It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 20:43

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appear

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 284 [4], given: 0

Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appear [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2005, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (00:55) correct 38% (00:56) wrong based on 1318 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

(A) Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

(B) Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

(C) Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

(D) Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

(E) Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 23 Oct 2017, 06:23, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the Q.

Kudos [?]: 284 [4], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 0

Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appear [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2005, 21:25
A and C are awakward.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished. A and C are out. B is also out because of use of apeared.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished. It is also out because it says 99% only. it is not what is 99%?

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished. The only remaining is D, which is correct.

VP
VP

Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appear [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2005, 17:22
rthothad wrote:
MA wrote:
B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished. A and C are out. B is also out because of use of apeared.

Ma, can you explain why 'that appeared' in B is wrong.

In my opinion, that refers to "Five hundred million different species of living creatures" (that) appeared on Earth have vanished. i mean all creatures have vanished. but this not true. if all creatures were vanished, then what we are left?

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Schools: Tuck'08

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2005, 23:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I go for E

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
A is akward, use of ING for "vanishing" and no link between the 2 main clauses.B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
Suggest that there may be more than 500M different species
C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
Akward construction
D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
I have hesitation with this one but it is not clear if there exists more than 500M different species. It is just said "Of 500M" and not "Of the 500M"
E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
Ok

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2005, 23:57
nocilis wrote:
chunjuwu wrote:
I go with B.

In E, the usage of two present perfect verb tense is inappropriate.

I have lived in this place for five years and have worked at the same company" -> Uses two Present perfect and is a perfectly correct sentence.

nocilis:
I think the sentence you gave above is different from the one in question. In your example, you are joining two independent clauses using the conjugation "and" where in, both the clauses NEED to be in the same tense.
But, in the question - the first part of the sentence is a dependent clause (without the main clause "nearly 99% vanished", we would have a sentence fragment) and hence I agree with what chunjwu says..
Answer should be B

Gurus pl. correct me if I am wrong :dunnow

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2005, 00:10
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
- awkward phrasing.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
- 'have vanised' is the wrong tense. Suggests 'vanishing' is still occuring today

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
- awkward phrasing

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
- 'of five hundered' --> disjointed

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

Go with E for this one.

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2005, 10:11
i ll go with E

one problem, what i notice in B is the usage of "appeared" . it should be "have appeared" with the change in the sentence construction.

B- Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

the relative clause "that appeared on earth" modifies "living creatures"

living creatures is the whole group (100%) out of which 99% have vanished.
so-- "living creatures that appeared on earth"-- would suggest that not a single specie of the 500 million diff species EXISTS (appear) at present, but in fact 1% of them are still in existence.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 457 [3], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2005, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sorry for the late reply. I've been meaning to re-work this question, but I've been bogged down with office work. Anyway, here are my thoughts on this question.

- A is wrong. 'have appeared on earth' suggests new creatures are still appearing today. 'nearly 99% of them vanishing' is also disjointed from the earlier part of the sentence.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
- 99% of the species that appeared -> correct, past tense suggests that the creatures have already appeared
- 'have vanished' suggests that the species are still dying out today.

- 'Vanished are early 99%' -> sounds strange. Beginning with a verb (vanish) that does not modify anything.

- same as for A (have appeared)

- same as for A (have appeared)

I'll take B.

Kudos [?]: 457 [3], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 391 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2005, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
ywilfred wrote:
HongHu wrote:
But B is missing a word "the".

Does indeed sounds strange without a 'the', but clarity of the sentence is still maintained even without the word.

No, "the" must not be ommitted, otherwise it suggests that there might be more than 5 hundred mil creatures in the earth.

Example:

"The ten of us that take this class went to dinner together yesterday." means there are only ten of us that take this class and we all went to dinner together.
"Ten of us that take this class went to dinner together yesterday." means there might be other students that take this class who did not went to dinner with us.

Kudos [?]: 391 [1], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2005, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
kamal_tejnani wrote:
sonaketu wrote:
I prefer B unless someone refutes it.
Both D & E use have twice which isn't good.

sorry.... didn't get you... could you please elaborate

Following is an OE from OG, which made me choose B

Recognize the error being tested:
Verbs: When there are two or more time frames in a sentence be alert for verb errors being tested. In this case there are the time periods where the members had the minutes and the period where they 'were part of the culture.'

Decide On a Fix:
The rule for this form of the Verb error is that the time frames must be made clear through the use of words that indicate time and/or through use of the have + verb form with one of the verbs.

Because the have + verb form is used with the verb 'led' the other verb should not use this form.

Thus, E would have been better this way:

Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

However in B, Nearly 99 percent of (the) five hundred million different species, would have been better

Kudos [?]: 21 [2], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 543 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2005, 17:13
E it is
B's multiple prepositional structure is wrong. For instance, instead of saying "100 of X of Y that...", one should simplify things down to "100 of THE X of Y that...". This makes the sentence much more simple by removing degrees of reference.

D has the same problem as B but furthermore, we are not sure whether personal pronoun "them" refers to "species" or "creatures" and it also intrudes the flow of the sentence. The appositive form in E, at the end and without the superfluous "them", makes for a much better sentence flow.

Best Regards,

Paul

Kudos [?]: 543 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2005, 07:41
pb_india wrote:

Amazing how much debate this and similar questions have sparked so far. I'm sure the debate will continue.

(E) is fine, no problems.
The Past perfect have appeared / have vanished is the correct verb tense. One use of past perfect is to describe action that began in the past, and continues today. May help to imagine the words "so far" at the end of the clause to see if it makes sense. (I have eaten breakfast tacos every morning this year, so far.)

...so...
(E) Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth so far, nearly 99 percent have vanished so far.

YES that makes perfect sense. The process of new species formation began in the past (or we wouldn't be here to discuss it) and still continues today (it is assumed), and for sure the process of species extiction began in the past (e.g., dinosaurs) and continues today (save the whales). And so, past perfect is clearly correct.

AND there is nothing wrong with placing the prepositional phrase "Of the 500 million species" before the subject "nearly 99 percent". It is clear what 99% is referring to, and that just gives some stylistic variety; a writer might do something like that because it sounds good to the ear, or to emphasize one part of the sentence, or to keep close together the subject and verb.

The author of this sentence, for example, might've wanted to go for the throat-grabbing effect of saying "nearly 99% have vanished!!!" . Which is kind of lost if you separate the subject (99 percent) and the verb (have vanished) with a rambling, 15-word prepositional phrase.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2005, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
pb_india wrote:

Answer choice (D) is similar to correct answer (E), so why is (D) wrong? Because "of them" is redundant.

Those of you looking for the words "99 percent of x" are correct, in that 99 percent must be modified by a prepositional phrase: 99 percent of something. (but the sentence can be written in different order)

Unfortunately (D) gives you not one, but two somethings :

99 percent of them
99 percent of five hundred million different species...

So which is it? Because "five hundred million different species" is preceded by of, it is a prepostional phrase suffcient to modify "99 percent". The pronoun them is not needed, and in fact is an unacceptable redundancy.

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2006, 12:19

I might be wrong here but let me try..
B would sound better if it was written as

Nearly 99 percent of the five hundered million different species of living creates that have appeared on Earth have vanished.

reloading NEURON JELLY to reach another galaxy.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2006, 08:14

I think we need ending part like "that have appeared on Earth have vanished"

ruled out compeltely.

verbose, "of them" can be avoided as sentence begins with "of"

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished
Looks fine to me.

Inputs please ....

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

10 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 518 [10], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2007, 05:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ricokevin wrote:

OA: E

Ack! Please Explain.

Why can't B be the answer?

In choice B, "that appeared on Earth" seems to refer to "nearly 99 % of 500 million different species of living creatures", whereas we know that it should refer to "500 million different species of living creatures"

SC questions that are underlined entirely tends to be modification questions. Make sure modifier is referring to the logical modifyee.

Kudos [?]: 518 [10], given: 7

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 226 [2], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2007, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ricokevin wrote:

OA: E

Ack! Please Explain.

Why can't B be the answer?

Here's my take -

The key is the use of the article "The" and the use of present perfect tense in choice E.

Choice B leaves open the possibility that more than 500 million diff species may have appeared on earth. E make is specific - only 500 mill diff species have appeared and 99% of these have vanished.

Kudos [?]: 226 [2], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2007, 06:29
B and E seem very close but I will choose E because of the use of the article "The".

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2007, 09:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi ricokevin,
The OA is B only.
The problem with E is that both the verbs are in present perfect meaning that during the course of species' appearance the species started vanishing.

Check out the link below:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=43741

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2007, 22:23
E)

I agree with techjanson, the action still continues, so Pres. Perfect is required. In these type of questions, when you're doubting between 2 answer choices that both look correct, ALWAYS compare them with the original sentence to verify that they are not changing the meaning. Remember that in SC you could have 2 answer choices that are correct, but the one you have to select is the BETTER of them!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appear   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2007, 22:23

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 63 posts ] 

Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appear

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap