It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finding a college

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Finding a college [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 07:24
I will be giving my gmat in the last week of December and hoping to score more than 680.I need to short list the colleges asap so that i can prepare for the essays.Can someone help me in shortlisting colleges as i do not want to spend money in hiring a consultant and filling forms of those colleges in which i won't be admitted
My first choice is one year MBA program.
Here is my profile-
Age-25
Nationality-Indian
Work experience- total 35 months

1•20 months of factory work experience in a textile industry.
Joined as a supervisor and promoted to assistant manager within 9 months.
2•joined a new start up and handled operations for 15+ months.Besides operations,i also helped in consulting .

Working with 2 NGO's since last 4 years
And completed 5 online courses on leadership and project management.

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Re: Finding a college [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 13:47
Thanks for sharing some parts of your program. What are you looking to do post-MBA? Would help to better target schools for you with this info

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 23:38
To be very Frank,as such I currently do not have any post MBA plans.May be i can do a job,start my own company,or come back to India to work with the government on public programs.
I would be highly obliged if you can provide me a list of colleges ,so that i can view each program and then make up my mind.
But yes,a one year mba program is my first choice.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 128

GPA: 3.33

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 00:38
ash2792 wrote:
To be very Frank,as such I currently do not have any post MBA plans.May be i can do a job,start my own company,or come back to India to work with the government on public programs.
I would be highly obliged if you can provide me a list of colleges ,so that i can view each program and then make up my mind.

Hi There ash2792

Mind if I bump in? I'm really interested in this questions.

I'm not an expert here, so I just share information. I hope the experts in this club will share some light.

I think the purpose of students taking MBA is because they want to achieve their goals by using the title MBA itself. For example, me. I want to take MBA because I want to move from financial services to technology or consumer goods. And I believe MBA can do that. If you check the school's website, they will give information on how many percents their graduate change their career tracks, their industry post MBA, etc.

If you get a high score (730+, let's hope so :) ), you will very comfortably apply to ANY school you want. And then comes next step, which is preparing resume, essays, and interview. These parts will uncover your character and your goals. So, your goals is also a part of your applications.

The b-school want to and can help the students achieve their goals. The students choose a particular school to gain experience and skills to achieve their goals. If the student's goals and the school's curriculum is not match, then it will be a bad investment.

Imagine like this. You are stand out among others applicants (let's hope so :) ). Then comes the interview. What will it be, if the interviewer asks your goals, but you answered it half heartedly?
I believe the adcom is very expertise in the interview. Maybe they can read our mind. But the fact is, we as an applicants must have a goals.

If you want to start your own company, you can check Babson College (but it's 2 years if I'm not wrong.). One of the founder of GMAT prep here comes from Babson, if I'm not mistaken.

If you want to start a job, what kind of industry you want to work? If tech, you can check ESMT Berlin (1 year, one of my target too).

To sum it up, this journey starts from your vision. What's your vision?

I also have a hard time to discover my vision. But, as a suggestion, maybe you can check the leader of a famous company.
For example , Sundar Pichai. He comes from India and he takes an MBA (if I'm not mistaken). Sheryl Sanberg, one of facebook director. She also took an MBA.
When I read their biography, I dream to become like them (hopefully). But the fact that I'm not as smart as them (not even closer), then I check myself again and again. If I take an MBA, what is the best I can get with my present experience?

I hope I'm not misleading you. I hope some experts here will come and share some light.

Good luck with your journey.

Confidence , Commitment, and Consistence

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 01:00
arifkunto wrote:
ash2792 wrote:

Hi There ash2792

Mind if I bump in? I'm really interested in this questions.

I'm not an expert here, so I just share information. I hope the experts in this club will share some light.

I think the purpose of students taking MBA is because they want to achieve their goals by using the title MBA itself. For example, me. I want to take MBA because I want to move from financial services to technology or consumer goods. And I believe MBA can do that. If you check the school's website, they will give information on how many percents their graduate change their career tracks, their industry post MBA, etc.

If you get a high score (730+, let's hope so :) ), you will very comfortably apply to ANY school you want. And then comes next step, which is preparing resume, essays, and interview. These parts will uncover your character and your goals. So, your goals is also a part of your applications.

The b-school want to and can help the students achieve their goals. The students choose a particular school to gain experience and skills to achieve their goals. If the student's goals and the school's curriculum is not match, then it will be a bad investment.

Imagine like this. You are stand out among others applicants (let's hope so :) ). Then comes the interview. What will it be, if the interviewer asks your goals, but you answered it half heartedly?
I believe the adcom is very expertise in the interview. Maybe they can read our mind. But the fact is, we as an applicants must have a goals.

If you want to start your own company, you can check Babson College (but it's 2 years if I'm not wrong.). One of the founder of GMAT prep here comes from Babson, if I'm not mistaken.

If you want to start a job, what kind of industry you want to work? If tech, you can check ESMT Berlin (1 year, one of my target too).

To sum it up, this journey starts from your vision. What's your vision?

I also have a hard time to discover my vision. But, as a suggestion, maybe you can check the leader of a famous company.
For example , Sundar Pichai. He comes from India and he takes an MBA (if I'm not mistaken). Sheryl Sanberg, one of facebook director. She also took an MBA.
When I read their biography, I dream to become like them (hopefully). But the fact that I'm not as smart as them (not even closer), then I check myself again and again. If I take an MBA, what is the best I can get with my present experience?

I hope I'm not misleading you. I hope some experts here will come and share some light.

Good luck with your journey.

Thank you so much for explaining me where I am wrong.You are correct that without any proper Post MBA plans it would be very difficult for me to choose a college.But the problem with me is that i do not know what to do after MBA and why should i pursue MBA.The only thing that comes in my mind is financial stability.
What should I do next?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 01:27
ash2792 wrote:
Thank you so much for explaining me where I am wrong.You are correct that without any proper Post MBA plans it would be very difficult for me to choose a college.But the problem with me is that i do not know what to do after MBA and why should i pursue MBA.The only thing that comes in my mind is financial stability.
What should I do next?

Well, we have some common. I also pursue an MBA to achieve a financial stability (or some says financial freedom).

This is my way of think. To be general, the main reason students pursue an MBA because they want to to be the leader of a company. A C-Level, a founder, or others at the same level as that. Many of MBA curriculum emphasize in leadership and management. Eventhough some electives courses have a different perspective (supply chain, tech, finance, entrepreneurship), the core is the same. Leadership and management. Proportionally (and generally), a higher grade of position will lead to financial stability.

I'm not an entrepreneurial person (at least today, I don't know after I take an MBA). But I want to achieve an higher education resulted in higher position. I want to be a C-level.

MBA is a big investment. And I think no b-school will guarantee that take their MBA will result in financial stability. Maybe, they can guarantee their 95% graduates will receive a job in salary range ???? - ????. You can check it in their website.

I can't answer directly to your questions, whether you want an MBA or not. But maybe you can check on the internet, the difference between MBA, MiM, MSc, or other Masters degree. At night before I sleep, I always watch Youtube about MBA. There is a video showing the difference between MBA and MiM. You may want to check it too.

For me, MBA is one of many ways to achieve financial freedom. There are a lot of ways. I don't know other ways, but I believe this is the way that I can go through.

Hope it can share some light. Hope some experts will bump in :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 01:42
arifkunto wrote:
ash2792 wrote:
What should I do next?

Well, we have some common. I also pursue an MBA to achieve a financial stability (or some says financial freedom).

This is my way of think. To be general, the main reason students pursue an MBA because they want to to be the leader of a company. A C-Level, a founder, or others at the same level as that. Many of MBA curriculum emphasize in leadership and management. Eventhough some electives courses have a different perspective (supply chain, tech, finance, entrepreneurship), the core is the same. Leadership and management. Proportionally (and generally), a higher grade of position will lead to financial stability.

I'm not an entrepreneurial person (at least today, I don't know after I take an MBA). But I want to achieve an higher education resulted in higher position. I want to be a C-level.

MBA is a big investment. And I think no b-school will guarantee that take their MBA will result in financial stability. Maybe, they can guarantee their 95% graduates will receive a job in salary range ???? - ????. You can check it in their website.

I can't answer directly to your questions, whether you want an MBA or not. But maybe you can check on the internet, the difference between MBA, MiM, MSc, or other Masters degree. At night before I sleep, I always watch Youtube about MBA. There is a video showing the difference between MBA and MiM. You may want to check it too.

For me, MBA is one of many ways to achieve financial freedom. There are a lot of ways. I don't know other ways, but I believe this is the way that I can go through.

Hope it can share some light. Hope some experts will bump in :)

Thank you so much for putting some thoughts in my brain.I will surely watch those videos and decide what to do next.Will contact you soon.
Thank you again for clearing many of my doubts.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 02:03
ash2792 wrote:
Thank you so much for putting some thoughts in my brain.I will surely watch those videos and decide what to do next.Will contact you soon.

Glad to help. Hope you find what you are looking for. :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 11:08
arifkunto wrote:
ash2792 wrote:

Glad to help. Hope you find what you are looking for. :)

I think MIM is best for me.Can you please suggest me some good colleges for MIM?
But my age is 25 and average age of students pursuing MIM is 23.Moreover there are many colleges which accept students with work ex not more than 2 years.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 02:18
ash2792 wrote:
I think MIM is best for me.Can you please suggest me some good colleges for MIM?
But my age is 25 and average age of students pursuing MIM is 23.Moreover there are many colleges which accept students with work ex not more than 2 years.

Hi ash2792

Since I'm not very interested in MiM, I don't have any information about the program. But maybe you can check this link :

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... ement-2016

Hope it helps :).

Re: Finding a college   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2017, 02:18

Finding a college

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap