GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 02:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Frequent job changes in MBA application

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Frequent job changes in MBA application  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 04:26
Hi experts,

I have a doubt on effect of frequent job changes in a MBA application.
Considering a scenario where GMAT scores are near the median scores for a school, a decent essay and recommendation, what will be the effect if a candidate has had frequent job changes, say once in 18 months (which is approximately my case) over a period of 7.5 years. (3 changes and 4 organizations in total)
The reasons for change include career growth and some personal reasons.
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Re: Frequent job changes in MBA application  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 10:50
Hi there,

It's hard to say what the effect will be given that I don't have more information on your background and what those roles have specifically been, but the key things are to be able to explain why you made each move and how those moves have gotten you closer to your post-MBA goals (so essentially, being able to "connect the dots"). I hope that helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 21:07
Yeah, Thanks.
I am still in nanscent stages and yet to take GMAT. I have just started preparing. Will come back again once I am clear on my GMAT score and where I intend to apply.
MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 12:36
ss3617 wrote:
Hi experts,

I have a doubt on effect of frequent job changes in a MBA application.
Considering a scenario where GMAT scores are near the median scores for a school, a decent essay and recommendation, what will be the effect if a candidate has had frequent job changes, say once in 18 months (which is approximately my case) over a period of 7.5 years. (3 changes and 4 organizations in total)
The reasons for change include career growth and some personal reasons.

The changes made for career growth reasons are unlikely to be an issue, I think, but as for the ones made due to personal reasons it really depends on what those reasons were and if those reasons will come up during the application process somehow (I would recommend addressing them somehow unless there is a really strong reason not to). If, for example, the reason were related to fighting with supervisors or some kind of behavioral problems on your part, you would need to convince the adcom that you have learned from those experiences, as well as changed since, which can be challenging in some cases.

So while I really don’t want to say that frequent career changes will completely ruin your chances in any way, I would say that the impact they will have depends on the circumstances.

I do understand if you do not feel like getting into too much detail about this on a public forum so feel free to reach out to ARINGO in private here for example: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/ if you want to discuss those circumstances and reasons further.

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 14:54
I honestly don't think 18months is terrible not ideal but not terrible, the bigger problem it can be hard to make an impact and/or get promotions when you are changing companies so frequently. Hopefully the different roles are upgrades from the prior which can also look good on the resume. Also, if there is a method to the change and your career trajectory makes sense again this can be fine. Just make sure if your career story is unclear you make it clear somewhere in the application. Typically there is an area where you can explain in the application after each role

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 09:17
Thank you all for the replies. They have been really helpful.

More about my profile:
1. I went to a Medium scale company right after my under-grad. Worked there in product development for 18 months.
2. I got an opportunity to work in a large scale company (a fortune global 2000 company) and one level up in the same product development. However, I found that the job was not challenging enough and switched to another large scale company in 12 months (fortune 500) as test and planning engineer.
3. Things were going well. But had to return back to my native place on family reasons. So made the switch to a similar company and a similar profile after 18 months. The new role was one level above what I was in.

Just to add, I have always had very good rapport with superiors and was always rated very good.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 17:52
Sounds like you have firm rationale outside of the personal reasons situation for all of your moves. I would make sure to clearly articulate these reasons if given the opportunity in the application form. As stated above many schools offer a few characters for you to explain the reason for leaving

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 13:34
Hey advisers, I could really use some advice!

I posted something similar on here, but recently my job situation shifted AGAIN.

I'm concerned about my job situation.

I think I can pull off a solid score, but I am worried about all my job shifting, new job every 1 or 2 years. Let me recap.

I work in entertainment, so this is very common in this industry largely because many positions are client and project driven, and the turnover is insane.

First job (1 year), started at a reputable but small talent agency as an Executive assistant/Junior agent. Signed a couple clients, was integral to the company, but wanted more. Applied to one of the Big 4 talent agencies, went through a lengthy and tedious interview process and got in.

Second Job (almost 2 years) -Worked at one of the big four in two departments, same title (trainee...essentially the only position available unless you work for 3 to five years in the same department then you might, and I emphasize MIGHT be promoted to coordinator). I was more of a seasoned trainee there, had a small pay raise, brought in a client, worked to bridge the gap with a new department but ultimately I was not cut out for that kind of work, my boss left the company, and I was sort of left to my own devices to find a new access point. I ended up going into a different department but I did not enjoy it and used that job to land some production work afterwards.

Technically 3rd job which was a result of the prior - I worked on a movie with one of the clients which we represented and continued to do some production work. Fortunately the movie was notable, but that stint was short-lived as it was more transitional while I focused on areas that I was interested in. My fourth job was something that piqued my curiosity, so I took it (see below).

Fourth Job, (1 year). Executive assistant/Coordinator (title and pay bump) I worked for a business management firm with entertainment clients. I wanted to focus more on the business side of things, re-calibrate my focus and hone in on what I wanted to do long term. I learned a ton here, and I was pretty integral to the flow of our office. This is ultimately how I came to the conclusion to focus on Business School. I took some psychology courses and liked working on the legal and business side of entertainment and I am glad I did that, but I wanted to take it to a corporate level which is pretty difficult without an MBA. Entertainment is A LOT of legal and finance work despite what people may think. This job was great, and I would have gladly stayed, but was recently laid off due to to economic reasons (our costs was going up, and we could not sign any more clients). This was a huge bummer for both my boss and I.

Anyways, I have very positive relationships with all of my previous employers (good) but I don't want them to think that I am flighty. The moves that were within my control were very decisive and logical. However, there are also moves that are not within my control:

My boss leaving the company
Layoff due to economic reasons

Transitions are very common in my industry, and all of these jobs have been WITHIN entertainment. My end game is not to leave entertainment, just modify my skill-set and settle into an area that interests me in the long term, so in short it is a career change, not an industry change.

IMMEDIATE POST MBA GOALS:
Work in consulting-transition into a corporate finance role at the studios doing acquisitions or operations and logistics.

LONG-TERM
Studio CFO, head of acquisitions and corporate development. Focus on deal points and budgets for departments and evaluating company acquisitions for new media and emerging markets.

I am currently temping and focusing on my GMAT studies. I want to find something that helps my overall interests so I am trying to stay at the studios in the finance, marketing, and business affairs departments but I am really worried this will not look good.

My undergrad degree was in Cinema Studies, I was awarded a couple grants and made a few shorts one of which had a significant budget and crazy logistics. GPA was 3.4 (not an ivy) Currently aiming for a 720+ GMAT and working my way through the test with a tutor.

Ultimately, I thought I wanted to be a producer but I kept gravitating to the more corporate end things and that is where I find my natural skill set is. It just took me a while to find my place and accept that.

Any idea on how to address this in my applications, or how to prevent it from totally killing my chances of getting in somewhere if I have a good GMAT score and decent GPA?
Re: Frequent job changes in MBA application &nbs [#permalink] 11 May 2018, 13:34

Frequent job changes in MBA application

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap