GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Sep 2017, 20:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:27) correct 25% (01:30) wrong based on 763 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species. Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird, these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

The argument depends on assuming that

(A) the proportion of a seabird’s diet consisting of fish was not as high, on average, in the 1880s as it is today

(B) the amount of mercury in a saltwater fish depends on the amount of pollution in the ocean habitat of the fish

(C) mercury derived from fish is essential for the normal growth of a seabird’s feathers

(D) the stuffed seabirds whose feathers were tested for mercury were not fully grown

(E) the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s did not substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers

Source: LSAT

If questions jerk in your mind, then give me a KUDOS

Originally posted by creativeminddu on 19 Nov 2013, 03:11.
Last edited by broall on 18 Sep 2017, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Re: Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2013, 20:18
Veritas teaches a technique called the "assumption negation technique" that is very effective for solving critical reasoning assumption questions. In order to utilize the assumption negation technique, narrow down your list of potential answers to a couple you feel may be correct. Then, for each answer choice, negate the choice, insert the negated statement back into the argument, and gauge whether or not the argument falls apart. A correct assumption, when negated, will destroy the argument.

This argument is stating that mercury levels are higher in saltwater fish now than in the 1880s, and it uses the comparison of the mercury in feathers of currently living birds vs. those of birds stuffed in the 1880s.

Negating answer choice E, we have: "the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s DID substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers." If that is the case, then the comparison between living birds and those stuffed in the 1880s is no longer relevant, as the mercury in those birds' feathers was significantly altered. This destroys the link between premises and conclusion, and thus answer choice E is a required assumption.

I hope this helps!!!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 03:38
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
Veritas teaches a technique called the "assumption negation technique" that is very effective for solving critical reasoning assumption questions. In order to utilize the assumption negation technique, narrow down your list of potential answers to a couple you feel may be correct. Then, for each answer choice, negate the choice, insert the negated statement back into the argument, and gauge whether or not the argument falls apart. A correct assumption, when negated, will destroy the argument.

This argument is stating that mercury levels are higher in saltwater fish now than in the 1880s, and it uses the comparison of the mercury in feathers of currently living birds vs. those of birds stuffed in the 1880s.

Negating answer choice E, we have: "the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s DID substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers." If that is the case, then the comparison between living birds and those stuffed in the 1880s is no longer relevant, as the mercury in those birds' feathers was significantly altered. This destroys the link between premises and conclusion, and thus answer choice E is a required assumption.

I hope this helps!!!

hi

its fairly easy problem, and like everyone, I also got it right, but...
I was wondering if you could tell me whether the way I have eliminated "C" is okay

Assumption is an unstated premise, but the premise that "C" states is clearly stated in the argument, so it cannot be an unstated premise, so I have ruled it out. Is that okay ..?

thanks in advance, man
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 12:10
creativeminddu wrote:
Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species. Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird, these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

The argument depends on assuming that

(A) the proportion of a seabird’s diet consisting of fish was not as high, on average, in the 1880s as it is today

(B) the amount of mercury in a saltwater fish depends on the amount of pollution in the ocean habitat of the fish

(C) mercury derived from fish is essential for the normal growth of a seabird’s feathers

(D) the stuffed seabirds whose feathers were tested for mercury were not fully grown

(E) the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s did not substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers

Source: LSAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LdXSJwF2NA
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 15:50
Went with E

(E) the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s did not substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feather.

The argument has to consider the answer E before making the statement "mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago"
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 07:59
gmatcracker2018 wrote:
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:

I hope this helps!!!

hi

its fairly easy problem, and like everyone, I also got it right, but...
I was wondering if you could tell me whether the way I have eliminated "C" is okay

Assumption is an unstated premise, but the premise that "C" states is clearly stated in the argument, so it cannot be an unstated premise, so I have ruled it out. Is that okay ..?

thanks in advance, man

Hi gmatcracker2018,
I don't think C is stated in the argument.

(C) mercury derived from fish is essential for the normal growth of a seabird’s feathers - Incorrect

mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird -- We can't infer that mercury is essential for the normal growth based on this sentence.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 22:18
GMATNinja nightblade354 VeritasPrepKarishma pikolo2510 generis

Can you help me to understand the argument?

Quote:
Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species.

Birds from today have 100 mg of mercury (for e.g) than those that lived in 1980 who had
50 mg of mercury. Both birds are of same species.

Quote:
Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird, these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

Mercury found in birds' feathers is derived from fish that birds eat.
There is a direct linear relationship between accumulation of mercury in feathers and
amount of fish that birds eat.

Final conclusion:
mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

Here is where I faltered? What a scope shift from birds to fish in the argument? I am nowwhere given
a hint to relate mercury level in fish. It is the birds that eat fish, how do I know mercury levels in fish and to
what do I co-relate it to?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 00:57
adkikani wrote:

Quote:
Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species.

Birds from today have 100 mg of mercury (for e.g) than those that lived in 1980 who had

Quote:
Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird, these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

There is a direct linear relationship between accumulation of mercury in feathers and

Final conclusion:

Here is where I faltered? What a scope shift from birds to fish in the argument? I am nowwhere given
a hint to relate mercury level in fish. It is the birds that eat fish, how do I know mercury levels in fish and to

Hi adkikani,

1. Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species.

2. Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird--> the fish is the source of Mercury in the seabird's feather

these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.---> Based on the premises 1 and 2 we can infer the given conclusion.

1.the proportion of a seabird’s diet consisting of fish was not significantly lower, on average, in the 1880s as it is today.
2. The seabirds whose feathers have been stuffed and preserved since the 1880s were not significantly younger than those whose feathers were taken recently.

Are these also valid assumptions?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , GMATNinjaTwo ,
VeritasPrepKarishma ,other experts-- please enlighten

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 11:20
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Final conclusion:

the analysis of the argument was perfect :thumbup:

As you see there is a big scope shift. The assumption that should straight popup in your head is "Mercury in saltwater fish is directly responsible for the mercury in the bird's feather" . That's how you can draw the conclusion.

Hope this helps!

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 05:18
adkikani, the above explanations are good. As for me, I simply negated (E):

(E) the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s did substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers

If this is the statement, then the argument completely falls apart, and hence is the answer. Negation is always great on assumptions questions!

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 11:45
Skywalker18 wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Final conclusion:

Hi adkikani,

1. Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species.

2. Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird--> the fish is the source of Mercury in the seabird's feather

these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.---> Based on the premises 1 and 2 we can infer the given conclusion.

1.the proportion of a seabird’s diet consisting of fish was not significantly lower, on average, in the 1880s as it is today.
2. The seabirds whose feathers have been stuffed and preserved since the 1880s were not significantly younger than those whose feathers were taken recently.

Are these also valid assumptions?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , GMATNinjaTwo ,
VeritasPrepKarishma ,other experts-- please enlighten

Skywalker18, you nailed it!

We are specifically told that the "mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird." Although we aren't given the exact mercury levels in the fish, we can infer that, all else equal, increasing the amount of fish eaten would increase mercury levels in the feathers. Also, increasing the mercury levels in the fish would likely increase mercury levels in the feathers.

And, yes, your highlighted assumptions (variations of choice A and choice D) would be valid assumptions. If either of those highlighted assumptions were not true, the argument would fall apart. You deserve a cookie. :-)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 23:48
GMATNinja wrote:

Skywalker18, you nailed it!

We are specifically told that the "mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird." Although we aren't given the exact mercury levels in the fish, we can infer that, all else equal, increasing the amount of fish eaten would increase mercury levels in the feathers. Also, increasing the mercury levels in the fish would likely increase mercury levels in the feathers.

And, yes, your highlighted assumptions (variations of choice A and choice D) would be valid assumptions. If either of those highlighted assumptions were not true, the argument would fall apart. You deserve a cookie. :-)

Thank you GMATNinja sir for your kind words :-)

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 21:08

Negate this option:-
The process used to preserve birds in the 1880s DID SUBSTANTIALLY decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers.
This will make the argument fall apart.
If the mercury levels were altered deliberately, the comparison between birds of 1880s and birds of today becomes absurd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Re: Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jul 2018, 21:08

Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap