Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 14:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fuqua ($), Anderson ($$$), or just keep my job and go part-time?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Fuqua ($), Anderson ($$$), or keep your job and go part-time?

• 33% [4]
  • 66% [8]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Fuqua ($), Anderson ($$$), or just keep my job and go part-time?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 18:19
Hi All,

I am very very excited and blessed to be in the situation that I am in. Fuqua (20K a year) vs Anderson (40K a year). I'm a former engineer turned project manager that is looking to get into more of the product management/strategy/bizops side of tech. I either want to go straight into a PM role at a big tech firm, or go into TMT investment banking for 2 years then return to a bizops/strategy role at a tech firm. I am also from California originally, so I plan to stay closer to the West Coast longer term. Given that I am also from California, I qualify for in-state tuition, which is about $15K a year cheaper than tuition at Fuqua.

Fuqua Pros:
- Ivy League-esque brand. Brand means everything in business, right?
- Awesome basketball!
- Cheaper cost of living than in LA
- Does really well in tech and finance (ahem...Tim Cook)
- Concentrations are really cool and a tailored way to pursue specifics to the MBA program

Fuqua Cons:
- It will cost me 40-45K more all said and done to go to Fuqua compared to Anderson
- Further from California...$15 gas for me to visit family from LA vs $300 flights
- Recruiting for tech is a lot harder (flights from LA vs flights from RDU)
- Most of the banking places in NY (I want to recruit for TMT in either LA or SF, then pivot to tech in SF)
- May make coming to the west coast a little harder

Anderson Pros:
- Much closer to family and loved ones
- Huge tech focus + does well in finance
- With my fellowship + what I have saved, I can walk out of Anderson with no more than $70K in debt all said and done
- Parker Career Center is consistently ranked one of the best career centers among MBA programs. End game for me (and everyone, duh) is all about getting those jobs!
- I either want to live in SF/Seattle/San Diego/Denver long term - all of those cities are Pac12 hubs, where UCLA is recognized

Anderson Cons:
- LA is not a cheap city at all
- Not sure if the strength of their program is a little weaker than Fuqua's
- Outside of California/West Coast, doesn't quite have the cachet that Duke/Fuqua has
- I heard that schools allow you to bid for their open interview spots for recruiting...I thought I heard Anderson doesn't have anything like that.

I didn't get into Kellogg (my dream school), but lately I've also been thinking if me leaving my current job is still worth it. I've worked hard enough to make just over 100k a year now. Yeah, I feel like I am bottoming out as far my skills and growth goes, but it is a very comfortable job, where if I wanted to become a PM 3-5 years later (and if the opportunities internally are present), I can look into that while going to my local b school part time. Obviously going to business school helps to get that Silicon Valley/Seattle mega company job and having those lifelong connections. What do you think? Take the money and go to Anderson? Venture out and go to Fuqua? or stay put?
Current Student
B
GRE 1: Q170 V164
GPA: 3.75
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Fuqua ($), Anderson ($$$), or just keep my job and go part-time?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 08:42
Any tuition reimbursement at your job?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Fuqua ($), Anderson ($$$), or just keep my job and go part-time?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 08:43
webster7 wrote:
Any tuition reimbursement at your job?

None unfortunately
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 08:45
What city is your job in? 100k doesn’t seem much in CA

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 09:09
webster7 wrote:
What city is your job in? 100k doesn’t seem much in CA

I am actually a transplant living in Minneapolis currently, but am from CA originally!
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 11:06
What are your part time options?
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 11:07
If you want to change industry, I recommend full time. If you just want to progress in your current field, I recommend part time.
Current Student
B
Schools: Duke '20 (A)
Reviews Badge
Fuqua ($), Anderson ($$$), or just keep my job and go part-time?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 11:25
Current Fuqua student here. I'll touch on a couple of points you mentioned:

- I heard that schools allow you to bid for their open interview spots for recruiting...I thought I heard Anderson doesn't have anything like that.

Bidding is only open for very few companies and I don't recall seeing any in the Tech space at least for internships. So don't really count on this.

Think about what companies you are interested in. For some of them networking doesn't matter at all, and if it matters, you are probably fine with getting on the phone with a couple of people or networking when they are on campus. I don't think this is like IB where you have to be constantly in the banks.

It sounds like Anderson makes more sense for you specially given your geographical preferences. I suggest you do some alumni research on LinkedIn to see which school is stronger sending people to the companies you are interested in.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 12:43
zuperman11 wrote:
Current Fuqua student here. I'll touch on a couple of points you mentioned:

Bidding is only open for very few companies and I don't recall seeing any in the Tech space at least for internships. So don't really count on this.

Think about what companies you are interested in. For some of them networking doesn't matter at all, and if it matters, you are probably fine with getting on the phone with a couple of people or networking when they are on campus. I don't think this is like IB where you have to be constantly in the banks.

It sounds like Anderson makes more sense for you specially given your geographical preferences. I suggest you do some alumni research on LinkedIn to see which school is stronger sending people to the companies you are interested in.

Thank you for the thoughts! Yeah I just wasn't sure how big of a deal the open bidding was, especially with respect to tech, but thanks for shedding some light into that process.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 12:44
webster7 wrote:
What are your part time options?

My parttime options are just the local schools in the area; lots of people have done their evening program and have done well for themselves, too.
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 18:29
Do you like your job and company?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 20:01
Congratulations on your admits!

There are several elements to MBA programs and you have done very well with the 2 admits. Part of the value of the school is obviously academics and what you will learn from professors and your classmates (you will spend 60% of time learning from your classmates and 40% from professors) and Fuqua will have a leg up on Anderson for both of those but not astonishingly so.

However, the most important side is the on-campus recruiting. What Fuqua offers is a much stronger recruiting machine with Consulting, Healthcare, and Tech (and I guess Finance too). If you are not planning to leverage that aspect of the MBA program, then you potentially are not take advantage of the key element. If you are going to rely on your network of family and friends in SoCal to score an internship and a job, then being at Anderson makes a lot of sense - it is the best school in SoCal and third best in California.

I am surprised to hear that Anderson's career center is ranked highest in the nation because few companies come for on-campus recruiting, or at least nothing like what happens at Fuqua or other Top 15 programs where MBB's have offices on campus. I know a few Anderson grads who have taken a while to get placements (they were international applicants but very qualified with quite a bit of work experience). LA is a tricky place to work as an MBA - there aren't many HQ's in LA and most companies that were there have moved somewhere else. I would troll the last few years of Anderson grads on LinkedIn and see where they are working and whether that's what you would envision having. I would also get in touch with the current students to see how recruiting is going and what the real situation is on the ground (but take it with a grain of salt. Nobody will ever say anything negative about their program no matter how bad it is.)

P.S.
If Kellogg is your dream school, have you tried Kellogg PT? I don't know if applying FT disqualifies you from applying PT this year, but there is a crazy idea for you. PT is always easier to get into... Food for R2 thoughts.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 22:00
Sydneyisthebest wrote:
Hi All,

I am very very excited and blessed to be in the situation that I am in. Fuqua (20K a year) vs Anderson (40K a year). I'm a former engineer turned project manager that is looking to get into more of the product management/strategy/bizops side of tech. I either want to go straight into a PM role at a big tech firm, or go into TMT investment banking for 2 years then return to a bizops/strategy role at a tech firm. I am also from California originally, so I plan to stay closer to the West Coast longer term. Given that I am also from California, I qualify for in-state tuition, which is about $15K a year cheaper than tuition at Fuqua.

Fuqua Pros:
- Ivy League-esque brand. Brand means everything in business, right?
- Awesome basketball!
- Cheaper cost of living than in LA
- Does really well in tech and finance (ahem...Tim Cook)
- Concentrations are really cool and a tailored way to pursue specifics to the MBA program

Fuqua Cons:
- It will cost me 40-45K more all said and done to go to Fuqua compared to Anderson
- Further from California...$15 gas for me to visit family from LA vs $300 flights
- Most of the banking places in NY (I want to recruit for TMT in either LA or SF, then pivot to tech in SF)
- May make coming to the west coast a little harder

Anderson Pros:
- Much closer to family and loved ones
- Huge tech focus + does well in finance
- With my fellowship + what I have saved, I can walk out of Anderson with no more than $70K in debt all said and done
- Parker Career Center is consistently ranked one of the best career centers among MBA programs. End game for me (and everyone, duh) is all about getting those jobs!
- I either want to live in SF/Seattle/San Diego/Denver long term - all of those cities are Pac12 hubs, where UCLA is recognized

Anderson Cons:
- LA is not a cheap city at all
- Not sure if the strength of their program is a little weaker than Fuqua's
- Outside of California/West Coast, doesn't quite have the cachet that Duke/Fuqua has

I didn't get into Kellogg (my dream school), but lately I've also been thinking if me leaving my current job is still worth it. I've worked hard enough to make just over 100k a year now. Yeah, I feel like I am bottoming out as far my skills and growth goes, but it is a very comfortable job, where if I wanted to become a PM 3-5 years later (and if the opportunities internally are present), I can look into that while going to my local b school part time. Obviously going to business school helps to get that Silicon Valley/Seattle mega company job and having those lifelong connections. What do you think? Take the money and go to Anderson? Venture out and go to Fuqua? or stay put?

Congrats on your admits-both are great schools. But given your goals and where you are, Anderson makes more sense. Good Luck.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fuqua ($), Anderson ($$$), or just keep my job and go part-time?   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2018, 22:00

Fuqua ($), Anderson ($$$), or just keep my job and go part-time?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch