global aerospace and defense contractor that employs more than 6,000 people in 17 countries.

Media contact: Kathleen Cantillon | Kathleen.Cantillon@aarcorp.com | 630-227-2081

This press release contains certain statements relating to future results, which are forward-looking statements as that term is defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.  These forward-looking statements are based on beliefs of Company management, as well as assumptions and estimates based on information currently available to the Company, and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from historical results or those anticipated, including those factors discussed under Item 1A, entitled “Risk Factors”, included in the Company’s Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended May 31, 2013. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize adversely, or should underlying assumptions or estimates prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those described.  These events and uncertainties are difficult or impossible to predict accurately and many are beyond the Company’s control.  The Company assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date of such statements or to reflect the occurrence of anticipated or unanticipated events. For additional information, see the comments included in AAR’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Call for Entrepreneurs, Creators, and Innovators at UChicago

Do you have a start-up, a mobile app, a creative technology, or a new venture? Apply to share it at the third annual UChicago Innovation Showcase on Thursday May 29!

The Innovation Showcase is an ideal opportunity to market your venture to hundreds of students and faculty that attend from the Chicago entrepreneurial community and to network with industry professionals and experts.

The Showcase features, but is not limited to, groups competing in the Edward L. Kaplan, ’71, New Venture Challenge, the John Edwardson, ’72, Social New Venture Challenge, the College New Venture Challenge, and the University of Chicago App Challenge, as well as groups from divisions and departments around the campus. Click here for a list of past participants.

Candidates interested in participating must be affiliated with the University of Chicago as a student, faculty member, staff, or alumnus.

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until May 20th. If you have questions, contact Tracey Elder.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Polsky Center News: May 2014

Check out the May issue of the Polsky Center newsletter for updates on entrepreneurship and innovation at UChicago!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Attending the DePaul University Showcase of @CrainsChicago 40...

Attending the DePaul University Showcase of @CrainsChicago 40 Under 40 panel, “Disruptive Experiences: Turning Upheaval into Opportunity.” Fascinating! #ccb4040 #disruption #innovation
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  48   
Moderators:
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts
Booth and Haas Moderator
44 posts