GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 May 2018, 14:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Giving notice or resigning before receiving decision

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Giving notice or resigning before receiving decision [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 22:55
I have applied to several schools Round 2, finished interviews at a couple, and will be doing interviews for the rest in the next few weeks.

My question is what ramifications there would be to resigning from my company, or at least giving notice, before receiving admissions decisions from any school.

The reasons I am considering doing this is are:
- Will be relocating to the US this year anyway even if I am not admitted to MBA
- Would like to do a global volunteer experience for several weeks before relocation/MBA

Also, since nobody at work is aware I am aiming for MBA, I am having to plan and start initiatives which I know I will not be around to see through.

If I gave notice or left before an interview, would explaining such with the above reasoning make any sort of negative impression on the interviewer?

Also, do I need to report any changes in employment that happen after interview but before admissions decision?

I am thinking to honestly let my boss know about my situation in the hope of making a schedule and plan for handing over my duties. However, this comes with the risk that I will need to leave soon after giving notice, so I want to know what effects that may have on my admissions process.

Posted from my mobile device
Expert Post
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1211
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Giving notice or resigning before receiving decision [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 02:28
What is the big downside of just waiting for a decision and moving a couple months prior to the program beginning? As far as the global volunteer thing, I would honestly recommend that you stick it out because you don't want to look like a flake to the people you're going to be selling yourself to for an internship in October. There are so many global volunteer opportunities within business school as is part of the Spring Break and summer internship process it seems likely that you could squeeze something in during the school term. Maybe I'm missing something but I think sticking with your job until you have a decision in hand and also ready to go to business school is the best idea.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Re: Giving notice or resigning before receiving decision [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 02:42
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
What is the big downside of just waiting for a decision and moving a couple months prior to the program beginning? As far as the global volunteer thing, I would honestly recommend that you stick it out because you don't want to look like a flake to the people you're going to be selling yourself to for an internship in October. There are so many global volunteer opportunities within business school as is part of the Spring Break and summer internship process it seems likely that you could squeeze something in during the school term. Maybe I'm missing something but I think sticking with your job until you have a decision in hand and also ready to go to business school is the best idea.


Thanks for your feedback. I can see the value in sticking it out until an admit decision comes.
For the volunteer thing, it's still something I would like to do prior to beginning the MBA since I would be volunteering in an area quite different than my professional interest during the MBA.
However, I could see holding off until the summer and making it my main "summer before MBA" activity.
There wouldn't be any real downside to this, right? Just an alternative use of time to the pre-MBA vacation.
Expert Post
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1211
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Giving notice or resigning before receiving decision [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 03:02
Interesting so is this an alternative potential career switch? If so you probably want to keep it off your resume just in case it doesn't go well or you don't intend to go that direction with recruitment. You don't want to get into a lot of unsupervised thinking with regards to you know you not really wanting to do the job you're applying for. I'm not really sure what you mean by alternative to the pre MBA vacation. Most of my clients don't actually have the luxury of doing a vacation before going to business school but some do the one-week trip where you're bonding with your colleagues and that kind of thing. I think that it sounds like a good idea to do this during the summer time, it's just a 2 or 3 months gap and perceptually I think employers could understand why you'd want to take the summer off before business school but then when you're getting into like you know six or eight months before business school it starts to raise an eyebrow.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Re: Giving notice or resigning before receiving decision   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2018, 03:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Giving notice or resigning before receiving decision

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.