Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Schools: HEC LSE MFin "22
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: From 580 to 650 in a month [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Victorgdb,

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you are going to limit your studies to just 1 month, then there will likely be a limit to how much you can improve in that time. From what you describe, you will have to re-learn a number of math concepts (although it's worth noting that the Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test' - it's a 'critical thinking test' that requires that you work through lots of little calculations along the way), meaning that you will almost certainly need more than 1 month of study to get to the point that you can consistently score 650+. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

While most Programs don't care much about the AWA/Essay, you have to be careful about assuming that the ones that you are interested in don't care at all. Most Programs are satisfied as long as you can score a 4.0 (out of 6.0) - and that's a fairly easy score to hit on the AWA. Scoring below that (or essentially 'skipping' the Essay) might be seen as a 'red flag' - and you do NOT want to accidentally have any Admissions Officers questioning whether you would be a good choice to invite to their respective Programs.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) When are you planning to apply (and if it is sometime soon, then what specific application deadlines are you facing?)?
3) What study materials do you currently have access to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Victorgdb,

I'm happy to provide some advice; however, I would also like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. Once you respond to the questions already asked I can provide some advice. In the meantime, feel free to check out the following article:

How to Start Studying for the GMAT: 5 Steps for Success
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answers, you are doing an amazing job helping us here.
I'm planning to apply to 2 schools, INSEAD, and HEC Paris.

I'm trying to get the February session (deadline the 25th of February), but if I don't pass the GMAT, I could try the next July session.

I'm currently working thanks to TTP, recommended by homersimpsons. The lessons are great.
I also have the official guides, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to work on them.

I'm trying to learn as much as possible in the next month, but there is a looot to do. Really understanding 1 module a day is a real challenge. I'm almost full time on it, so it'll be hard, but I will do my best to improve my score and maybe, get lucky and reach the 650-700.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts