It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 11:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For many years, theoretical economists characterized humans as ration

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 623

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
For many years, theoretical economists characterized humans as ration [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2015, 03:53
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

73% (01:24) correct 27% (01:48) wrong based on 374

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

72% (00:30) correct 28% (00:37) wrong based on 362

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

83% (00:19) correct 17% (00:26) wrong based on 363

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

80% (00:33) correct 20% (00:21) wrong based on 352

For many years, theoretical economists characterized humans as rational beings relentlessly bent on maximizing purely selfish reward. Results of an experimental economics study appear to contradict this view, however. In the “Ultimatum Game,” two subjects, who cannot exchange information, are placed in separate rooms. One is randomly chosen to propose how a sum of money, known to both, should be shared between them; only one offer, which must be accepted or rejected without negotiation, is allowed.

If, in fact, people are selfish and rational, then the proposer should offer the smallest possible share, while the responder should accept any offer, (20) no matter how small: after all, even one dollar is better than nothing. In numerous trials, however, two-thirds of the offers made were between 40 and 50 percent; only 4 percent were less than 20 percent. Among responders, more than half who were offered less than 20 percent rejected the offer. Behavior in the game did not appreciably depend on the players’ sex, age, or education. Nor did the amount of money involved play a significant role: for instance, in trials of the game that were conducted in Indonesia, the sum to be shared was as much as three times the subjects’ average monthly income, and still responders refused offers that they deemed too small.

The primary purpose of the passage is to

A. provide evidence in support of the view that human beings are essentially rational and selfish
B. use a particular study to challenge the argument that the economic behavior of human beings may be motivated by factors other than selfishness
C. compare certain views about human nature held by theoretical economists with those held by experimental economists
D. describe a study that apparently challenges theoretical economists’ understanding of human economic behavior
E. suggest that researchers may have failed to take into account the impact of certain noneconomic factors in designing a study of human economic behavior

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

The passage implies that the results of the Ultimatum Game undermine theoretical economists’ characterization of human beings by

A. demonstrating that most people are inclined to try to maximize their own advantage whenever possible
B. indicating that people who do not have the option of negotiating might behave more generously than do those who have the option of negotiating
C. illustrating how people’s economic behavior depends to some extent on how large a sum of money is involved
D. showing that most people instinctively place their own economic self-interest ahead of the interest of strangers
E. suggesting that people’s economic behavior might in part be motivated by factors other than selfishness

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

The author refers to the sum of one dollar (line 21) in order to

A. question the notion that the amount of money involved significantly affected players’ behavior
B. provide an example of one of the rare offers made by proposers that was less than 20 percent
C. illustrate the rationality of accepting even a very small offer
D. suggest a reason that responders rejected offers that were less than 20 percent
E. challenge the conclusion that a selfish and rational proposer should offer a responder the smallest possible share

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

All of the following are expressly mentioned in the passage as factors that did not significantly affect players’ behavior EXCEPT the

A. players’ level of schooling
B. amount of money to be shared
C. ages of the players
D. players’ professions
E. genders of the players

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #1 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #2 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #3 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #4 OA

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 623

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 44

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: For many years, theoretical economists characterized humans as ration [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2015, 11:20
took 6Min.

one wrong ..damnnnn!!

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 44

Current Student
Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 73

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: For many years, theoretical economists characterized humans as ration [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 09:47
7 minutes, all correct. So happy because RC has been my achilles heel in GMAT Verbal. Hope to keep improving...

Regards,
J

--------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 73

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 05:12
jugglerG2 wrote:
7 minutes, all correct. So happy because RC has been my achilles heel in GMAT Verbal. Hope to keep improving...

Hey could you please share the OA ?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 06:48
Answered all correctly. Took me 5 minutes.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 537

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2016, 06:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Top Contributor
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 620 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 00:48
Top Contributor
6:30 mins. All correct.
~3 for para ~1 min for each question.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 620 [0], given: 606

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 07:01
What will be the level of this passage?

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 79

Math Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 325

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 13:00
Keats wrote:
What will be the level of this passage?

IMHO must not be more than 600.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 325

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 797 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 07:09
Completed in just 4 mins. All correct. DECD

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 797 [0], given: 64

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 134

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 12:08
Got all the questions correct :) Took me around 8 mins overall.

Warm Regards,
Kritesh Singh

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 19:13
1)For many years, theoretical economists characterized humans as rational beings relentlessly bent on maximizing purely selfish reward. However, results of an experimental economics study appear to contradict this view. It is clear that the however signals a change between what was said before and after it: economists believe human beings are rational, however results of the study say otherwise, i.e. that humans are not rational. The passage then goes on to show that humans do not act rationally in the expriements: If, in fact, people are selfish and rational, then the proposer should offer the smallest possible share, while the responder should accept any offer, no matter how small: after all, even one dollar is better than nothing. In numerous trials, however, two-thirds of the offers made were between 40 and 50 percent; only 4 percent were less than 20 percent, further reinforcing this idea: that the study contradicts economists view. answer is D, which clearly describes what the passage is doing.
2)"Behavior in the game did not appreciably depend on the players’ sex, age, or education. Nor did the amount of money involved play a significant role: for instance, in trials of the game that were conducted in Indonesia, the sum to be shared was as much as three times the subjects’ average monthly income, and still responders refused offers that they deemed too small". It implies that money does not play an important role by this we can safely eliminate Option C. Option A and D are out because of extreme answer choices. Option B does not make any sense. Left with option E which is correct answer choice.
3)"while the responder should accept any offer, no matter how small: after all, even one dollar is better than nothing". Option C clearly matches with this notion.
4)"Behavior in the game did not appreciably depend on the players’ sex, age, or education". As per this notion only option D is not mentioned in the passage.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 855

Manager
Manager
G

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
For many years, theoretical economists characterized humans as ration [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 12:04
Hi mikemcgarry , daagh ,

Could you please explain me the answer choice of third question. I went through the elimination logic and found option c to be the most reasonable one.

Is their any other method to get to the answer quickly ?

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 08:28
Took 5 mins and 30 seconds, including 1 min 45 seconds to read the passage

1.The primary purpose of the passage is to
D.describe a study that apparently challenges theoretical economists’ understanding of human economic behavior- Correct - the passage describes a study by experimental economics about Ultimatum Game that challenges theoretical economists’ understanding of human economic behavior

2.The passage implies that the results of the Ultimatum Game undermine theoretical economists’ characterization of human beings by
E.suggesting that people’s economic behavior might in part be motivated by factors other than selfishness - If, in fact, people are selfish and rational, then the proposer should offer the smallest possible share , but the second paragraph tells that it was not the case

3.The author refers to the sum of one dollar (line 21) in order to
C. illustrate the rationality of accepting even a very small offer - "after all, even one dollar is better than nothing"

4.All of the following are expressly mentioned in the passage as factors that did not significantly affect players’ behavior EXCEPT the
Behavior in the game did not appreciably depend on the players’ sex, age, or education; Nor did the amount of money involved play a significant role
D. players’ professions

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 72

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 24

Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 21:07
8 minutes and all correct. Passage is very easy and understandable though in some questions, POE is the best choice.
How we usually got many correct answers here and when in actual GMAT, We fade away and falter in many RC's. Experts??? Any view on this behavior??

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 24

Re: For many years, theoretical economists characterized humans as ration   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 21:07

For many years, theoretical economists characterized humans as ration

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap