GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 15:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Foster ($) vs McCombs ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Foster ($) vs McCombs ($) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 20:50
Hi all,

I am looking for some insight/advice regarding my decision between these two schools.

Background: I have 5+ years work experience, currently a software engineer at a large financial services company. Post-MBA, I am looking to go into product management at a large tech company such as Microsoft or Amazon.

Foster: Offering scholarship of $10k/year + waiving out-of-state tuition

McCombs: Offering scholarship of $10k/year

I am very familiar with Seattle as I have a family member living out there. As for Austin, other than knowing it is an emerging tech scene, I basically know nothing about the city. These schools seem to be somewhat similar in terms of tech placement after graduation, so how much do overall rankings matter (McCombs being higher in the rankings)?

Any insight into these two programs would be much appreciated!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Foster ($) vs McCombs ($) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 00:43
Welcome to GMAT Club and Congrats on your Admits!

Tech Product management is a very competitive field. You will need as much umph as you can get (which means networking, differentiating yourself, getting an edge somehow, etc). Just because you happen to be in Seattle, you won't be preferred for a job that a bunch of folks from Sloan and HBS applied for from East Coast. Good jobs have a lot of competition just like good business schools. Amazon hires a lot of ops folks (over 1,000 mba's were hired in the 2017 alone). I would really talk to the current students and ask for how many offers for jobs they have (from both McCombs and Foster).

I feel there is a big difference in rankings - around 10 spots. That has an impact on a number of items - size, class options, classmate caliber, professors, school pride, alum network responsiveness, etc. McCombs is a Top 20 school with a 250+ class size. That's enough to make it worthwhile for an employer to come on campus. You won't get as much attention in Foster, even though you are close by MS and AMZN. Having said that, a family member may help getting you plugged into a network and getting to know some MS and AMZN folks. (There is also Google, FB, Dropbox if they are still alive, etc). But Austin is also a strong tech community. Austin is a great city. You should definitely attend the admit weekend. It is not like typical Texas and really up and coming. The cost of living is much better than Seattle if you are comparing dollars. Unless you want to be in Pacific Northwest long term and you really like it and your family member can get you plugged in, I don't see Foster beating out McCombs.

Just one data point for you. Again, congrats on your admits!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 11:53
bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club and Congrats on your Admits!

Tech Product management is a very competitive field. You will need as much umph as you can get (which means networking, differentiating yourself, getting an edge somehow, etc). Just because you happen to be in Seattle, you won't be preferred for a job that a bunch of folks from Sloan and HBS applied for from East Coast. Good jobs have a lot of competition just like good business schools. Amazon hires a lot of ops folks (over 1,000 mba's were hired in the 2017 alone). I would really talk to the current students and ask for how many offers for jobs they have (from both McCombs and Foster).

I feel there is a big difference in rankings - around 10 spots. That has an impact on a number of items - size, class options, classmate caliber, professors, school pride, alum network responsiveness, etc. McCombs is a Top 20 school with a 250+ class size. That's enough to make it worthwhile for an employer to come on campus. You won't get as much attention in Foster, even though you are close by MS and AMZN. Having said that, a family member may help getting you plugged into a network and getting to know some MS and AMZN folks. (There is also Google, FB, Dropbox if they are still alive, etc). But Austin is also a strong tech community. Austin is a great city. You should definitely attend the admit weekend. It is not like typical Texas and really up and coming. The cost of living is much better than Seattle if you are comparing dollars. Unless you want to be in Pacific Northwest long term and you really like it and your family member can get you plugged in, I don't see Foster beating out McCombs.

Just one data point for you. Again, congrats on your admits!

Thanks so much for the feedback, always helps!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 12:46
I’m trying to determine by talking to current students now, but does anyone know generally what region McCombs students end up in (specifically for tech)?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 12:48
Texas mostly. 10% end up in the West. I think you can find that in the schools employment report.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Re: Foster ($) vs McCombs ($)   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2018, 12:48

Foster ($) vs McCombs ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap