Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Strengthenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Re: For years the beautiful Renaissance buildings in Palitito have been da [#permalink]
hi AndrewN,
I agree that the problem of exhaust from idling buses is not considered.
for me, more tourists choose tour bus than other means of transportation, say subways, that means tourists buses occupy more percentage than subway, so if parking targets to tour buses, then it seems more likely to reduced damage. although D is slightly strengthen, not strong as C, but I think D is just little strengthen.

please point out my fault.

thanks in advance
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: For years the beautiful Renaissance buildings in Palitito have been da [#permalink]
zoezhuyan wrote:
hi AndrewN,
for me, more tourists choose tour bus than other means of transportation, say subways, that means tourists buses occupy more percentage than subway, so if parking targets to tour buses, then it seems more likely to reduced damage. although D is slightly strengthen, not strong as C, but I think D is just little strengthen.

thanks in advance

I would also like to hear what AndrewN sir has to say.

Here are my cents:

(D) More tourists come to Palitito by tour bus than by any other single means of transportation.

Conclusion: parking would help buses to reduce exhaust that would further reduce damage to Palitito's buildings from the buses' exhaust

To make the conclusion strengthen, you need to assume that buses will definitely park. What if they are on move continuously? What if they spend only 25% of time in parking but rest 75% in taking passengers from place to another? ( Atleast before there were less buses , now we increased buses . Even each bus spend more time in parking, but maybe overall pollution has increased?)
The point what I want to highlight is: This option doesn't give substantiated information to conclusion whether it strengthens or weakens. Based on our assumptions , we can take it on either side. All these assumptions can be argued. As I learnt from AndrewN through his posts that there are open arguments in wrong options more than those in right options( as you can see open points in D option, you would find hard to conclude on either side) . As GmatNinja explained in one of the post, even correct answer may not prove 100% correct but it strengthens the belief.
In this question, C strengthens the belief that parking may help .

I hope it is helpful.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
hi AndrewN,

thanks in advance

Hello, zoezhuyan. The main issue I have with (D) is that we are not concerned with how people, tourists or not, arrive in Palitito, only with what the buses are doing within the city, whether driving or idling. Yes, the first line of the passage does indeed say that the buildings in Palitito have been damaged by exhaust from the many tour buses that come to the city. However, the damaging exhaust described thereafter is understood to be emitted once those buses are within the city: idling produces as much exhaust as driving. I would call (D) a good trap answer—it does touch on the presence of tour buses in the city—but this comparison to other means of transportation has nothing to do with the argument, which could hold with or without such a comparison being made. Take, for instance, a split of 35/33/32 for the percent of tourists who visit the city by tour bus, automobile, and train, respectively; we could even make it, say, 23/22/20/18/17 and add planes and ferries to the mix, such that more people could be coming to the city on the whole by other means of transportation, and such a consideration still would not affect the argument.

If you look at choice (C) again, you might notice a clever bit of information that fits the linear logic of the passage perfectly: buses spend so much of the time they are in Palitito driving around, leaving us to deduce that these buses, the ones under scrutiny, must either be idling or be parked the rest of the time. The plan to reduce their exhaust by providing additional parking for a third of the tour bus fleet may not be perfect, but choice (C) directly touches on the argument that damage to Palitito's buildings from the buses' exhaust will diminish significantly. The details make all the difference.

I hope that helps add further clarity to this tough question. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GRE 1: Q169 V160
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
egmat would be really helpful if you can breakdown the argument in your way of pre-thinking/falsification?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
swim2109 wrote:
egmat would be really helpful if you can breakdown the argument in your way of pre-thinking/falsification?

The more close options are C and E

C wins over E.

(C) Tour buses typically spend less than one-quarter of the time they are in Palitito transporting passengers from one site to another.
Tour buses spend 1/4th of their time in transporting and 3/4th of time in idling . Idling -->exhaust .
In this scenarios, parking would help as exhaust from 1/3rd of buses would be reduced for 3/4th of their time.

(E) Some of the tour buses that are unable to find parking drive around Palitito while their passengers are visiting a site.
E is a close option . But by using some , the option is not as strong as option C.
It indicates that some buses drive around (or idling ) when passengers are visiting at site.
We can still some open points :
1. Some can be <50 % or >50%. Varying this %age strengthens or weakens the argument.
2. Only some were driving around city ( or idling). After parking is available , still some may still continue to roam around city/idling. The open point is that we don't know whether even after parking space these buses would prefer parking.

E leaves some gap as compared to C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
For years the beautiful Renaissance buildings in Palitito have been damaged by exhaust from the many tour buses that come to the city. There has been little parking space, so most buses have idled at the curb during each stop on their tour, and idling produces as much exhaust as driving. The city has now provided parking that accommodates a third of the tour buses, so damage to Palitito's buildings from the buses' exhaust will diminish significantly.

P : Renaissance buildings damaged by exhaust
P : Buses have idled and produce exhaust
P : The city now provides parking space
C : damage caused will diminish

Any additional information about parking space and exhaust will support the argument.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument?

(A) The exhaust from Palitito's few automobiles is not a significant threat to Palitito's buildings.
-> Automobile is not the concern in this question. The question is focusing on Buses

(B) Palitito's Renaissance buildings are not threatened by pollution other than engine exhaust.
-> There can be other factors threatening buildings. However, if the threat coming from exhaust diminishes, then the conclusion of the argument will stand.

(C) Tour buses typically spend less than one-quarter of the time they are in Palitito transporting passengers from one site to another.
-> Correct. This option implies that about three-quarter of the time buses are idling and making exhaust. Thus providing parking space will expel such exhaust and will significantly diminish damaged being caused.

(D) More tourists come to Palitito by tour bus than by any other single means of transportation.
-> This option only tells us that a lot of buses will stay idle around buildings but does not support the conclusion.

(E) Some of the tour buses that are unable to find parking drive around Palitito while their passengers are visiting a site.
-> It is not important whether the bus is idle or driving around. The amount of exhaust being emitted is same as it is stated in the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
The answer E is tempting at first glance. But not finding a parking space and hence roaming around the city shall still be true with additional parking space. Even if with additional parking space, if some buses can not find parking then the buses either remain in idling condition or roam around the city. So it is not strengthening the argument rather another additional fact after statement of additional parking.

But C tells that the considerable portion of pollution can be saved if considerable time of idling or roaming can be prevented and the option tells exactly that. For a given trip, it says that the idling time is 3/4th of the trip time and 1/4th is actually travel time. Hence 3/4th time idling can be saved with additional parking - strengthening the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
have to say, this is a brutal question and i find it upsetting
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
While I understand how option C is the correct answer, I am unable to eliminate option E.

Some of the buses keep driving around when they can't find parking (driving around creates as much exhaust fumes as idling). So if some of these 'some buses that keep driving around" can find parking in the new system, the amount of exhaust fumes will be reduced.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
elizebethsunny wrote:
While I understand how option C is the correct answer, I am unable to eliminate option E.

Some of the buses keep driving around when they can't find parking (driving around creates as much exhaust fumes as idling). So if some of these 'some buses that keep driving around" can find parking in the new system, the amount of exhaust fumes will be reduced.

The passage explicitly tells us that idling and driving produce the same amount of exhaust, so whether buses idle at the curb or drive around the city while their tourists are on a tour is really not material.

We want to strengthen the argument that the new parking will SIGNIFICANTLY [quantifiers matter a lot in CR! Keep an eye out for them!] reduce the damage done by bus exhaust.

To strengthen this argument, the first thing I would look for is something that tells me buses can and will use the parking spots.

E just gives us another 'set' of buses that, if they were to use the parking spots, would help us reduce damage done to buildings, but it doesn't strengthen the idea that these buses CAN or WILL use the parking spots!

And none of the answers really provide such a justification! So, drat.

But another, more subtle thing: if buses don't spend that much time *waiting for their tourists* (either idling OR driving around)--if buses spend most of their time shuffling tourists from spot to spot--then these new parking spots won't help enough to *significantly* reduce the damage done to buildings.

Consider this math:

Exhaust from buses driving tourists around + Exhaust from buses waiting for their tourists = total exhaust

This argument is predicated on the idea that we can lower 'exhaust from buses waiting' enough that we will significantly reduce total exhaust. But if that 'exhaust from buses waiting' just isn't very large, this plan won't work!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1404 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
For years the beautiful Renaissance buildings in Palitito have been da [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
elizebethsunny wrote:

(E) doesn't strengthen the argument because it doesn't add meaningfully to what we know.

We already know that most buses are not able to park. The fact that some of those that can't park drive around doesn't make the situation materially different since, as the passage says, "idling produces as much exhaust as driving."

So, regardless of whether waiting buses are idling or driving around, providing parking for a third of them will have the same effect. Thus, the fact that some are driving around doesn't change the expected outcome of the plan.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 369
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
For years the beautiful Renaissance buildings in Palitito have been da [#permalink]
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
For years the beautiful Renaissance buildings in Palitito have been damaged by exhaust from the many tour buses that come to the city. There has been little parking space, so most buses have idled at the curb during each stop on their tour, and idling produces as much exhaust as driving. The city has now provided parking that accommodates a third of the tour buses, so damage to Palitito's buildings from the buses' exhaust will diminish significantly.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument?

(A) The exhaust from Palitito's few automobiles is not a significant threat to Palitito's buildings.

(B) Palitito's Renaissance buildings are not threatened by pollution other than engine exhaust.

­MartyMurray GMATNinja KarishmaB and any other experts

For option (C), how can we deduce that if 1/4 of the time is taken in transporting passengers from one site to another, the remaining 3/4 of the time can only be taken in either parking or idling?
Some other scenarios that can happen:
1. Time spent driving around without any passengers
2. Time spent driving to another place to park the bus before he/she completes his duty

The reason why I eliminated this option is that it seemed to take an assumption that the remaining time can only be spent in either parking or idling. ­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1404 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

SlowTortoise wrote:
For option (C), how can we deduce that if 1/4 of the time is taken in transporting passengers from one site to another, the remaining 3/4 of the time can only be taken in either parking or idling?
Some other scenarios that can happen:
1. Time spent driving around without any passengers
2. Time spent driving to another place to park the bus before he/she completes his duty

The reason why I eliminated this option is that it seemed to take an assumption that the remaining time can only be spent in either parking or idling. ­

Regarding, the possibility of 1. Time spent driving around without any passengers, that possibility doesn't change the scenario because, even if they do drive around without passengers, providing more parking will still help to reduce the amount of exhaust they produce while in Palitito.

Regarding 2. Time spent driving to another place to park the bus before he/she completes his duty, the passage is about "tour buses that COME TO THE CITY."

So, presumably, the point is that the buses come to the city with passengers, who tour the city, and then leave with those passengers and drop them off elsewhere at the end of the tour.

Accordingly, 2.Time spent driving to another place to park the bus before he/she completes his duty is out because the drivers would not drive to another place to park the bus while in Palitito. They would do so after leaving Palitito when their tours are complete.­
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts