It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 17:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gave my GMAT last month, scored 740(V41,Q49)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 23

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.7
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Gave my GMAT last month, scored 740(V41,Q49) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 06:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Guys,
Finally done with my GMAT. Had a good day. Scored 740(V41 Q49 IR8).
I did my preparation during the course of 4 months. I didn't have any guidance to begin with, so I started off slow. I studied from Manhattan books. But later I came across Gmatclub and I can never overstate the help that I got from various articles and solutions of problems answered by various experts and other test takers. I gave my initial Manhattan and GMATPrep exam and scored 640, 660 respectively. By analyzing the questions I found that I was terrible in SC questions. Hence trusting reviews of eGMAT course on GMATClub, I finally decided to buy their verbal course. This course helped me in improving my sentence correction. Their "Master Comprehension" course provided me the direction of how to comprehend sentences better while reading them.
But while solving official RC and CR questions, I realized that solving them doesn't require one to understand too many rules. To solve CR questions trick is to figure out the correct conclusion. Once you have concluded the passage correctly, solving CR questions become very easy.
RC questions are very similar to CR questions with some different set of tricks. I found many of them in various articles of GMATClub.
In SC questions I found that GMAT focuses more on parallelism, apart from other rules. The trick is to be able to find parallel phrases.
Finally, it is all about practice. Practice and analyze official questions and try to find a pattern in them. Other questions may not be that helpful and are not worth your time. In most cases, they are too difficult.
I could have done better in Quant, as I was getting Q50 in my Prep tests. Probably it has some thing to do with the fact that I gave my Quant first.
Let me know if you guys have any questions.

e-GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 105

Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Gave my GMAT last month, scored 740(V41,Q49) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 10:14
Excellent score, do you mind sharing your strategy for CR and SC. How did you approach the test day and the test itself. Time management etc might be very helpful to others. Congrats

Winners dont make excuses.

350--> 700

https://gmatclub.com/forum/700-q47-v39-ir-7-awa-246682.html

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 105

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.7
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Gave my GMAT last month, scored 740(V41,Q49) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 02:06
For CR, as I mentioned, I tried to understand the conclusion of passage and with practice, I had an understanding of common pitfalls of finding the wrong conclusion and tried to avoid them. After that, finding a strengthening or weakening option was not a very difficult task.
And in SC questions, I used a 3 step approach:
1. Understand the sentence
2. Find error in the underlined portion.
3. Choose the correct option.

Finally, As I always say, GMAT is more about using the strategies wisely, rather than focusing on honing your English or math skills. And for that, practice official questions and side by side analyze your mistakes. More time should be spent on analyzing your mistakes rather than practicing questions.
I didn't worry about time management until the end of my preparation. Initially, I focused on following my strategy well.

Re: Gave my GMAT last month, scored 740(V41,Q49)   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2017, 02:06

Gave my GMAT last month, scored 740(V41,Q49)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap