Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 00:11 It is currently 14 May 2024, 00:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1363 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FT MBA Tepper vs EMBA Chicago Booth vs FEMBA UCLA Anderson [#permalink]
leandrodamasceno wrote:
Hey, Mo2men! Thanks for the reply!

Well, the thing is that most of the top schools are either focused on consulting or finance. So, as you said, most of the are not concerned with the media industry. UCLA, on the other hand, considers the media industry a major employer and they do have a media/entertainment track in their FT MBA. Not so much for the FEMBA, but FEMBA students have access to the clubs and associations inside Anderson, in a much larger proportion than I have ever seen in any other EMBA program, even Booth. I don't know about their FEMBA career center. I couldn' find many people discussing it. But I do know the FT career center is one of the most proactive among the top-tier programs.

Tepper might not help me so much with media/entertainment, but it seems to be one of the most interesting places for tech and interactive media. So if I go there, it will be to focus on tech and maybe forget media/entertaiment for a while, which does not sound that bad, really. I would just like to have a broader choice to shift my career.

The thing about my age I heard from two schools, and Tepper was clear that it did not really matter at all. Other schools, like Sloan, would simply ignore my question.

I totally agree about taking broader scope of your career taking into consideration your age and appeal for recruiters. Therefore, I'd strongly support UCLA program. Also, I consider the cost of networking will be optimized as you need to exert more effort with firms and media venues. I urge you top open communication or preferably pay a visit to UCLA and have chat with career staff. I think they will welcome and give you some hints.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: FT MBA Tepper vs EMBA Chicago Booth vs FEMBA UCLA Anderson [#permalink]
Really? Even if Booth has a stronger overall reputation?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
leandrodamasceno wrote:
Really? Even if Booth has a stronger overall reputation?

What the high rank will serve you in your case? Booth is highly ranked but it does not provide opportunity in media. Why I should be in Chicago, London and Hong Kong while all the media industry concentrated is in LA? In my opinion, you will need to spend more time try to make network to enter the an industry that is build on relationships. You will be inside the action. This is time consuming. In general for any industry (not media only), a career switcher in age of 40 need to convince recruiters with his abilities and it is not easy and therefore you need time. Again, this is me :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That is very sound advice, Mo2men. I found a topic here about FEMBA vs Tepper, and most people just said that going for the FT MBA is a no-brainer compared to FEMBA. But you are right. I must think strategically about my career. I am still trying to figure out the visa situation, though. Is there a way to get maybe a J-1 visa while studying and living in LA and keeping my job in Brazil?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
DurdenMBA wrote:
That is very sound advice, Mo2men. I found a topic here about FEMBA vs Tepper, and most people just said that going for the FT MBA is a no-brainer compared to FEMBA. But you are right. I must think strategically about my career. I am still trying to figure out the visa situation, though. Is there a way to get maybe a J-1 visa while studying and living in LA and keeping my job in Brazil?

For the last question about visa, you need to consult the international student office but more preferably consult an immigration attorney.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73173 [0]
Given Kudos: 18949
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would pick between Booth and Tepper. If you are hoping/planning to keep your job while studying, I would pick Booth - it is a very strong school with substantial resources in mid-west and Chicago. I don't feel as well about UCLA unfortunately, after getting to know some of their alums and about the admissions standards. The EMBA and FT programs will be quite a bit of a diff experience. In the EMBA, you will be among peers, and people of similar age and place in their career. With FT, you will be the old guy in the class, though it seems they are open minded to older applicants, which is great, and means you will have a small group of you 35+ year olds. FT program assumes taking time off work, getting internship (which is very helpful for career switchers), and allows some time for self reflection... I feel you have a better fit among the EMBA crowd. You can network with all of the other EMBA students who are currently also employed. You can keep your job (which you can always quit and move to Chicago if you potentially find an internship - I would talk to the Admissions/International Students office about ability to do an internship with EMBA and whether anyone has done that before - they may have to think about this one).

Visa is a good question. However, you technically do not need a J1 or any kind of a work permit to work in the US for your company back in Brazil (remotely). It is a gray land that will be probably impossible to resolve since your employer in Brazil is not in LA and did not hire you to do a job in the US. Basically it would be a hassle for the US gov, your employer, and you, and in the end it won't result into anything (unless I am missing something).

Congrats on your admits and good luck with the decision!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Now I have more information to think about. So what is the difference between Booth and UCLA in that case? You said do you don't feel very well about Anderson... Why is that?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts