It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frequent job changes in MBA application

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Frequent job changes in MBA application [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 04:26
Hi experts,

I have a doubt on effect of frequent job changes in a MBA application.
Considering a scenario where GMAT scores are near the median scores for a school, a decent essay and recommendation, what will be the effect if a candidate has had frequent job changes, say once in 18 months (which is approximately my case) over a period of 7.5 years. (3 changes and 4 organizations in total)
The reasons for change include career growth and some personal reasons.

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Frequent job changes in MBA application [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 10:50
Hi there,

It's hard to say what the effect will be given that I don't have more information on your background and what those roles have specifically been, but the key things are to be able to explain why you made each move and how those moves have gotten you closer to your post-MBA goals (so essentially, being able to "connect the dots"). I hope that helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 21:07
Yeah, Thanks.
I am still in nanscent stages and yet to take GMAT. I have just started preparing. Will come back again once I am clear on my GMAT score and where I intend to apply.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 12:36
ss3617 wrote:
Hi experts,

I have a doubt on effect of frequent job changes in a MBA application.
Considering a scenario where GMAT scores are near the median scores for a school, a decent essay and recommendation, what will be the effect if a candidate has had frequent job changes, say once in 18 months (which is approximately my case) over a period of 7.5 years. (3 changes and 4 organizations in total)
The reasons for change include career growth and some personal reasons.

The changes made for career growth reasons are unlikely to be an issue, I think, but as for the ones made due to personal reasons it really depends on what those reasons were and if those reasons will come up during the application process somehow (I would recommend addressing them somehow unless there is a really strong reason not to). If, for example, the reason were related to fighting with supervisors or some kind of behavioral problems on your part, you would need to convince the adcom that you have learned from those experiences, as well as changed since, which can be challenging in some cases.

So while I really don’t want to say that frequent career changes will completely ruin your chances in any way, I would say that the impact they will have depends on the circumstances.

I do understand if you do not feel like getting into too much detail about this on a public forum so feel free to reach out to ARINGO in private here for example: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/ if you want to discuss those circumstances and reasons further.

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 14:54
I honestly don't think 18months is terrible not ideal but not terrible, the bigger problem it can be hard to make an impact and/or get promotions when you are changing companies so frequently. Hopefully the different roles are upgrades from the prior which can also look good on the resume. Also, if there is a method to the change and your career trajectory makes sense again this can be fine. Just make sure if your career story is unclear you make it clear somewhere in the application. Typically there is an area where you can explain in the application after each role

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 09:17
Thank you all for the replies. They have been really helpful.

More about my profile:
1. I went to a Medium scale company right after my under-grad. Worked there in product development for 18 months.
2. I got an opportunity to work in a large scale company (a fortune global 2000 company) and one level up in the same product development. However, I found that the job was not challenging enough and switched to another large scale company in 12 months (fortune 500) as test and planning engineer.
3. Things were going well. But had to return back to my native place on family reasons. So made the switch to a similar company and a similar profile after 18 months. The new role was one level above what I was in.

Just to add, I have always had very good rapport with superiors and was always rated very good.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 17:52
Sounds like you have firm rationale outside of the personal reasons situation for all of your moves. I would make sure to clearly articulate these reasons if given the opportunity in the application form. As stated above many schools offer a few characters for you to explain the reason for leaving

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Frequent job changes in MBA application   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2017, 17:52

Frequent job changes in MBA application

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap