GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Foster ($$) vs Anderson ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.8
Foster ($$) vs Anderson ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 21:15
Hi guys,

I am having a tough time deciding between two great programs- Foster and Anderson. After scholarship $$, the tuition at both places will roughly be the same. Post-MBA, i am looking to transition into Product Management/Marketing in tech companies. My background - Indian, Engineer (with 5 years of experience in HPC), and based in Seattle. Long term, I would like to live in the Seattle area. Any thoughts/inputs is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Foster ($$) vs Anderson ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 00:21
Hey abhropal ,

Congratulations for the two great admits. :)

Looking at your goals and the place you wanna live post MBA, I think Foster makes sense without another thought.

Seattle has alot many opprtunities for Tech goals. You will get that benefit.

All the best :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 12:57
abhropal wrote:
Hi guys,

I am having a tough time deciding between two great programs- Foster and Anderson. After scholarship $$, the tuition at both places will roughly be the same. Post-MBA, i am looking to transition into Product Management/Marketing in tech companies. My background - Indian, Engineer (with 5 years of experience in HPC), and based in Seattle. Long term, I would like to live in the Seattle area. Any thoughts/inputs is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Congratulations on your 2 admits!

If you have been in the PNW/Seattle, then makes sense to stay there. UW is pretty much the strongest university and many folks have gone there for undergrad, if not BSchool. It will be a good extended network. Most of the strongest Tech is in Silicon Valley or Seattle i feel, not LA.

At the same time, Anderson is meaningfully better ranked and would provide for more growth, higher caliber classmates, larger program with more class options, and change of scenery.

I am with you - it is a tough choice. As someone who lived in LA and moved to Seattle later on, took me a long time to adjust to the weather but I under-appreciated some of the benefits Seattle has, esp if you have a family (good schools, on Eastside that is, actual neighborhoods, somewhat better traffic, though it has been getting a lot worse, lack of LA craziness, flashy cars, heat, and concrete). Still seems odd to leave only to come back but it may be a nice place to get away to. I don't think you will make a wrong choice either way.

Anderson would be a greater challenge, risk, and potential reward. Foster is safer and probably slightly easier. Depending on what you are looking for in life at the moment, one may appeal more than the other.

Good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 11:39
Thanks for your comments! Appreciate it very much.
This is a tough choice indeed, but either scenario is very good. I'll flip a coin pretty soon.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 08:39
abhropal wrote:
Thanks for your comments! Appreciate it very much.
This is a tough choice indeed, but either scenario is very good. I'll flip a coin pretty soon.

LOL.
P.S. If you have a significant other in the area, I would probably stay. Otherwise, Seattle is considered one of the loneliest cities these days: https://factsandtrends.net/2018/03/05/l ... y-america/ (odd that LA used to be on the list 10 years ago) but thanks to traffic everyone calls their friends from 4 to 7 PM while they are stuck. At the same time, I have found lots of conflicting rankings for what "loneliest" actually means, represents, and ranks, so this all may be irrelevant.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 10:48
My experience in Seattle has been quite the opposite. Seattle has been very friendly and welcoming (to me at least) My life outside work revolves around hiking, skiing, soccer etc, which is what I love the most about Seattle/PNW. Correct me if I am wrong, but I get a sense that the overall MBA experience at Anderson may be better than the one at Foster. However, when to comes to Tech jobs, I think Seattle will rule the roost for obvious reasons.
If I may rephrase my original question: lets say I had no bias for Seattle, which of the two programs is more likely to land me a product management/marketing roles in big tech companies (Amazon, msft etc.)?
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 12:30
abhropal wrote:
My experience in Seattle has been quite the opposite. Seattle has been very friendly and welcoming (to me at least) My life outside work revolves around hiking, skiing, soccer etc, which is what I love the most about Seattle/PNW. Correct me if I am wrong, but I get a sense that the overall MBA experience at Anderson may be better than the one at Foster. However, when to comes to Tech jobs, I think Seattle will rule the roost for obvious reasons.
If I may rephrase my original question: lets say I had no bias for Seattle, which of the two programs is more likely to land me a product management/marketing roles in big tech companies (Amazon, msft etc.)?

To answer your question, HBS or Stanford.
Otherwise, probably neither program will have an advantage since on-campus recruiting is not strong with either and alum network for MS/AMZ is probably not the key decision maker. Both hire from a wide variety of programs and give a preference to past experience, career trajectory, and more tangible things rather than which program you have attended (though HBS/GSB always catch an eye of a recruiter).

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Foster ($$) vs Anderson ($$) &nbs [#permalink] 20 Apr 2018, 12:30

Foster ($$) vs Anderson ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap