Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [19]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [9]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [3]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Galileo Galilei had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, includi [#permalink]
Kudos
I settled on A as well.

Meaning: Galileo had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter. The discovered moons include Ganymede. Ganymede is the largest moon in the solar system. The discovery of four moons by Galileo took place by the time Huygens discovered Titan in 1655. The use of had discovered implies that Galileo's discovery took place before Huygens' discovery. The meaning is clear. Two events took place in the past at different points in time. One is clearly time-stamped, i.e. the discovery of Titan by Huygens. How do we know that Galileo's discovery precedes Huygens' discovery? The use of the past perfect had discovered removes this ambiguity. A is, therefore, the right answer.

Quote:
A) Galileo Galilei had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system, by the time Christiaan Huygens discovered Titan, the largest moon of Saturn, in 1655.

There are no issues with this option. The use of the past perfect tense had discovered clearly clarifies the sequence of two events in A. The largest moon in the solar system rightly modifies Ganymede as the modifier in question touches the noun it modifies. Keep A.

Quote:
B) Galileo Galilei had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, which includes Ganymede, being the largest moon in the solar system, by the time Christiaan Huygens discovered Titan, the largest moon of Saturn, in 1655.

The verb tense had discovered is correct. However, the relative clause which includes Ganymede modifies Jupiter instead of the discovery of four moons by Galileo. We can be considerate and say that which includes Ganymede modifies four moons. Then and again, we have a contest between a participial phrase and a relative clause. A phrase is more concise. Therefore, irrespective of how you look at it B is no contest for A. We also have Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system vs Ganymede, being the largest moon in the solar system. Being is used incorrectly as a modifier in B. Eliminate B.

Quote:
C) Galileo Galilei had discovered four moons, including Ganymede, orbiting Jupiter, which is the largest moon in the solar system, by the time Christiaan Huygens discovered Titan, the largest moon of Saturn, in 1655.

A moon orbiting another moon? No. That is illogical. The modifier which is the largest moon in the solar system is dangling. It is supposed to modify Ganymede. Eliminate C.

Quote:
D) Galileo Galilei discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, the largest moon in the solar system including Ganymede, by the time Christiaan Huygens discovered Titan, the largest moon of Saturn, in 1655.

The verb tense discovered in D is incorrect. The use of the past tense in D makes it impossible for one to know which of the two events occurred before the other? Clearly, we know that Galileo's discovery occurred first, hence it has to be expressed in the past perfect tense. Eliminate D.

Quote:
E) Galileo Galilei discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system, by the time Christiaan Huygens discovered Titan, the largest moon of Saturn, in 1655.

The same verb tense error in D is repeated in E.

A is left as the best answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Galileo Galilei had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, includi [#permalink]
Kudos
Galileo Galilei had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system, by the time Christiaan Huygens discovered Titan, the largest moon of Saturn, in 1655.

A) had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system

B) had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, which includes Ganymede, being the largest moon in the solar system

C) had discovered four moons, including Ganymede, orbiting Jupiter, which is the largest moon in the solar system

D) discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, the largest moon in the solar system including Ganymede

E) discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system

Split - Past perfect needed to convey that GG had discovered X before CH did. D & E out.
B - incorrect usage of "which" - seems to modify Jupiter. Jupiter includes Ganymede? Illogical. Eliminated
C - "which" incorrectly modifies Jupiter leading to meaning error.
A - Correct answer.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Galileo Galilei had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, includi [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

generis wrote:

Galileo Galilei had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system, by the time Christiaan Huygens discovered Titan, the largest moon of Saturn, in 1655.

A) had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system

B) had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, which includes Ganymede, being the largest moon in the solar system

C) had discovered four moons, including Ganymede, orbiting Jupiter, which is the largest moon in the solar system

D) discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, the largest moon in the solar system including Ganymede

E) discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system

A: This answer choice maintains proper modifier use and tense use, conveys the intended meaning of the sentence, and is concise. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

B: This answer choice suffers from a modifier error; the phrase "which includes Ganymede" incorrectly refers to the noun "Jupiter", rather than the noun phrase "four moons". This modifier error is further compounded by the use of the verb "includes", which must refer to "Jupiter" as it is singular. B is also needlessly wordy, due to its use of the redundant verb "being". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

C: This answer choice suffers from a modifier error; the phrase "which is the largest moon in the solar system" incorrectly refers to the noun "Jupiter", rather than the noun "Ganymede". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

D: This answer choice suffers from a meaning error; the phrase "the largest moon in the solar system including Gayammede" modifies the noun "Jupiter", implying that Jupiter is the largest of all moons in the solar system, of which Gayanmede is one. D also suffers from a tense error, as it uses the simple past tense to refer to the earlier of two actions; the phrase "by the time Christiaan Huygens discovered..." refers to a discreet point in time and informs us that Gallileo's discovery took place before that time, meaning the past perfect tense must be used to refer to the act of making that discovery. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

E: This answer choice repeats the tense error seen in Option D. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Use of Which, Who, Whose, and Where on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Use of Being", you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense - Use of Had on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Project SC Butler: Day 221: Sentence Correction (SC2)

• HIGHLIGHTS

Use past perfect!

→ BY THE TIME X, Y is a Big Signal: use past perfect.
This sentence uses that structure. The structure is reversed.

Quote:

This sentence is a variation on "By the Time X, Y."
I will simply flip and rewrite the sentence:
By the time Christiaan Huygens discovered Titan, the largest moon of Saturn, in 1655,
Galileo had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system.

By the Time X, Y is a signal to use past perfect.
Time X marks off a discrete point in the past.
Before that time, Y events happened.
To talk about the past of the past, we use past perfect, namely
HAD + PAST PARTICIPLE [verbED]

Quote:

• I see no errors. Keep. (See Notes, below.)

Quote:

which refers to an antecedent noun, and in this case, improperly refers to Jupiter
-- Jupiter does not include Ganymede. The four moons do.
-- but we know that which must refer [absurdly and incorrectly] to Jupiter because the verb includes is singular.
-- the verbal "being" is unnecessary
Eliminate B
Quote:

• Um, Jupiter is definitely not the largest moon
(I hear the Indigo Girls' "Galileo" play in my head. (Linked below.) Levity is good.)
Eliminate C
Quote:

• we need past perfect [had discovered] to talk about "the past of the past."
-- in order to emphasize that Galileo was far ahead of Huygens, we use had discovered (not just discovered)
• The verb "discovered" is incorrect.
Eliminate D
Quote:

• again, wrong verb. We need to use had discovered, not discovered, as is used here. Same problem as that in D
Eliminate E

The best answer is A

NOTES

-- Some words and phrases indicate a time shift.
One such phrase is
By the time X, Y.
Verbs must shift to reflect that time shift.

The Y events happen before the X event.
Write X in simple past tense.
Write Y in past perfect (had verbED).

--By the time X, Y is fairly common on the GMAT.

When we see the phrase in a question involving the past, almost without exception,
(1) the Y events come before the X event,
(2) Y events take past perfect, and
(3) the X event takes simple past.

This sentence is a good example of contexts in which we should use past perfect (had verbED) for the earlier (Y) events rather than simple past.

By the time means "when" or "at that time."
Huygens made his discoveries at a discrete, defined time.
Huygens' discovery is the X event.

The X event rendered in simple past tense (discovered) creates a "stop right here" marker of something that happened before now.
Then we use past perfect to describe the Y events before that marker.

By the time X, Y.
By the time THIS thing happened (simple past), THIS other thing had happened (past perfect).

By the time means when or at THIS particular point in time.

We have one moment at which THIS thing happened in simple past tense. (Huygens discovered a moon of Saturn.)
-- Before that discrete moment in time there were other events, namely: Galileo had already discovered four moons of Jupiter.
-- Simply because of the way that English works, the specific language used in past perfect "announces" that we are speaking about things that happened BEFORE the event later or latest in time.

• Past perfect construction

If two or more events happen in the past and at least one of them is later in time than the other(s), we use simple past tense to describe the later-in-time event, and past perfect to describe the events that happened before that final event.

Past perfect is often described as the past of the past.

Past perfect, active: HAD/HAVE + past participle (verbED)

Past perfect, passive: HAD/HAVE + been + past participle [not in play in this question]

Requirements? To use past perfect
(1) at least one event must be rendered in simple past tense (or we must know sequence from a time marker or stamp such as by last Friday night, and
(2) often NO time sequence words such as after, before, or subsequently are present.

COMMENTS

ravigupta2912 , welcome to SC Butler.

As always eakabuah and itoyj , I am glad to have your contributions.

I wish I could have met Galileo.
I make whimsical lists . . . such as "The 10 People I Wish I Could Have Met."

Then my lists grow. I think I am near 100 persons.
But Galileo is Top Ten.

Well done, everyone. Kudos to all.

Not-so-random sidebar . . . any North Americans or music buffs recognize the words below [which are also a clickable link]? They're iconic.

I call on the resting soul of Galileo
King of night vision, king of insight.

That link is to the ORIGINAL VIDEO (the words in the video are not the lyrics).
The words on the original might confuse, though they're a great story.

This is a video with lyrics -- a little hard to read, but good enough.
Full lyrics are here

four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede,

I think only option A made sense but what I am confused at is how including Ganymede modifies four moons,

I think it is modifying Jupiter no?

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 695
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM

A) had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system - CORRECT.

B) had discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, which includes Ganymede, being the largest moon in the solar system - 'Which' modifies Jupiter instead of moons as intended

C) had discovered four moons, including Ganymede, orbiting Jupiter, which is the largest moon in the solar system - Stated this way, the sentence implies that Jupiter is the largest moon in the solar system.

D) discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, the largest moon in the solar system including Ganymede - Past perfect essential if 'By the Time' is used.

E) discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter, including Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system - same as D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts