Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [4]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools:
GMAT 1: 530 Q44 V19
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [3]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: For more than forty years, a controlling insight in my educational [#permalink]
please give explanation for question 4 i am confused between a and b
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 280
GMAT 1: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Education)
Send PM
For more than forty years, a controlling insight in my educational [#permalink]
Kudos
RITESH24 wrote:
please explain the reasoning for question 1 i agree that the author is not contrasting between the 'words' schooling and education but the idea of schooling and education understood by most people but i found the choice c best because of no other viable option
D option is very specific and is related to just first para

1. The author’s primary purpose in writing this passage is to

A) Highlight major tenets in educational philosophy in the last 40 years.
B) Raise public awareness for the need of teachers with training in the liberal arts.
C) Contrast the words schooling and education.
D) Suggest that youth stands in the way of one becoming educated.
E) Cite the importance of reading with active discussion.

Correct Answer: C

If you follow closely, you will see that near the end of the passage, the author discusses how immaturity, which is associated with youth, comes in the way of learning and getting educated. Throughout the passage, the author criticizes the current education conventions by taking age and immaturity into account. This makes option c, which talks about youth (age) the correct answer.

Originally posted by fireflyejd1 on 15 Dec 2019, 21:28.
Last edited by fireflyejd1 on 15 Dec 2019, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Send PM
3. It can be inferred from the passage that the educated person must

A) Possess more maturity than passion.
B) Not be less than 40 years of age.
C) Be at least a university graduate.
D) Have read classic works of literature.
E) Have traveled widely in order to understand his or her own culture.

Correct answer: B
Notice in the second paragraph, it is mentioned that The young can be prepared for education in the years to come, but only mature men and women can become educated, beginning the process in their forties and ffties and reaching some modicum of genuine insight, sound judgment and practical wisdom after they have turned sixty.

Originally posted by fireflyejd1 on 15 Dec 2019, 21:32.
Last edited by fireflyejd1 on 15 Dec 2019, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
Re: For more than forty years, a controlling insight in my educational [#permalink]
4. Which of the following pairs of words most closely describe the author’s attitude toward adults as mentioned in the passage?

A) Uninformed participants
B) Unfortunate victims
C) Conscientious citizens
D) Invaluable partners
E) Disdainful culprits

Correct Answer: A
Notice in paragraph 3, it says And adults are not doing their part because most are under the illusion that they had completed their education when they finished their schooling. The closest match to the compliment the term illusion from the options we have in "uninformed." Unfortunate, conscientious, invaluable and disdainful are outside the scope .
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bikramjeet wrote:
please give explanation for question 4 i am confused between a and b

Official Explanation

4. Which of the following pairs of words most closely describe the author’s attitude toward adults as mentioned in the passage?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

Tone questions ask about the author’s feeling or attitude toward someone or something in the passage. Basically, the author will be either positive, negative, or neutral. In most cases, especially with respect to Social Sciences passages (versus Science passages), the fact that the author would sit down to write something hints that he or she has some opinion about the topic at hand. Therefore, the neutral answer choice is not usually correct, even if available.

For this question, we have, on the positive and supportive side, the word pairs: “invaluable partners,” “conscientious citizens,” or “unfortunate victims.” On the negative side, we have “uninformed participants” or “disdainful culprits.” The author’s attitude toward adults is somewhat negative but not excessively so.

The feeling is more like frustration. The author believes that adults are not grasping the distinction between schooling and education (lines And adults are not doing their part because most are under the illusion that they had completed their education when they fnished their schooling). Therefore, positive sounding choices C and D are out.

Choice B, “unfortunate victims,” is sympathetic but the author thinks that adults are not victims, just misfocused.

Choice E, “disdainful culprits,” is too negative.

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 593
Send PM
why can't the solution to question 5 be option A?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rhyd wrote:
why can't the solution to question 5 be option A?

Official Explanation

5. How is this passage organized?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The author introduces his thesis or summary in the very frst sentence, “… a controlling insight in my educational philosophy…,” then he goes on to support it with his personal observations, experiences, and opinions. Thus, choice A is not correct. No objective analysis is put forth; if there were, we would expect to see some surveys, statistics, or alternative viewpoints introduced.

Choice B is wrong because there is a single idea presented but the author agrees with it because it is his own idea.

Choice D is incorrect as there are not two viewpoints presented, just one.

Choice E suggests a popular viewpoint but it is highly unlikely that many people have adopted this viewpoint because, according to the author, adults (and, by extension, laypersons) haven’t really caught on. Last, a number of perspectives are not drawn upon. The author chooses to spend the entire article developing his single viewpoint “no one has ever been—no one could ever be educated in school or college.”

Answer: C

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
what would be the title of this paragraph?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts