It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 23:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to pers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9426 [1], given: 348

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to pers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:
Ashokshiva pikolo2510

I am not an expert, but let me add my two cents.

Quote:
What does ''that'' refer to in option E.

That refers to two nouns devastation and enslavement.

I hope you are aware usage of THAT as a relative pronoun modifer.
A relative pronoun will always start a dependent clause. The relative pronoun may
or may not be the subject of the DC that it starts.

The reason why you might be confused is due to presence of prepositional phrase -
in the name of progress - which modifies above two nouns. It is
perfectly valid for a modifier (that) to jump over a prepositional phrase to
refer back to both above nouns as subject and make sense with plural
verb - have decimated.

As yourself: Is it progress or evastation and enslavement
that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

Here is complete sentence structure for you:

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress

that have decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

Subject - Verb pairs are as highlighted

Hope this helps.

Hello Arpit adkikani,

I am so happy and proud to see how well you guided pikolo2510 to resolve his own doubt. Great job there. :thumbup:

However, I would just like to make a correction in your above-mentioned analysis.

Please note that have decimated is the verb for the subject that, NOT for devastation and enslavement.

Yes, the noun modifier that refers to devastation and enslavement. But devastation and enslavement does NOT associate with have decimated as a subject. It is that that does so.

If you remove the that clause from the sentence, you will have to remove the verb have decimated also because the verb cannot exist without its subject.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9426 [1], given: 348

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 122

GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to pers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 22:26
This post received
KUDOS
adkikani wrote:
pikolo2510

Quote:
Can "that" modify a plural subject i.e. "devastation and enslavement" ? Till now I thought that only modifies "singular" subjects. Please correct me if I am wrong

Try this question and
let me know what is subject for verb - orbit and what does THAT refer to?

Your answer will reply to your queries. :-)

Hi adkikani,

Thanks for your explanation.

In the question, subject for ''Orbit'' is ''that'' and ''that'' refers to ''asteroids''.

is it right?

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 122

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 259

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to pers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 22:38
Ashokshiva

Yes correct. Cheers Happy learning !

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 259

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 122

GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 22:52
adkikani wrote:
Ashokshiva

So should we conclude by saying ''that'' can refer to plural nouns.

There were instances where i have eliminated answer options by using this technique. Now i would have find an another one.!!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 122

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 17:36
For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

(A) devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere - what has decimated? devastation and enslavement - plural form needed

(B) devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere have been decimated

(C) devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere that have been decimated

(D) devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated

(E) the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere correct

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 98

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 01:03
Dmitriy wrote:
For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

(A) devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere

(B) devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere have been decimated

(C) devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere that have been decimated

(D) devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated

(E) the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere

"the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress" is a compound subject,,,, plural verb required,,,

IMO D

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 98

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9426 [2], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 00:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ashokshiva wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Ashokshiva

So should we conclude by saying ''that'' can refer to plural nouns.

There were instances where i have eliminated answer options by using this technique. Now i would have find an another one.!!

Hello Ashokshiva,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

When that is used a noun modifier, it can refer to a singular as well as a plural noun entity as we saw in the case of the two official sentences that you solved.

When that is used just as a pronoun, then it only refers to a singular noun entity.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9426 [2], given: 348

Re: For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to pers   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2017, 00:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to pers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap