Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:55 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 452
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37 (Online)
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37 (Online)
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2291 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Gap in official mock scores and actual GMAT score [#permalink]
Quote:
I will also be getting my ESR in a day or two. Will attach that as soon as i have it.

As you look over the data, replaying what happened during the exam may be helpful. Did you spend a lot more time on the first quarter of questions than you normally do on mocks, for example. If you feel your fundamentals are solid, consider working on your solving approach. May boost your score a bit. Had a 6-hr student who went from a v31 to a v40 in about 30 days. Perhaps work with a study buddy who has strong Verbal skills. There's a study buddy thread on gmatclub you could check out/sign up to.

5 Verbal tips

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Vivek,

I'm sorry to hear that this recent attempt did not turn out better - but this recent attempt is fairly similar to your first two attempts (back in 2021 and early 2022), so there are likely some lagging 'issues' that are still keeping you from scoring higher. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying recently:

1) On what dates did you take the two Official GMATs that you listed (the 640 and this 570)? What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for your 640?
Studies:
2) What study materials have you been using in 2023?
3) Considering how long you have been studying, are you sure that you never saw any of the content from Official CATs/mocks 5 and 6 (either by taking the Exam or working through random practice content in the forums or other 3rd-party materials?)?
4) Is your overall goal score still a 700 or something else?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Gap in official mock scores and actual GMAT score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi vivek1810971,

In addition to the advice provided by Marty, here is a helpful article you can check out:

https://blog.targettestprep.com/gmat-sc ... st-scores/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 452
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37 (Online)
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37 (Online)
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
vivek1810971 wrote:
Hello experts,

I recently gave an official GMAT attempt. I scored a 570 (Q45 V23) 😔. This score is lower than what I have already score earlier (640).

Before I appeared for the official attempt, I gave 4 official mocks (1,2,5,6).

Official Mock scores:
Practice Exam 1: 730 (Q49, V40)
Practice Exam 2: 700 (Q49, V36)
Practice Exam 6: 680 (Q44, V39) [quant score dropped because the section got over before i could finish it. Time management issue. Attempted 27 questions]
Practice Exam 5: 700 (Q45, V41)

Yes, you might think that there is a possibility of inflated scores in either of the above mocks. But I had never attempted mocks 5 and 6 before and for mock 1 and 2, I remembered only 2 quant questions in mock 1.

I am very confused as to what is it that brought me to a surprising 570!!!!

I am planning on reattempting in the next 16 days. I will be doing the online mode this time as I feel that it is the change in the testing environment that is affecting me.

The test centre is 150 km away from my house, so I travel the day before, so that I am well rested for the test next day. Yet, i feel that test centre environment is one of the reasons that is affecting my performance. The other reason could just as well be my weak verbal fundamentals (not sure if this is the reason as my mock scores dont reflect the same).

I will also be getting my ESR in a day or two. Will attach that as soon as i have it.

If any experts can drop in and shed some light on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

To update all those who spared time to reply to my queries.

I gave an official GMAT online attempt today. Scored a 680 (Q47, V37).

Regards,
Vivek.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Quote:
To update all those who spared time to reply to my queries.

I gave an official GMAT online attempt today. Scored a 680 (Q47, V37).

All the best going forward. If you decide to retake for any reason, consider checking out combos that could potentially hit your target score more easily. Had a retake student for example who went from a 650 to a 750 mainly due to their V37 going to a V48. Fair to say, however, that the scoring gets pretty steep on Verbal at a certain point. Even though they got a 750 that had a Q45, another combo may be far easier to get.

GMAT Club Bot